Anyone Else Soured on Dining Out?

Yeah, I would think 99 % of people would find $9 for a 12 ounce tap beer to be outrageous. Who on earth would pay that price?

Cocktails are routinely $15 in not even high-cost areas.

In NY and other big cities, say rooftop bars and similar venues, probably even more.

Glasses of wine I've seen go for over $10.

Wow! glad we don't drink when we go out. Rather buy a few bottles of wine and have a glass or 2 at home.

Most of the breweries in my area are now at $8 for a pint. Wasn't too long ago they were $6.

If a pint is 16 ounces (we discussed this earlier :LOL: ) that makes it $6 for 12 ounces. Better than $9. Of course, the original $6 for a pint ($4.50 for 12 ounces) was much better.

Wow, I'd be "soured on dining out" too, if I was paying $8-$9 just for a beer when dining out! Especially since I don't even like the stuff. ;) Luckily neither of us drink, so we have been blissfully unaware of the (apparently!) skyrocketing cost of alcoholic beverages in restaurants. We order water instead and the price is right, $0.00.

Now, if they started charging $9 for a glass of water, then I'd join you all in getting soured on dining out. :D

We’re happy hour hunters. We can get craft beers for $3-$4, cocktails for $8. We did that last night and we were home by 5pm. We’re old. LOL

Wow! glad we don't drink when we go out. Rather buy a few bottles of wine and have a glass or 2 at home.

We don't drink and always order ice water when we go out. A couple of days ago, we took another couple to Olive garden and each got their $13 luncheon special - several choices. It was a decent value and the service was more than adequate. 3 of us ordered water but one person ordered a Diet Coke. I thought nothing of it since I had volunteered to take them out as a "thank you" for a kindness. I was a bit surprised when I noticed that the Diet Coke was $4. No biggie, but I would never buy that for myself. I "shop" when I buy my own Diet Pepsi and never pay more than 50 cents a can (usually less.) Soft drinks "on tap" cost more for the system maintenance/clean up/glass washing and ice than the actual "colored water" dispensed. So the profit margin must be way more than beer though YMMV.

Cocktails are routinely $15 in not even high-cost areas.

The last time I ordered a cocktail was about 18 years ago and it was $8, and I then resolved to never order another. I like a drink as much as the next guy but I hate being ripped off even more.

We don't drink and always order ice water when we go out. A couple of days ago, we took another couple to Olive garden and each got their $13 luncheon special - several choices. It was a decent value and the service was more than adequate. 3 of us ordered water but one person ordered a Diet Coke. I thought nothing of it since I had volunteered to take them out as a "thank you" for a kindness. I was a bit surprised when I noticed that the Diet Coke was $4. No biggie, but I would never buy that for myself. I "shop" when I buy my own Diet Pepsi and never pay more than 50 cents a can (usually less.) Soft drinks "on tap" cost more for the system maintenance/clean up/glass washing and ice than the actual "colored water" dispensed. So the profit margin must be way more than beer though YMMV.
I knew someone that worked for a major convenience chain, Circle K. He said the highest margin items in the building were the fountain drinks and the hot dogs.

I knew someone that worked for a major convenience chain, Circle K. He said the highest margin items in the building were the fountain drinks and the hot dogs.

Wow, I'd not have guessed the hot dogs were high margin. Heh, heh, maybe Costco is "cheating" all of us with their $1.50 dog and a drink!:facepalm:

My DW's Wisconsin (Tomahawk) relatives just left for back home last week as they miss the snow and freezing to death. I did find two local places here that have Friday night fish fries, but Catfish instead of Walleye.

My former employer has a corporate retreat in Tomahawk. I spent over 35 years travelling up there. Nothing like the Friday night Walleye or Perch dinners. No way to make a catfish taste that good.

My former employer has a corporate retreat in Tomahawk. I spent over 35 years travelling up there. Nothing like the Friday night Walleye or Perch dinners. No way to make a catfish taste that good.

I have to agree.....Catfish are......well, Catfish!:D

The only restaurant I patronize is a small one at a local airport. I am a pilot, so to sit an watch the planes and listen to my scanner while having lunch is part of the experience.

I have to agree.....Catfish are......well, Catfish!:D

You must still be a Northerner at heart! :2funny: (just joking!)

I love catfish. Food of the Gods! (and Goddesses!) :D

Attachments

• catfish.jpg
    catfish.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 46
I will be taking a party of 8 to a decent restaurant next weekend for a special occasion. Will see if the bill exceeds $100/head, and if I think it's worth it.

I will be taking a party of 8 to a decent restaurant next weekend for a special occasion. Will see if the bill exceeds $100/head, and if I think it's worth it.

Better CC: this post over on BTD! Let us know how it goes.

I did spend 4 years in Michigan and Wisconsin at their fish fries so my taste for Catfish is tainted.:LOL:

Most Catfish is farm raised anymore and the "gaminess" is out of it while Perch (Walleye) is native caught, unless that's changed to farm raised in these times.

Most Catfish is farm raised anymore and the "gaminess" is out of it while Perch (Walleye) is native caught, unless that's changed to farm raised in these times.

Most of the commercially available perch and walleye is wild caught by Canadians on Lake Erie, but there’s still some commercial fishing on the US side.

I watch these folks every spring and fall harvesting from nets they put out a few hundred yards from our place.

Attachments

• FishingBoat.jpg
    FishingBoat.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 46

I am also a fan of catfish. I grew up in the South so maybe it is an acquired taste?

I am also a fan of catfish. I grew up in the South so maybe it is an acquired taste?

I too grew up and still live in the south, and never "acquired" that taste at all. Now shrimp is a differant story for me I can stuff on it! :LOL:

A long time ago I was stationed for a few months in Montgomery, Alabama for some training.

There were about half a dozen places around the area that specialized in deep fried catfish. Picnic tables covered with butcher paper, and they would dump the fish and hush puppies on the table so you could dig in.

Lots of us made a habit of going to one of them at least every Friday after work, and just loved it. Wonderful, tasty fish, cooked to perfection, and great hush puppies to go with it.

No idea if such places still exist, but if not it's a shame.

How do they prepare and serve catfish?

If they filet it and you never see the skin or bones, it might be more tolerable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom