Anyone Else Soured on Dining Out?

In our recent month-long trip in Northern Italy, I really enjoyed dining. Different cuisine and dishes, better service, and the prices were not bad.

Speaking of service, the waitstaff there is usually full-time and long-term. Their job may be life-long and their choice. They were knowledgeable and efficient, in all places that we went. It's unlike the typical waitstaff here in the US, who are short-timers or parttime workers. Perhaps the waitstaff there is treated better than here in the US.

You can probably guarantee they are, both by their employers and their patrons!

Was just getting back into dining out. I was even accepting the higher prices.

Then I saw the brand new "3.5% charge on all credit card payments" at the bottom of the bill and reversed back to a sour attitude.

DW and I used to eat out often because it provided "value" for the money. Rather than spending an hour cooking and half an hour cleaning up, we'd drop a few bucks and eat a moderately priced meal out. NOW, moderately priced meals are fast food. Value is all but gone. We eat out for special occasions or as a social event with friends. Other than that, we eat prepared foods or take-out at home. Things have changed or else I'm reverting to my cheap - pre FIRE self. YMMV

DW and I used to eat out often because it provided "value" for the money. Rather than spending an hour cooking and half an hour cleaning up, we'd drop a few bucks and eat a moderately priced meal out. NOW, moderately priced meals are fast food. Value is all but gone. We eat out for special occasions or as a social event with friends. Other than that, we eat prepared foods or take-out at home. Things have changed or else I'm reverting to my cheap - pre FIRE self. YMMV

This is the problem with us retired folk. Prices go up everywhere and pretty soon what was “value” soon becomes “luxury”. Working people eventually catch up as wages rise, but unless our portfolios rise by {inflation + marginal tax rate}, it’s a permanent loss.

Unfortunately, inflation in “full service and meals” is running hot and isn’t showing signs of slowing. Even worse, some economists feel that category is highly correlated to real underlying inflation.

We just ate out at our favorite restaurant for our anniversary. We each had 10 oz lobster tails.
Note: we are on the West Coast and do not get the deals my sis does in NY.
But since we moved to the beach, we have a better view than from the restaurant.
We have a number of restaurants close by, but we order takeout instead of dining in.

In our recent month-long trip in Northern Italy, I really enjoyed dining. Different cuisine and dishes, better service, and the prices were not bad.

Speaking of service, the waitstaff there is usually full-time and long-term. Their job may be life-long and their choice. They were knowledgeable and efficient, in all places that we went. It's unlike the typical waitstaff here in the US, who are short-timers or parttime workers. Perhaps the waitstaff there is treated better than here in the US.
I love the European dining out experience in the more traditional restaurants - regional cuisine usually very well prepared, attentive professional waitstaff, relaxed dining environment and lingering at table over good house wines. Frankly it’s one of the reasons US restaurants no longer appeal to me. We already have fine dining at home - I focus on finding great ingredients instead.

Last edited:
Price has become a bigger factor for me than when I first posted to this thread. A friend and I used to go to breakfast weekly at the local family restaurant. We typically paid about $20 including tip for our leisurely breakfast of eggs, hash browns, toast, and coffee. Now it’s $30. He was incredulous at the price creep and suggested that we do this at each other’s houses for a fraction of the price. That hasn’t happened, but we have switched to a carry-out loaded gyro from a Greek place for $10 each for lunch.

Breakfast is my main eat-out meal.

Heck, were it just me I'd only eat breakfast & lunch.

Breakfast special ("customer's choice of any breakfast plate") at my favorite mom & pop diner has increased from $6.38 to $7.48, $2 tip, so still just under $10...that is meat plus eggs plus bread plus drink, so I usually skip lunch that day.

Last edited:

Same with us. The food there is so different than Tuscany and below. Delicious. We spent two weeks there in Sep.

Things have even gotten out of hand at the pub. I'll be meeting a few of my ole work buds to watch Da Bears tomorrow at our favorite brew house. 4 craft beers at $7 plus maybe $10 towards the shared pizza plus maybe a shot of Jameson's as a "parting glass" and you won't have much left for a tip if you only brought $50 with.........

We're old time geezers and I'm sure the younger set isn't startled by all this. But, to us, $50/person to have a few beers and pizza while watching the game at the local blue collar pub almost takes the fun out of it.

Eating out more often now than during the covid times, dining rooms back open. Food is better w/o suffering the ride home and no need to eat in car anymore because the dining rooms are open!

This is the problem with us retired folk. Prices go up everywhere and pretty soon what was “value” soon becomes “luxury”. Working people eventually catch up as wages rise, but unless our portfolios rise by {inflation + marginal tax rate}, it’s a permanent loss.

Unfortunately, inflation in “full service and meals” is running hot and isn’t showing signs of slowing. Even worse, some economists feel that category is highly correlated to real underlying inflation.

I basically agree but the kicker is that my income has gone up too. Also, I could eat at a really nice restaurant every night. I still find value to be important - even though I don't have to. I guess it's me and not inflation as such. Kinda sad, really.

On occasion I would hit Bojangles for a steak biscuit combo on the way to work, My last time was my very last day of work... $5.24.
Stopped the other day for the 1st time since... $6.55.... 25% jump in 11 months

DW would like to eat out more because I do not cook and she gets tired of it. We don't because it is so hard to find food that is not so salty or otherwise unhealthy.

On occasion I would hit Bojangles for a steak biscuit combo on the way to work, My last time was my very last day of work... $5.24.
Stopped the other day for the 1st time since... $6.55.... 25% jump in 11 months

Great. Now I want a Bojangles. Sunday morning cravings.

I'll pay any prices for the crack they serve there. :angel:

We took my parents out to eat at a nice restaurant we had eaten at before. When we opened the menu we all but gasped. We told each other we wouldn't worry about the price and enjoy the evening. We can well afford to eat out, but we won't be doing it very often after that experience. To top it off, we had an annoying waitress who kept trying to up-sell us on everything. Good thing we enjoy cooking.

DW would like to eat out more because I do not cook and she gets tired of it. We don't because it is so hard to find food that is not so salty or otherwise unhealthy.

No Thumbs up Emoji..... Same for us too. Way too salty for us.

I quit letting anyone in the lab know that I was scheduled for a meeting in the "big city" (Corp. HQ) because they would beg me to pick up a dozen sliders from White Castle! Yechhhh! When ever I broke down and bought sliders for someone, I threw the bag in the trunk!

We do more live events than going out to eat these days, except when dining out is a social event with friends and family or a club event. Like tonight I was checking Goldstar for tickets and they are having a cyber sale. There's a nice assortment of events in our area that would make a fun night out for under $25 a ticket. For us, a play with a live band, interesting sets and a large cast is much more memorable than going out for beer and burgers for the same price.

When it is just the two of us, we usually only go out to eat for some kind of special or if we have a buy one get one free coupon.

Last edited:
We do more live events than going out to eat these days, except when dining out is a social event with friends and family or a club event. Like tonight I was checking Goldstar for tickets and they are having a cyber sale. There's a nice assortment of events in our area that would make a fun night out for under $25 a ticket. For us, a play with a live band, interesting sets and a large cast is much more memorable than going out for beer and burgers for the same price.

When it is just the two of us, we usually only go out to eat for some kind of special or if we have a buy one get one free coupon.

Heh, heh, we used to snag all the "free dinner" for financial presentation but those seem to have dried up of late. Maybe it's 'cause we never bought and we're now on the "do not invite" list. YMMV

I quit letting anyone in the lab know that I was scheduled for a meeting in the "big city" (Corp. HQ) because they would beg me to pick up a dozen sliders from White Castle! Yechhhh! When ever I broke down and bought sliders for someone, I threw the bag in the trunk!

I've never heard of anyone from the Midwest that didn't like White Castle. :confused:

Every time we are there, we bring a few dozen back for my BIL. You can freeze the sliders for later enjoyment!

Things have even gotten out of hand at the pub. I'll be meeting a few of my ole work buds to watch Da Bears tomorrow at our favorite brew house. 4 craft beers at $7 plus maybe $10 towards the shared pizza plus maybe a shot of Jameson's as a "parting glass" and you won't have much left for a tip if you only brought $50 with.........

We're old time geezers and I'm sure the younger set isn't startled by all this. But, to us, $50/person to have a few beers and pizza while watching the game at the local blue collar pub almost takes the fun out of it.

Following up.........

Met 3 other retired geezers at the pub for Da Bears game yesterday. Got there about 11:30 AM and left about 3:30 PM. (DW delivered and retrieved me.) Had 1 Bloody Mary, 2 Hazy Janes and a Miller Light. Also had an Italian beef sandwich at half time. My tab was $36.75. I didn't have any singles in my wallet so I left 2 twenties and a five = $45. Not too bad. It was a nice crowd. The TV's were fine. The barmaid was what retired geezers would hope for on their big afternoon out. So, no complaints from me or the other guys.

OTOH, we could have watched in my family room and eaten and drank the same or better for less than $20 each. Makes it kind of a close call.

Following up.........

Met 3 other retired geezers at the pub for Da Bears game yesterday. Got there about 11:30 AM and left about 3:30 PM. (DW delivered and retrieved me.) Had 1 Bloody Mary, 2 Hazy Janes and a Miller Light. Also had an Italian beef sandwich at half time. My tab was $36.75. I didn't have any singles in my wallet so I left 2 twenties and a five = $45. Not too bad. It was a nice crowd. The TV's were fine. The barmaid was what retired geezers would hope for on their big afternoon out. So, no complaints from me or the other guys.

OTOH, we could have watched in my family room and eaten and drank the same or better for less than $20 each. Makes it kind of a close call.

But then there would not be a barmaid to check out during commercials.

Following up.........

The only thing that disappoints me about this is the Miller Light. Come on, man, Old Style! It's Chicago. At least you got the Italian Beef right.

:LOL:

The only thing that disappoints me about this is the Miller Light. Come on, man, Old Style! It's Chicago. At least you got the Italian Beef right.

:LOL:

Good point!

At the end of the day, I was thirsty (sometimes the high ABV craft beers do that to me) and just wanted something cold and light. Miller Light was the only light beer this place had on tap. And I succumbed...... :blush:

Speaking of the wrong beer at the wrong time....... up at Irishfest in Milwaukee, we noted that because the event is sponsored by Miller, you can't get a Guinness there. What a bummer! :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom