Anyone else with delayed tax refunds?

CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!

This gets my vote for sucky post of the day! Put your CPA to work after the letter shows up...oh wait it's now July 3 so I guess they didn't mail your letter..:facepalm:

Just checked figuring it was a futile effort on a Sunday- refund approved and due to be deposited 7/9! I'm sure I'll get a nastygram when they find my paper return filed in early March in one of their trailers (I e-filed 5/19), but too bad.

Filed paper return March 28th. Just received my refund check yesterday, July 6th.

I am getting a big refund. Filed electronically early in June and IRS received and are still processing. Playing the waiting game.

Just checked again today... no change. :mad:

+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued – typically in 3 weeks or less – it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!

Any news on this?

Original OP here. July 10th now and my two daughters still haven't received their refunds nor does the system even show any status. Glad to hear they at least get a little interest though.

To make matters even worse, I'm the Executer of my recently deceased mothers estate. Sure enough she received a $1,200. Stimulus check by auto deposit even though she's dead. IRS officially came out later and requested everyone to return the money along with a letter describing the situation. Not wanting to hassle with the IRS maybe years down the road, I nicely sent them a check. You guessed it, 2 months later and the check still hasn't been cashed and I can't close out the bank account until they do.

Great system we have.

We'll see. I just filed today.

My son filed his tax return early March on paper. He said he received his federal tax refund yesterday direct deposited into his bank account. Looks like some IRS office is now open processing returns.

I filed mine on paper late March and have not received my refund into my bank yet.

Progress at IRS's California processing centers. I mailed in my paper return on March 6. I checked the IRS website this morning and it now shows "Return Received" :dance:

Progress at IRS's California processing centers. I mailed in my paper return on March 6. I checked the IRS website this morning and it now shows "Return Received" :dance:

Thanks, that helps. Our's are about the same time frame.

Filed with TurboTax on July 7th, and as of this morning, have received both state and federal refunds. Sorry to those who are experiencing such long delays.

Filed with TurboTax on July 7th, and as of this morning, have received both state and federal refunds. Sorry to those who are experiencing such long delays.

I'm pretty sure the long delays are almost exclusively for paper filers. People who filed electronically (like I did back in February and sounds like you did this month) have typically seen refunds in 7-10 days.

I'm pretty sure the long delays are almost exclusively for paper filers. People who filed electronically (like I did back in February and sounds like you did this month) have typically seen refunds in 7-10 days.

Filed electronically on Feb 27th and still no refund and there are others in this thread with similar situations.

Filed electronically on Feb 27th and still no refund and there are others in this thread with similar situations.

Thus the words "almost" and "typically" in my previous post.

Nope, there's plenty of us here on this forum who filed electronically in March/April and haven't received the refunds yet.

We filed electronically Mid-April. I kept checking the IRS site and it kept saying they received our return. I hadn't checked in a couple days. But this evening it says that it will be paid on July 31.....if we don't get it by Aug 28, to contact them. They listed the $$ that the check is supposed to be for. A really rough estimate looks like a tad over 3% interest for those days we've been waiting. I don't really know what date they use as the 'start' date for the calculation. Anyhow, better interest than our regular savings account by a good amount. Good luck to those waiting.

Original OP again. July 25th here and one of my daughters finally received her check in the mail today after nearly 5 full months. My other daughters return was sent at the same time but no sign of it yet.

At least we have a little progress....

So glad to read that some of those with delayed checks, are finally getting their refunds! Such long delays would drive anybody up a wall.

I got mine quickly, purely by luck since I didn't realize that doing my (fairly simple) taxes in February with Turbo-tax could make a difference.

Checked again today.... same message... return is being processed. Glad that he isn't desparate for the refund he has coming, but it's still ridiculous.

+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued – typically in 3 weeks or less – it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

I think for us it wasn't so much needing the money as it was wondering if the IRS even received the taxes in the mail in the first place. Not being a huge believer in our local mail service, how do you explain to the IRS months down the road that you acutely did mail it? You can't, all you can do is pay the penalties and refile again.

Like many, we use Turbo Tax so you're only allowed so many electronic filings per purchase, the rest need to be printed and mailed which ordinarily isn't a big deal.

E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone

I think for us it wasn't so much needing the money as it was wondering if the IRS even received the taxes in the mail in the first place. Not being a huge believer in our local mail service, how do you explain to the IRS months down the road that you acutely did mail it? You can't, all you can do is pay the penalties and refile again.

Like many, we use Turbo Tax so you're only allowed so many electronic filings per purchase, the rest need to be printed and mailed which ordinarily isn't a big deal.

I don't get your point. If you use TT you know whether or not your return was received and accepted. After that, you can use "Where's My Refund?" to see its status.

I filed a paper return on Feb. 25, 2020. I received a direct deposit Friday July 24, 2020 of my $33.00 tax refund with an extra 39 cents, which I assume is interest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom