Anyone else with delayed tax refunds?

I was pleasantly surprised with the promptness of my Fed refund this year. I electronically filed on 7/12 and was shocked to see the refund posted to my checking account on 7/20. I didn't do a good job with my estimated taxes in 2019 and the refund was significant which made the promptness especially appreciated.

Now, not a word from the Illinois folks regarding my small state refund. I recently turned 73, so I suppose there's a real chance I won't live long enough to ever see it, even if I make it to my mid-80's. It's probably already in a shoe box on some politician's closet shelf!

Last edited:
I filed a paper return on Feb. 25, 2020. I received a direct deposit Friday July 24, 2020 of my $33.00 tax refund with an extra 39 cents, which I assume is interest.

Yes, 39 cents would be the interest amount up through Friday the 17th. It's interesting that you received the payment a week later. I wonder if they stop paying interest once the deposit is scheduled.

I don't get your point. If you use TT you know whether or not your return was received and accepted. After that, you can use "Where's My Refund?" to see its status.

I think he meant that he had used up the 5 free e-files so the returns in question were paper.

Do not despair. I Efiled at about the same time as you and received my refund on July 1st but mine was federal only with no state. Did get extra (3% interest or whatever) on the refund.
E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone

I don't get your point. If you use TT you know whether or not your return was received and accepted. After that, you can use "Where's My Refund?" to see its status.

You didn't follow the post. These taxes were both printed and mailed simply because the TT I purchased from Costco only allows so many electronic returns per purchase. I had already used up the free ones.

In my case my two daughter's had to do it the old fashion way by mail which typically isn't an issue. The IRS "Where's my refund" site also isn't updated/working like it should be. My daughter who received her check yesterday never had her status show correctly on that site.

Filed my parents return at the end of March on paper. Finally, this past week, got the status of it being accepted and a return by check heading their way by the 29th.

We sent in a check and an amended return in mid-April, the IRS just cashed it about a week ago. My accountant (DW) kept asking me WHY:confused: I’m finally off the hook. :D

Do not despair. I Efiled at about the same time as you and received my refund on July 1st but mine was federal only with no state. Did get extra (3% interest or whatever) on the refund.

Thanks tmm99- i have no state as well.... you give me hope!!

I filed mine on 7/14/2020 online and received the $ in less than a week. To file U.S. was.free with FreeTaxUSA.com but they charge for State returns.

The IRS "Where's my refund" site also isn't updated/working like it should be. My daughter who received her check yesterday never had her status show correctly on that site.

Does the status show no information? I sent a paper return certified, so I know it was received on Feb. 26. My biggest concern has been that the "Where's my refund" site continues to show no information. If it would show some kind of processing status, I wouldn't really care about the wait. I'm more worried that it's been lost somehow.

Does the status show no information? I sent a paper return certified, so I know it was received on Feb. 26. My biggest concern has been that the "Where's my refund" site continues to show no information. If it would show some kind of processing status, I wouldn't really care about the wait. I'm more worried that it's been lost somehow.
I mailed my paper return Feb 25. The "Where's my refund" site did not show any info at all, until maybe 9-10 days before I received my direct deposit July 24th. Mine was mailed to Kansas City, so other sites may be opening slower or faster.

I think it's safe to say the "Where's my refund" site isn't working like we all expect to, our experience being a perfect example. Like others have mentioned I think a lot of the delays are based on which IRS address it was sent to. I think our California (Fresno) office probably had the longest closure because of Covid-19 so it doesn't surprise me.

It's funny, each IRS office has a different address depending on your if your tax return has a payment due or has a refund. I sent my check/tax return with payment due on the same day as my daughters taxes and my check was cashed within days. So far a 5 month difference.

Refund coming

Paper filed my 93 y/o DM's (living in TN) taxes on March 6, 2020. On July 8th website stated forms received and being reviewed. Today, July 27th website says refund should direct deposit between July 29th and Aug 3rd.:dance:

Refund amount is about $17 more then the refund I calculated. Must be getting some interest on the money.

Well, still didn't get my refund, but this morning when I was away from home and was checking my email on my phone, I checked the USPS email for Informed Delivery and it showed there would be a letter from the IRS waiting for me when I got home. And it wasn't the kind of envelope you get from the IRS with a check inside.

So I thought, this can't be good. I got home, and found the letter to be asking to verify my identity before they would send a refund. I logged onto the IRS website and could go no further after they couldn't verify my cell phone number with my carrier.

I called the number on the form, was told hold time was going to be 30 minutes. Turned out to be about 90 minutes. I was asked to verify several pieces of information, and some numbers from my 2018 and 2019 tax returns. They then successfully verified my identity. I was then told my return would now go to the back of the line again for processing and not to expect a refund for at least another 9 weeks!

At this rate, our scientists will have vaccine approved and deployed for Covid before the IRS gets around to mailing my refund for a return that was sent in the last week in February.

I suspect that the fact that my mailing address changed between the time I mailed the return and now, was the reason for the request for ID verification, but the IRS clerk would not go into any detail as to why this ID verification was triggered or needed.

What a system!

Last edited:
You win the award for the worse IRS story of this thread!

Finally seeing progress

I checked today and our refund has finally been processed and approved, (which was submitted mid March)... 4.5 months to process. Hoping to see it in our account the end of next week...

:dance:

Our return was accepted by IRS mid-April. When I checked for 'where's my refund' all it would say is that it was received. Then a couple days ago it said 'refund to be issued on July 31'. On July 31 (Friday) it said that the refund was issued. Today, August 1 (Saturday), one day later, it was in our rural mail. That was quick once it was issued. And yes, there was a little bit of interest added to the refund amount. Glad that's over.

My other daughter also received her's today, finally complete. Maybe it's only here in California but federal tax refunds always arrive in the mail on a Saturday. Why is that? For as long as I can remember IRS checks only arrive on Saturday. Do they only mail them on Thursdays or something. Strange.

CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!

Any update?

Update on my post from July 16 when I said I mailed in my paper return on March 6 and IRS website finally showed "Return Received". It took close to another 3 weeks before the site showed "Refund Approved" and yesterday it showed "Refund Sent". Looks like I'm getting $163 in interest.

Last edited:
E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone

Update: I got a rep on the phone Friday. Said it was being worked on and could take up to 8 weeks. This weekend Where's my refund page says refund approved and payment expected 8/5!! My uninformed guess on the delay is my e file was kicked out because I started a consultancy business and my refund was larger than it has been in the past and probably needed someone to look at it.... which happened after my call with the agent.

Found these instructions on how to reach an IRS rep for those that are interested:

Here are the steps you need to take to reach a real person on the phone at the IRS.

Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
 - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
 - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
 - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
 - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
 - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
 - Any letters or notices we sent you
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

IRS refund of $6203 received by Direct Deposit last night, plus $82.22 of interest. Wahoo!

Mailed return on March 8th to Fresno, California office.

Just checked the IRS Where's My Refund site. It finally acknowledges existence of my return. It says my refund will be sent to my bank account tomorrow. So updated, but still a little behind.

Last edited:
Update - Finally got my refund yesterday with a little over $21 interest added.

Still waiting on my refund. Filed electronically on 02/27.

Back
Top Bottom