Anyone following the Rio Grande Flooding?

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's getting a little exciting around here. Major Flooding on The Rio Grande in Starr and Hidalgo County, July, 2010

The nearby Rio Grande has risen quite a bit since they bumped up the release from Falcon Dam on July 8. They increased the release rate another 50% today! We stopped by the levee today and saw the water had spread all the way to the levee although it was not deep. Today they closed the state park next door until river levels drop.

There was just so much water dumped into Mexico from Alex plus last week's tropical depression and it all flows into the Rio Grande.

Audrey

reminds me of when i lived in Laredo as a kid and hurricane Beulah came thru... our backyard backed up to the Rio Grande and you wouldn't believe what all i saw floating down the river over the few days after the hurricane passed

If that flood makes it SW PA, we are in deep..................

Thanks for the update. RGV is our winter home, maybe more someday.

There is usually info about weather on the Snowbirds of rv.net. Seems mosquitoes are especially bad this summer with the standing water.

I'm more concerned if Dirty Al's will have shrimp.

Thanks for the update. RGV is our winter home, maybe more someday.

There is usually info about weather on the Snowbirds of rv.net. Seems mosquitoes are especially bad this summer with the standing water.

I'm more concerned if Dirty Al's will have shrimp.
Plenty of shrimp around here. I picked up some local jumbo beauties yesterday.

I think I read recently that the shrimp would be OK. We also enjoy the shrimp at Dirty Al's :D

Audrey

I think I read recently that the shrimp would be OK. We also enjoy the shrimp at Dirty Al's :D

Audrey

And even if they were soaked with oil.... you could have Dirty Shrimp at Dirty Al's...:ROFLMAO:

We're about to check our levee again. The water should be a few feet higher.

Yesterday we walked to the Bentsen State Park entrance and didn't see any water there, but apparently it was just 1/4 mile down the road. Most of the interior roads are flooded. Someone posted pics here: Texas Parks and Wildlife - Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park | Facebook

Some of the businesses inside the levee (there are very few) were flooded in the last couple of days.

The water we are currently dealing with is coming from a reservoir high pretty far away in Coahuila Mexico. This is flowing into Falcon Lake, and that is what is causing so much water to be released 70 miles upriver from us. Falcon Lake has reached it's higher level ever (record stage).

Fortunately Amistad reservoir is going to slow it's releases to reduce some of the flooding at Falcon Lake.

More on the flooding: Valley's sunny skies belie flooding threat

Audrey

Audrey
Hey, who needs match-light charcoal when you have match-light shrimp?
box_match_light.png

Back
Top Bottom