Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spending 4-6 weeks in Key West Jan/Feb with my wife, 20 month old son, 4 month old daughter, and two cats. We are driving from Minnesota. Wish me luck.

Athena: I am so glad that you have something to look forward to. YOu are having a tough time. Hugs:))

7th (or is it 8th?) trip to Africa next week to see DS. Flying to Chicago to meet his wife and help her get the 2 yo and newborn to Africa. About 30 hours from wheels up to final landing, spend night in Dar Es Salaam and then 4-5 hour drive to his place. That drive is always interesting.

These long flights are getting old. Keep eyeing upgrades but just to do the 4 long legs is another $2,500. Yes, we could afford it but it's just hard to swallow. Drinks and xanax are a lot cheaper!

Athena , Sorry you are having such an awful year . I feel having something fun to look forward to is great .

Just made the final payment on a Feb 1 cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.
So I guess we really are going. Booked flights into Montevideo two weeks early we could do some touring. One week in Chile after the cruise, then three weeks plus a few days in Panama and Costa Rica on the way home. Maybe some of the snow will be gone by mid/late March. Have yet to make a plan for the pre cruise time in Uruguay and Argentina.

Have yet to make a plan for the pre cruise time in Uruguay and Argentina.
Rent a car and drive to Punta del Este (Miami Beach South) then head north along the Atlantic until you run out of good road.

Then check out the falls.

Going back to "the villages", Florida in January. Y'all laughed at me when I mentioned I was going last year, but we had a surprisingly fun time with my in-laws. I did almost get hit by a few high-speed golf carts. Last year we took a vacation from the in-laws and headed down to Orlando, Kennedy Space Center. This year we will take a vacation, from our vacation again and head to St. Augustine. Looking fwd to visiting some of our nations oldest structures. If anyone has St. Augustine suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited:
I was reading about the villages and it seems like an adult playground. I can see why you had fun. However, I hate Florida weather.

kkown...thinking of doing exactly that. Toying with the idea of driving to the falls vs flying. We fly into Montevideo on Jan 21 and do not board our cruise until Feb. 1. Also looking at Cordoba and driving south from BA.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Our plan for Chile is a day or two in Maipo Valley, a day or two on the coast perhaps, and another few days in the Andes.
Suggestions always welcome.

We have Panama and Costa Rica covered. We will be expat friends in Boquette who have lived/worked there for 25 years. We spent six weeks travelling up and down Costa Rica. We have a rough plan for our time here.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Our plan for Chile is a day or two in Maipo Valley, a day or two on the coast perhaps, and another few days in the Andes.
Suggestions always welcome.

A highlight of my 1997 trip to South America was the "cruise across the Andes". We flew south to Puerto Montt (which reminded me of St. John's, NL) and from there, crossed the Southern Andes by a combination of bus, boat and hovercraft over several lakes. Our journey started with Mount Osorno in the distance. It was a Friday, and our ferry stopped in the middle of a lake to pick up some boarding schoolchildren heading home to remote areas for the weekend. We stayed overnight in a rustic lodge in a beautiful lakeside setting, and proceeded through redwood forests and snow capped peaks to Bariloche, Argentina. But the journey can be done in one day.

Last edited:
Snowing and cold in Calgary today. Booked a last minute AI to Puerto Vallarta to get some sun and beach time. Leave in 10 days, cannot wait.

I RE next March so in December I am going to start applying for the Coyote Buttes North permit lottery to visit The Wave. Anybody gone there?

keith...will send you an email.
cheers

I haven't gone there- yet. Spend some time in Antelope Canyon when you're there. Awesome area.

Done that, but I'll probably go back again.

Attachments

• 1960.jpg
    1960.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 26
When you're in that area, I think one of the least known but most interesting spots is Walnut Canyon NM, a short distance east of Flagstaff. It's small, and will only take you half a day at most to explore, but well worth it IMHO.

When you're in that area, I think one of the least known but most interesting spots is Walnut Canyon NM, a short distance east of Flagstaff. It's small, and will only take you half a day at most to explore, but well worth it IMHO.

I would not consider Walnut Canyon very close to Coyote Buttes, but I would go there as part of a trip to NM.

First planning of (and deposits made for) a post-retirement big trip (may not be the first big trip, but long lead time needed on this one).

Mid-May, 2018, 10 day dive trip on Naia in Fiji. Late July 2018, 9 day Humpback trip in Tonga on Naia (they move the boat and will take our gear along, leaving us free to backpack.). Have a lot of time to think about what to do with the 2 months in between.... Northern Part of Australian Big Lap? Chill on the two island nations? other? (Wrong season to hike/explore NZ.)

Any suggestions?

I would not consider Walnut Canyon very close to Coyote Buttes, but I would go there as part of a trip to NM.

175 miles. If I were making a trip out there, it would only be a small fraction of my total driving distance. But I like long trips. NM is the next state over.

175 miles. If I were making a trip out there, it would only be a small fraction of my total driving distance. But I like long trips. NM is the next state over.

Oops, yes my bad. Thought NM was New Mexico, not National Monument. I definitely drove farther than that on my Arizona trip last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom