Anyone know what this is/was??

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok. Obviously a really, really slow day here at the marko household but here goes:

About 50+ years ago a neighbor was putting in a new driveway and dug up this "thing". It was rusted metal, round and about 4 feet high and maybe 2 1/2 feet around.

Half of it looked like 6 inch pipe and the other half had dozens of these (for want of a better word) "fingers" that radiated out about 18 inches on each side from the center. As far as I know, the ends of those fingers nor the pipe end were not open to air so my theory of some sort of drain doesn't fit; I'm also wondering if it might be the innards of a boiler...except the land was mostly farmland.

It looked a lot like the hairbrush photo below, except of course it was metal and weighed a couple hundred pounds. It's possible it was farm equipment but I don't know. It has long since disappeared; no one knew what it was at the time but I've always wondered.

Anyone here have a guess (and please, no, it's not a giant hair brush!)

download.jpg

Perhaps a "spike aerator"?

img10826928med.jpg

(and please, no, it's not a giant hair brush!)

Oh drat! There goes my best guess. It looks just like one. I thought maybe the Jolly Green Giant's spouse had dropped her hairbrush.

Sounds like part of an old cotton gin:

I doubt it...not up here in New England. Plus the fingers were about two inches in diameter and 18 inches long

Perhaps a "spike aerator"?

Possibly. But the ends of the fingers were blunt and (as note above) about two inches across. I could see two of these on each side of a wagon or something though.

I thought it was Kim Kardashian's hair brush.......she's got a pretty big head.

Based on RobbieB's tip of a spike aerator I did some googling and found this:

Looking like its a "sheepshead roller" or "sheepsfoot roller" used to compact earth. Thanks folks!

images (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a hair brush I combed our pets with to remove shedding hair.

Maybe it was some kind of farm equipment "stirring" attachment, made for moving grain around in a hopper, or moving foliage around in some harvesting machine.

Do you all remember the Boufont (sp) hair styles that the Ladies had in the 60-70's. This was the hair brush they used! LOL

Back
Top Bottom