Anyone made it thru residual income (royalties, ad revenue, etc.)?

Alas, if you work for a megacorp, when you join they make you sign over the rights to all patents obtained during your tenure, even for ones you create outside of work on your own time.

Then again, I'm not sure if that's universal or if I got suckered as a fresh-face college grad who didn't know any better.
Pretty universal. I did in twice - once for each job I had.

I fail to see how if you were given a job & told what was required how you can begin to think you got suckered. At what age do people stop being victims & instead are responsible for their choices?

I fail to see how if you were given a job & told what was required how you can begin to think you got suckered. At what age do people stop being victims & instead are responsible for their choices?

Turning over patents developed outside of work on your own time does not seem like a fair request to me, even if it is standard industry practice. It seems like something industry lobbyists would work to get backed.

I agree 100% with Nords. Reading smartpassiveincome.com for the past 4 years really opened by eyes to what is possible AND how to make it happen.

I have a blog/website related to my industry. I have a few online classes, a paid private forum, and a few digital products I sell. The site has been up for 2.5 years and makes about $40k in digital product sales (passive income) plus I do some coaching and mentoring which brings in another $5k or so a year (not passive but I enjoy it). As I add more products and classes, my income increases.

It takes me 5-10 hours a week to maintain plus additional time to create new products/courses. I outsource some admin tasks and a small amount of the writing.

I still run another related biz part time as well but the plan is to eventually sell that and just have the blog until we can completely retire in about 10-12 years. Then I suppose I will sell the blog...depends on how I feel and how much $ it is making.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom