Anyone Reaching FRA in 2020, Decisions on SS.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yeah I know, but we do enjoy typing about it. I will reach FRA in January 2020 (Aquarius). At the moment I am not planning on taking SS as DW is under 65 and reliant on the ACA for her Healthcare needs. We (like others here) manage MAGI by using stashed cash in order to enjoy the maximum subsidies. Assuming the ACA will not be completely desimated by the time she reaches 65, and in the absence of any other pre Medicare health insurance options, the current plan is to forgo SS.

Another option would be for both of us to take SS when I am 67 and DW is 62 and use it to fund her HI costs..... Thoughts, anyone else doing this?

DH/me are both 62. I'm 3 months older than him. We'll take SS at 65 when he stops consulting. We still have an income as married filing jointly, but have to keep income low for ACA. We contribute the maximum to HSA and tIRA to keep income low.
Pension kicks in at 65, so fingers crossed we stay healthy. Consulting is a part time gig, so it feels like RE for him. He makes his own schedule and has plenty of time for play.

I will reach FRA in Nov 2020 and as YW is only 38 we do not factor it in to our plans. I took SS at 62 and I have Medicare part A which I do not use. We both have private HI coverage which runs $1,571.00 per year for both. My YW works at the best private hospital in SA, so we really never think about medical care.

Back
Top Bottom