Anyone spent a lot of time in the Southern Caribbean?

I often take cash, credit, and id in a zippered bathing suit pocket when I go snorkeling or swimming off the beach. The cash just gets wet and survives fine.

What do you do with car keys though?

We have been to Aruba twice had no issues. Have always left rental car locked with no valuables in sight.

I often take cash, credit, and id in a zippered bathing suit pocket when I go snorkeling or swimming off the beach. The cash just gets wet and survives fine.

What do you do with car keys though?

I’m hoping the old truck we will rent won’t have an electronic key. We’ll see. We are renting vehicles through our landlords so they will likely have advice. One thought is that people are unlikely to steal cars on an island. Kinda hard to hide out.

We use one of these for keys, cash and driver's license license in Bonaire. Can also fit smaller glasses. Put it in a pocket or around your neck and under your wet suit. They float so always make sure it is attached.

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice...rical+dry+box&qid=1559612201&s=gateway&sr=8-1

They can be a little hard to open from the pressure after visiting the Hooker, if you know what I mean.

Thanks! Does it really keep everything dry, and will a credit card fit in it? Good to hear the pressure doesn’t crack it. The Hooker is pretty deep.

Definitely keeps everything dry. Buddy Dive where we stay in Bonaire loans them out to guests. i'm not sure about a CC, I think it will fit. But for $10 you should just buy one.

Pelican and Otterbox both make different sizes of waterproof cases that will fit whatever you need them to. I have a couple different sizes and am able to fit my Rx glasses, driver license, credit cards, keys in it. Just put it either in my BC pocket or clipped to me somewhere.

Thanks. We have a Pelican box but it’s kinda big. Will look into smaller versions.

Looks like a great trip! Next to Cozumel, Bonaire is my favorite Caribbean dive location. I have also dived in Curacao and its very good also. Aruba is sort of ho-hum but it doesn't look like you're planning much diving there anyway.

I did what folivier suggested - an otterbox w/CC and keys in my BC pocket. Make sure to leave the vehicle unlocked. I'm still amazed that the Bonaire police doesn't crack down on shore diving theft, giving that diving is so integral to the local economy.

Have a great time and let me know if you need a buddy :)

Back
Top Bottom