Anyone study Latin in school?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I did, but was a regrettably poor scholar. I need a translation. Basically, I need what the centurion would have shouted to the legion to advance. "Legion advance" or "Legion, charge!"

Can anyone help?

Boy, your Latin classes must have been better than mine!
All I remember is the million little stories about Pudens and Puella!
Wish I could help, but midway through Latin I the teacher left, and they replaced her with the wrestling coach! That might explain my ignorance!
Sarah

I went to a Catholic high school in the 60's so of course I took Latin but do I remember it ? No that nun scared us silly even thinking about it today gives me the shakes .

There was a fetching young lass in my last year of high school. Must have been from Spain if i recall right...

What happened to the other 8 officers?

I did, but was a regrettably poor scholar. I need a translation. Basically, I need what the centurion would have shouted to the legion to advance. "Legion advance" or "Legion, charge!"

Brewer - IIRC legate ("legatus legionis") was the guy in charge of the legion, not a centurion.
Legion in Latin is "legio".
But centurion could yell legionaries ("legionari").
And you can certainly borrow the verb coniugation from Monthy Python (Life of Brian) here.
So he could shout: "Legionari, ite!"

Sailor,
who did not had Latin in school, so it just pure speculation.

I took two years in high school, but it was too long ago.

All I could tell you is that I would think the verb should be in the second person plural present imperative.

2Cor521

I had Latin for 4 ponderous years.
I don't remember much of it but it does help with crossword puzzles.

My fondest memory is how I got out of the "Latin-night" event that everyone had to go to where the Seniors ("Sixth form") performed onstage.... I volunteered to be the guy in the Audio-Visual room who manually turned down the English words to the song "Wild Thing"... so that all the guys on stage in togas could sing it in Latin.... and get the music back up so that they could rock out in between the words.
... and this was not even a Catholic school!!

Back
Top Bottom