Anyone using Turbo Tax and....

skipro3

Recycles dryer sheets
e-filed this year with a direct deposit to your bank account? Have you gotten your return yet?

Turbo Tax says the Feds accepted my return on the 2nd of February but the IRS website they don't have it yet. For the past several years, I've gotten the direct deposit within a week. This year... nada

Rumor is; the feds are hanging onto e-file money for up to 4 more weeks to eek out the interest they can bank before relinquishing the refund back to the tax payer. They 'claim' they don't have the tax return yet, but Turbo Tax says, oh yes they do!!

That's just wrong if it's true.

e-filed this year with a direct deposit to your bank account? Have you gotten your return yet?

Turbo Tax says the Feds accepted my return on the 2nd of February but the IRS website they don't have it yet. For the past several years, I've gotten the direct deposit within a week. This year... nada

Rumor is; the feds are hanging onto e-file money for up to 4 more weeks to eek out the interest they can bank before relinquishing the refund back to the tax payer. They 'claim' they don't have the tax return yet, but Turbo Tax says, oh yes they do!!

That's just wrong if it's true.

Interesting! My federal return was accepted yesterday, and the $370 that I owe them was deducted directly from my bank account today. So typical! :LOL: I'm sure the refund that Louisiana owes me will be weeks.

California paid me in 3 days. DD to my checking account. Funny, I would have thought Cali would have stalled. They have in the past, called it a 'warrant'. (Defined as worthless paper) I can't spend a warrant. Ha!

Anyways, I always over pay just a bit to cover my property taxes due April 10th. I'm sure my fed return will be in the bank by then, but how could I be sure when they won't even acknowledge I've filed and that they have received my e-file, now almost 2 weeks after TT says they were notified the feds received and accepted it.

For the past several years, I've gotten the direct deposit within a week. This year... nada

The roll-out of new anti-fraud systems at the IRS has caused a delay of many refunds. Refunds from returns filed before Jan 26 have been delayed a week, so they are now taking up to 21 days. Not sure if returns filed on your filing date (Feb 2) are affected, but it's very possible.

Thanks Onward.
I'm not believing their story about anti-fraud system. I paid good money for what I was told to be the fastest return. I'm finding out it's not the fastest. Currently the e-file with paper check payment is faster than a DD. Sorry I am suspicious, but I don't trust them to be honest over this issue.

So, anyone e-file and get a direct deposit without a long delay yet?

Anti fraud is true - apparently scammers are filing fake returns and snatching people's refund before the real return is filed.

I'll ask my daughter - she filed around the same time for a refund.

I efiled with TurboTax 2 weeks ago or so, got an acknowledgement the next day that it had been accepted, and the refund showed up in my checking account this morning.

If this was simply a delay due to the anti-fraud checking, that would be one thing, but the IRS website called "where's my refund?" states they flat have NOT received my submission. Turbo Tax states they have received the acknowledgment that the IRS has accepted my e-filed tax return. I filed state at the same time and got my refund in my checking account within hours.
Many people on TT Q&A are complaining of the same thing; That the IRS has not acknowledged receipt of their filing.
IRS sure is quick to demand that I pay taxes but they sure are behaving badly when it comes to refunding my overpayment.

I just checked TT questions and answers page. There are 10's of thousands of questions just like mine; where's my return after weeks of TT e-mail saying the IRS accepted it....

Thanks for the thread, I was worried it was something I did wrong.
I file on behalf of my three sons using turbo tax. I told them they would have there direct deposits in a week or two. So far, they have not received the money and the IRS website says they have not received the return.
I will let them know that they will get the money at some random date in the future.

My daughter filed late January and received her refund "a couple of days ago". There may be a bit more delay not as filing ramps up but I doubt there is a strategy to do this intentionally. Interest on the float isn't that much and no one in DC can keep a secret that long.

In my experience, there is no reason at all to believe that Intuit is more likely to be "telling the truth" than is the Federal government. Intuit generally buys the smaller competition that have better products (see Mint.com and the history of tax software) in order to maintain a competitive position that allows them to overcharge for bloated, advertising heavy software. Their customer service has always been notoriously awful. The Tax Act post above probably pinpoints the issue: it is not the Feds that are lying to you ... other more reliable companies seem to be able to achieve results!

Finally after weeks of denying that they are holding the information about e-file returns, the IRS website posted this;

We are aware that some taxpayers who have filed electronically and received an acknowledgement from the IRS are concerned when they visit "Where's My Refund" and are told that we have no information regarding their return. This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days. At that time, taxpayers will be able to get an expected refund date when they visit "Where's My Refund."
If a taxpayer received an acknowledgment message that their e-filed tax return has been received, they can be assured that the IRS has the tax return even though "Where's My Refund" does not reflect that. Taxpayers should not call the IRS unless specifically directed by "Where's My Refund," as there is no new information to give them.

The issue still stands; why are they holding my refund, when every year prior, I got it within the week? Their explanation is only addressing the status update of the refund, not the delay in receiving the refund. It sure sounds to me that they are exercising their claim to get refunds within 21 days;

We expect the vast majority of tax refunds to continue to be issued within the historical range of 10 to 21 days. The IRS is taking steps to update information so that Where's My Refund has current information. The IRS apologizes for any inconvenience and will provide updated information as soon as possible.

I don't want an apology any more than they would want an apology if I owed them and delayed in payment. Apologies don't cut the mustard and most certainly don't pay the bills.

Last edited:
Skipro, if you are depending on your tax refund to pay your bills, maybe you should have done a better job at managing your withholding. Or maybe you should rethink your spending rather than rail at the IRS about the delay.

Finally after weeks of denying that they are holding the information about e-file returns, the IRS website posted this;

The issue still stands; why are they holding my refund, when every year prior, I got it within the week? Their explanation is only addressing the status update of the refund, not the delay in receiving the refund. It sure sounds to me that they are exercising their claim to get refunds within 21 days;

I don't want an apology any more than they would want an apology if I owed them and delayed in payment. Apologies don't cut the mustard and most certainly don't pay the bills.
If you filed Feb 2 the IRS 10 to 21 day refund window is still open 'till the 23rd. Another week to go. Isn't it a bit early to be demanding an apology? If you feel strongly about this you could contact IRS taxpayer advocate or either of your congressional representatives.

If you feel strongly about this you could contact IRS taxpayer advocate or either of your congressional representatives.
Yes; they should be thrilled to help with this.

Yes; they should be thrilled to help with this.
I assisted someone who had missed an IRA withdrawal. Before the rule change, when you had to pay the penalty and then ask for forgiveness. We did, wrote a nice letter of apology and everything. The reason for the missed withdrawal was as legit as it gets. 8 months later we followed up with the taxpayer advocate, and the person we spoke with scolded us for not allowing enough time. The IRS did eventually waive the penalty. It only took 7 years and the involvement of the senior state senator.

I assisted someone who had missed an IRA withdrawal. Before the rule change, when you had to pay the penalty and then ask for forgiveness. We did, wrote a nice letter of apology and everything. The reason for the missed withdrawal was as legit as it gets. 8 months later we followed up with the taxpayer advocate, and the person we spoke with scolded us for not allowing enough time. The IRS did eventually waive the penalty. It only took 7 years and the involvement of the senior state senator.
:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom