Apollo 11 - 50th Anniversary of the Launch

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
50 years ago today, July 16, 1969, was the launch of Apollo 11, with commander Neil Armstrong, lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin, and command module pilot Mike Collins. Four days later was the first manned landing on the Moon.
My family would normally have been away on vacation at that time, but there was no TV there. I insisted that we be home so I could watch everything, and that's what we did. I was glued to every broadcast.

Attachments

• Apollo 11 launch 2.jpg
    Apollo 11 launch 2.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Apollo 11 crew.jpg
    Apollo 11 crew.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Apollo 11 patch.jpg
    Apollo 11 patch.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I remember watching the landing on tv with my grandfather, and how he was awestruck by it. But then again, he was born in the same year as the Wright brothers first flight. The moon landing was quite a feat given the progress made in the 66 years since the Wright brothers flight..

That was quite an achievement and thrilling to watch. The Smithsonian is going to project an image of the Saturn Launch Vehicle on the Washington Monument for the next three nights. I plan to bike down and check it out.

Attachments

• Apollo.JPG
    Apollo.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 30
I just can’t believe it’s been 50 years!

I remember very well seeing the moon landing on TV even though I was only 9. But I think even then I understood the magnitude of what I was seeing.

We started watching the PBS series Chasing the Moon in commemoration.

Last edited:
I remember watching a lot of it with my Dad on a black and white TV while sitting in the basement during a hot humid Wisconsin summer.

What we didn't know or appreciate at the time was that the LEM had about 25 seconds of fuel left when it touched down.

EAGLE: Houston, Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed.

CONTROL: Roger, Tranquility. We copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot.

Im not really sure what the point of the moon landing was? I have to assume it was to show dominance globally since we were competing with the soviets? More of a psychological thing? We never really did anything with the moon itself. There arent any colonies, there arent nukes that can be launched from the moon. Seems odd to me.

And since we havent been back to the moon since the early 70's...that sort of goes to show how pointless it was. Id like to think with our current technology, it would be a lot easier to get there now? Why not go back?

Im not really sure what the point of the moon landing was? I have to assume it was to show dominance globally since we were competing with the soviets? More of a psychological thing? We never really did anything with the moon itself. There arent any colonies, there arent nukes that can be launched from the moon. Seems odd to me.

And since we havent been back to the moon since the early 70's...that sort of goes to show how pointless it was. Id like to think with our current technology, it would be a lot easier to get there now? Why not go back?

NASA says we are going back
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/back.html

I'm still a big fan. I have mission patches, space art, astronaut autographs, etc. I have met several of the Apollo astronauts.

Attachments

• Patches.jpg
    Patches.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 21
  • Saturn V art.jpg
    Saturn V art.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Apollo 8 earthrise.jpg
    Apollo 8 earthrise.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 22

Why do people climb Mt. Everest? I mean they just go to the top and turn around. They don’t build a house there or a science base station.

I’m sure we were motivated by some of the wrong reasons, but we did it, to paraphrase the old saying, because it was there. These type of endeavors increase our knowledge in ways that are so significant, yet often, we don’t even realize the connection. I’m sure the goal to reach the moon advanced the sciences multiple times over and space exploration continues to do so. Plus, it’s just absolutely amazing. Fast forward to today and we have unmanned rovers on Mars. Imagine if we find life there. It’s amazing.

Space Race. Russian Sputnik scared the heck out of the US and motivated us to get our act together. I expect things would have been different in a non Cold War scenario. Regardless, I think it was a great achievement that brought a lot of people together and had lots of peripheral benefits for technology.

I was there for the launch, my uncle worked on the Mariner project, so got to watch from the grandstands. Oldmike

I remember watching it on TV and most of the missions before that too. I don't think I really had an appreciation of the magnitude of the accomplishments back then (my teen years). About 20 years later I actually worked alongside one of the guys who worked in mission control during that time.

There is a bit of irony in your final two sentences. You can draw an almost direct line from the the 60's and the technological innovations that were necessary to achieve a lunar landing right up to present day. In fact, many of the engineers and technicians who were let-go from their positions at NASA near the end of the Apollo program went on to work at places like IBM and applied their knowledge and experience to creating even more advanced technologies.

Pointless? Perhaps, if that is how one views the quest for knowledge and a desire to explore beyond the boundaries what is presently known.

I vaguely remember the moon landing as a 6-year old. What I remember more is the parade we had here afterward in Bethpage, home of the LEM's builder, Grumman. For many years there was a small display case with a model LEM at the local train station. My house growing up, and where my dad still lives, was separated from Grumman by a chain-link fence. The small airport it used for its military jets was noisy at times. It closed years ago and much of its land was sold off.

Unfortunately, Grumman, or what little is left of it, has been in the news a lot lately due to its contamination of the underground water supply dating back to the 1960s and 1970s. But back then, everyone heard of Bethpage thanks to Grumman and LEM.

I was going to observe that the 50th anniversary has revived conspiracy theories that the moon landing was faked, but a google search indicates that it has only revived news stories about fake moon landing conspiracy theories. Carry on.

BTW, according to Google, eBay has great deals on fake moon landings. Huge selection. Free shipping available.

My dad worked for NASA for his entire career starting in the late 50s and he worked with Neil Armstrong at Edwards Air Force Base back in the early sixties when Neil was a test pilot on the X15. So to say he had a keen interest in the space program as did everyone back then is a bit of an understatement!

We lived in California so it was still light out when they landed on the moon. Dad closed all the drapes and took pictures of the TV screen as they landed. They are not the best pictures but certainly a unique piece of history that I cherish.FB_IMG_1563285984419.jpegFB_IMG_1563285979615.jpegFB_IMG_1563285965360.jpeg

Ponyboy, I think that, if we humans do not destroy our planet with nuclear or environmental catastrophe, we will go back sooner or later. BUT you raise a question that will be seriously debated by historians in the future. 50 years is insignificant in the history of humanity, but it is NOT insignificant in the context of the industrial revolution. The internet, which is the second technological revolution, has transformed the world in under 30 years.

And think of the 30 year period following the voyages of Columbus. A whole new world (to the Eastern Hemisphere) was discovered and transformed in that period - BEFORE any industrial revolution. It happened so quickly!

On the other hand, there were Viking settlements in the Western Hemisphere that were never followed up. There was also an important voyage of discovery made by the Chinese empire around the Horn of Africa BEFORE the Portuguese sailed in the opposite direction. Also never followed up. Historians use these two examples to demonstrate that "advances" and "discoveries" can also result in dead ends, and "something else" is required.

Future historians will be writing volumes on that missing "something else." Was it private enterprise? Columbus's initial voyages were government projects, but private enterprise (and privateers!) soon entered the field. Was it that *gold* showed up as part of the earliest results? Was it the social dynamism caused by conflict in Europe?

I think that one observation that needs to be kept in mind is that "Space" has NOT been abandoned. There has been a steady expansion of research projects in space, still mostly government sponsored, from an increasing number of states There have been great discoveries.

Had I to bet, I would say that we - humanity, not necessarily the US - will be back to the moon in my lifetime (and I watched that first landing). Again, IF we are not overwhelmed by nuclear or environmental catastrophe. And I think there will be a rapid uptick from now on in private enterprise in space, which will gradually become a driver.

But it would be great if those of us who enjoy thinking about this would pull together our thoughts on why this 50 year hiatus, because our descendents WILL be interested in what we think about it.

This week is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission. Two weeks ago today was the 55th anniversary of the civil rights act.

It should be acknowledged that for many Americans - and especially those who had been systemically discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin - the quest for a manned lunar landing and EVA was pursued to the exclusion of remedying long standing social and economic injustices.

Last edited:
Dad closed all the drapes and took pictures of the TV screen as they landed. They are not the best pictures but certainly a unique piece of history that I cherish.

I distinctly recall my Dad bracing his camera on a footstool and taking photos of the TV. I remember the commentator on TV saying what the best exposure would be.

After the end of Apollo but before Skylab we visited an uncle in Houston. He knew somebody at NASA who gave us the VIP tour. The standout was landing on the moon in the actual LEM simulator. I was about 13 and was, as my parents put it, “crazy about the astronauts.” I was allowed to press the button to take off from the lunar surface.

If going to the moon was pointless, you might find this just plain stupid, as no one has repeated it. However, some of us admire mankind's ability (since the dawn of humanity) to overcome the seemingly impossible.

FWIW, he (Felix) did this in a scientific effort to determine if astronauts had better options than incineration, if issues akin to the Columbia catastrophe arose. I found the premise, experimentation, training, and execution to be utterly fascinating. Just as I have with the US space programs.

For the Soviet Union, competing in the "space race" was another nail in the financial coffin of a doomed political idea. I consider it money well spent.

I also think Felix has a "pair" that few possess.:D

The multi-decade delay in more moon visits reflects that the costs for the explorer outweigh both the known and the predicted benefits. OTOH, if during those early moon visits we had learned that, say, spending 48 hours on the moon's surface cured a visitor's otherwise incurable chronic or fatal illness, by now there would be regular shuttle service to the moon and back.

The idea of the moon being a stepping stone to colonization of other planets is hampered by the fact those other planets are distant, even the ones in our own solar system, as well as inhospitable. If Venus or Mars had Earthlike atmospheres and temperatures, human colonies would likely have been established there by now.

The press coverage of the anniversary is interesting. I'm in Ohio, and the local radio just ran a story that "On this date 50 years ago, Neil Armstrong and two other astronauts launched into space . . ."

"Two other astronauts?" Sorta minimizes the contributions of the "two other astronauts." There wasn't time to say "Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins"? But this is Ohio and Neil Armstrong is a (deserving) hometown hero.

This is the kind of thing that miffed Armstrong. He was a modest guy who really did see himself as just one member of a huge, competent team.

They are still minting men and women like these astronauts and those on the team that contributed to this amazing achievement, but we seem to hear little about them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom