Apple TV vs Roku 1/2/3 vs Chromecast vs others?

We're in the period of transition for all electronic products, and in home entertainment. With literally thousands of companies vying for market share, viewing hours, hardware costs, access costs, and business connection to the consumer through advertising... it's a huge battle in the public arena.

New, start up players coming on, hoping to find winners, and older technologies struggling to change acceptance into profitablilty, and the consumer in the middle, with no one able to absorb the variables to make a balanced decision.

It's not just hardware, or content choice, or a right and wrong way... but a learnng curve that might take a few years to shake out. As network and wired content providers give way to all-streaming... the inevitable, the driving force will come from the legal restrictions set by government for bandwidth.

I believe we're watching the slow death of OTA AND wired network/channel content. with a totally new paradigm in the way.

Fortunately, the transitional costs seem to be nominal, and the public will very slowly become aware of the emerging concept as it occurs. (kind of like trying to introduce the concept of computers to a lost tribe in the Amazon.) Even now, how many people understand what H.264 means?... even though this may be a major choice option.

Heck... I'm still trying to find out what "Plex" is all about.

The idea of "throwing" content to a TV screen... takes a little bit of getting used to. Currently, it may take as many as four remote controls to access content. The all in one package does not yet exist... and programmable remotes require much work, and a good memory to use.

In my own case, the more I understand, the less I know about what's happening. Rest assured, the coming several years will be exciting, and 5 or 6 years from now, everyone will wonder what the whole kerfluffle was all about.

Then, I'll be able to buy your 70 inch, top of the line, flatscreen TV for $25 at my local resale shop. :dance:

Hey! coping with all this stuff at my age, ain't easy.
As my mom usta say "When you get to be MY age, you'll understand. :cool:
YMMV

Last edited:
Rest assured, the coming several years will be exciting, and 5 or 6 years from now, everyone will wonder what the whole kerfluffle was all about.
I don't doubt your assessment of how this will play out, I just hope it all happens in the time frame you suggest. It appears the networks learned from the music industry experience, real time and streaming internet TV could have easily been done years ago technically, not sure what disruption will be necessary to make it really happen. We are going to have to pay for it one way or another, whether thru ads, subscriptions and/or paygo revenues - the content and infrastructure won't be free. Presumably the decline in cable and satellite subscribers and their subsequent [-]retaliatory[/-] price increases will accelerate and "cord cutters" force the issue...

by-amazing-coincidence-over-a-similar-period-cable-tv-subscribers-are-also-in-decline.jpg

Last edited:
Are Americans Abandoning Their Televisions? | Alternet

Excerpt:

Media analysts Craig Moffet and Michael Nathanson note that television, broadband and phone communications firms lost 687,000 subscribers during the third quarter of 2013, with the “pay-TV industry [reporting] its worst 12-month stretch ever.” During that same quarter, Time Warner Cable lost 306,000 TV subscribers.

Young people in particular are tuning out. Nielson data shows that among the 18-24 group, viewers watched an average of 21-and-a-half hours of TV a week during the second quarter of 2013, one hour less than the same quarter during 2012. When you compare it to the second quarter of 2011, it's actually a decrease of 11 percent.

This trend has been denied by some in the industry. Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman told CNBC earlier this year that he doesn't “think cord cutting is a threat...Even during the depths of the recession, cable TV subscribers remained stable.” But this isn't entirely true. The number of cable TV-only subscribers has fallen from over 44 million in the first quarter of 2010 to just over 40 million in the third quarter of 2013.

Bruce Leichtman, the president of Leichtman Research, explained the decrease in television consumers this way, pointing to television alternatives: “First-time ever annual industry-wide losses reflect a combination of a saturated market, an increased focus from providers on acquiring higher-value subscribers, and some consumers opting for a lower-cost mixture of over-the-air TV, Netflix and other over-the-top viewing options.”

Makes sense. When I was a kid back in the '70s we spent a lot of our spare time watching TV (when we weren't outside playing, which kids used to do). These days they are more likely glued to their smartphones, tablets or computer.

Cable companies make their money from Internet, not TV, supposedly.

If you don't subscribe to a TV package though, they charge you more for Internet.

If you've not tried it .... "Playon" allows streaming from your PC to your Roku (or other device) which, in turn, allows access to pretty much any internet based video. I've been using it for a couple years now and it works well. It's inexpensive and, what's kind of cool about it, is that you can access it from your laptop or ipad (or android) even when away from home.

It's available at www.playon.tv and, as I say, works well .... Just another option.

If something like Apple TV or a Roku box had a good, integrated OTA tuner and DVR, I'd be all over it.

There maybe hope.

I have ordered simple.tv by silicon dust. This device is supposed to feed OTA signals into a ROKU channel. It also has 2 tuners and a DVR. Find it on pre-order special on newegg.com

Also, I just ordered my 3rd Roku (ROKU 3) as they are on sale. ROKU + Netflix is a pretty good setup.

Cable companies make their money from Internet, not TV, supposedly.

If you don't subscribe to a TV package though, they charge you more for Internet.

I had thought about getting a higher speed internet but don't want a TV package (happy with just OTA). However, I just couldn't justify the higher internet price over my basic DSL with a stable price, so I took no action :)

There maybe hope.

I have ordered simple.tv by silicon dust. This device is supposed to feed OTA signals into a ROKU channel. It also has 2 tuners and a DVR. Find it on pre-order special on newegg.com

Also, I just ordered my 3rd Roku (ROKU 3) as they are on sale. ROKU + Netflix is a pretty good setup.

Looks like Simple TV is really a DVR for OTA .... still needs an antenna and/or cable .... but does stream those recorded shows thru either the Roku or through an iPad/Android.

There maybe hope.

I've been following simple.tv. I like the concept, but they seem to be having massive start-up issues. It gets pretty ugly here:

Invision Power Board

Maybe the collaboration with silicondust will help (their first gen was w/o silicondust).

Let us know how it goes, I don't watch much TV, but I'd prefer being able to record and watch on my schedule, and to pause live TV. We already have a couple older Roku boxes and Netflix.

-ERD50

I've been following simple.tv. I like the concept, but they seem to be having massive start-up issues. It gets pretty ugly here:

Invision Power Board

Maybe the collaboration with silicondust will help (their first gen was w/o silicondust).

Let us know how it goes, I don't watch much TV, but I'd prefer being able to record and watch on my schedule, and to pause live TV. We already have a couple older Roku boxes and Netflix.

-ERD50

The hope is silicon dust hardware will cure all that ails simple.tv gen 1 devices. Its my turn to be an early adopter.,, Will post my experience when possible.

Looks like Simple TV is really a DVR for OTA .... still needs an antenna and/or cable .... but does stream those recorded shows thru either the Roku or through an iPad/Android.

Simple.tv does require an antenna... to be expected for OTA. I also expect simple.tv to stream both live and recorded programming through the ROKU.

Simple.tv does require an antenna... to be expected for OTA. I also expect simple.tv to stream both live and recorded programming through the ROKU.

I'm curious as to how well it works. My only gripe is that you have to subscribe to record non-live programming. I wonder if that's because you need to pay for the electronic programming guide? Since I get this for free now, I don't feel like paying extra to record content at a future date. Otherwise, it looks like a great product.

I noticed that they support the Apple TV. Do you know how? When I select the Apple TV link on their website, nothing happens. It seems odd that they can support Apple TV since it's a closed platform.

We use both Roku and Apple TV. Both work great.

Roku we stream Amazon prime and Netflix.

Apple TV can also do Netflix but no amazon prime. Apple TV is great to mirror what is on your macbook, iPad, or iPhone. I use it to watch NFL football replays (full games and condensed).
Also use it for slide shows and music from any of our devices or from home network hard drives.

Content is basically all tv programs and movies (but not recent ones).

Cost for all this including the NFL is about $21 per month. We have no cable tv so not bad. Use antenna for crystal clear local channels.
Tonight we tried video streaming from Amazon Prime using the AppleTV Airplay built into the later MacOSs. It works great!

Watching "Skyfall" right now.

So we don't need a Roku to use Amazon Prime video streaming. :)

Audrey

I've just ordered a G-Box MX2 Midnight after reviewing Roku, and others. Hopefully, it is good enough to cancel my netflix subscription.

I've just ordered a G-Box MX2 Midnight after reviewing Roku, and others. Hopefully, it is good enough to cancel my netflix subscription.

Not! The box freezes too often. I can't change XBMC's 720p to 1080p. It's slow to navigate from one app to another. In sum, the product needs to mature quite a bit before I would cancel Netflix (which I am watching in Super HD - 1080p in Netflix's definition).

Back
Top Bottom