Applied for SS benefits yesterday...

There it is again! Does anybody else get it on a fixed vs floating date, or was everybody else born on the same day?

It depends on your birthday.

You receive your benefit on the second Wednesday of each month if you were born from the 1st through the 10th.

You receive your benefit on the third Wednesday of each month if you were born from the 11th through the 20th.

You receive your benefit on the fourth Wednesday of each month if you were born from the 21st through the 31st.

(Unless you started receiving benefits prior to May 1997 or are receiving both Social Security benefits and SSI payments)

see: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2017.pdf

Last edited:
I applied online last spring and had no issues at all. Not even a phone call from them, nor a request to show up at the SS office. They did send a letter explaining what the benefit would be and the amount was within a couple of dollars of the online estimator.

Then, just like magic, a couple thousand+ is deposited into a checking account every month.:dance:

Thanks for this info (also from disappointed and NYEXPAT). Sounds like online is the best. At worst, you might have to go to SS office, but at best, online will be all it takes. Have recommended this to friend.

Thanks. Good news. I'm several years away but I always assumed SS payments would come around the 1st. Based on my birthdate it will be the 3rd Wednesday. Obviously could change but one of the issues with ER for me is getting one (pension) check per month on the 1st after working 35 yrs and getting paid 2x per month.

That was the way it used to work years ago. SS way back when mailed actual checks to folks. They came out around the first of the month.

We're in Minnesota ...not retired yet. I have clients (pre-65) who are enrolling in Minnesota care and managing their income to qualify for the program. Max premium is $80/month each. Good coverage. No liens unless you go into a LTC facility. If we retire pre-65, we will go for it if it is still around. There is no asset test. We'll live off savings until we go on Ss and MC.

Back
Top Bottom