Appointment with Mohs Surgeon

What did they say about your concern for distorting your vision by affecting the muscles around the eye socket?

He said that should not be a problem and that there is plenty of skin in that area for him to work with.

He said that should not be a problem and that there is plenty of skin in that area for him to work with.

If the incision is small, they may want it to heal naturally. But, if not small, most times they make a elliptical shaped incision (like a football) and close it with stitches. A side benefit is, in that area you just got a face lift! Tighten up! :LOL:

If the incision is small, they may want it to heal naturally. But, if not small, most times they make a elliptical shaped incision (like a football) and close it with stitches. A side benefit is, in that area you just got a face lift! Tighten up! :LOL:

Unfortunately that area on my face is not one of the sagging areas:LOL:

I had two friends who had surgery in this area. A former co-worker who had some discomfort, but his main "surprise" about the procedure was the length of time it took.

My other friend had some subsequent skin discomfort in the area where her glasses rested (the surgery went around the eye) but no problems with the eye socket or vision at all. (The only "residual" is that she is particular with her eye glass frames - but I am sensitive to my eye glass frames without having surgery in that area.) She has no issues whatsoever when she is not wearing her glasses for a prolonged period of time.

Typically, Mohs surgeons are very talented - and proceed very slowly - and focus on the skin. If invasive surgery were thought to be required into the structure of the eye socket, he might seek the intervention of an ocular surgeon.

I had MOHS surgery for a melanoma right at my hairline. It took him two passes, & he sewed me up. Pretty ugly, but the only bad part was that it itched.

See if your oncologist will recommend a plastic surgeon, who can rent you a "wound vacuum" to minimize the size. My scar is still noticeable, but nothing like the cavity it started as! Good luck!

I went for my first ever dermatologist appointment (74 yo) yesterday at my PCP’s recommendation for a spot on my forehead. He froze 3 places but wanted me back for biopsies on two behind an ear and one on my scalp. I did that this morning. He thinks one spot may need Mohs surgery but will await lab results.

In the meantime, I spoke with a representative who provides superficial radiation therapy treatments. It does take 3x a week for a few weeks at about 15 minutes per session. No cutting or scarring and with similar success rate; depending on the type of skin cancer. Seems if a person is close to a center which offers that, it’s worth checking out. I have two within 5 miles of me (Nashville). I’ll research and decide if I need to. I'm thinking I likely will.

At my recent skin cancer checkup the dermatologist biopsied a small area around my left eyebrow and it turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma. I have a consult next Tuesday with the surgeon and surgery is schedule later in August. In general I am not very worried about this type of surgery until I saw a video by a lady that had one and the same general location as mine. She said the day after her surgery she felt like she got hit with wooden baseball bat, and the day after that it was even worse feeling like being hit with a metal baseball bat. I am pretty good in dealing with pain, but her experience got my attention. Anyone else had to deal with these in the eyebrow area? I am wondering if her situation was an anomaly or that is common. Also, wondering if I will be able to drive myself home, but I am thinking probably not.

DW just had hers done two months ago - right in line with eyebrow - and had NO trouble with it. Of course, I have no idea how extensive the "lady" or your surgery will be. DW's was "wide but not deep" according to surgeon. He had to hit it 3 times total to get a clean biopsy. Not much of a scar for DW. All in all, more scary than painful or scarring.

Check with your surgeon about what you have heard. The surgeon should be able to give you a good idea of what to expect - including the unexpected.

Best of luck!

Check with your surgeon about what you have heard. The surgeon should be able to give you a good idea of what to expect - including the unexpected.

Best of luck!

Thanks, he said there might be some swelling, probably the next day, and possibly a black eye. Also a scar. Will need to come back to have the stitches removed.

Thanks, he said there might be some swelling, probably the next day, and possibly a black eye. Also a scar. Will need to come back to have the stitches removed.

Since DW was traveling to the mainland before stitches would have come out, her doctor used the self dissolving ones - w*rked out great. Very little scarring.

Had my MOHS yesterday and was very lucky that first pass got rid of the basal cell. The toughest part was having to sit waiting for surgeon to do a skin graft for another patient before stitching me up. I was a bit surprised at the lateral cut he made to close the wound. Although they had my eyes covered, it felt like he made a cut from the spot that was dug out by my eyebrow to my sideburn. I asked him how many stitches and he said about 20. The procedure was not at all painful, but later on in the day, it hurt enough to take tylenol. Waking up today, no pain at all. The bad part is I was told not to sleep on the wound, and that is the normal side I sleep on. He gave me an antibiotic to take for a week and then need to return to have stitches removed next week. He told me it will probably look rough for about a month and then should be fairly invisible. I did end up with a shiner in the corner of my eye. Looked like I was punched by Mike Tyson. Also, no lifting of anything heavy for two weeks, so gym is out of the question.

Glad everything went well for you. Strange how sometimes the final wound closing seems to be the biggest part of the event.

Glad everything went well for you. Strange how sometimes the final wound closing seems to be the biggest part of the event.

Thanks, strange indeed. I'll get a better look at it tomorrow when it's time to change the bandage.

Glad the procedure is behind you. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Glad it went smoothly for you for the most part. DW's required 3 tries. Her scar is in the same area as yours and is almost undetectable now some 2 months post-surgery. Best of luck on your healing.

Glad the procedure is behind you. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Glad it went smoothly for you for the most part. DW's required 3 tries. Her scar is in the same area as yours and is almost undetectable now some 2 months post-surgery. Best of luck on your healing.

Thank you!

Had four of them, one scheduled next month, amazing thing is shortly after surgery looking like Frankenstein and a few months later looking fine.

Had four of them, one scheduled next month, amazing thing is shortly after surgery looking like Frankenstein and a few months later looking fine.

Oh, you mean "YOUNG Frankenstein." :cool:

Thanks, strange indeed. I'll get a better look at it tomorrow when it's time to change the bandage.

I'm curious about the wound care. My Dr. prefers a thin layer of Aquaphor on the wound (or on the gauze part of the bandage) and a bandage.

After taking off the bandage for the first look, my reaction was Frankenstein Junior.

I'm curious about the wound care. My Dr. prefers a thin layer of Aquaphor on the wound (or on the gauze part of the bandage) and a bandage.
Wound care: remove bandaging after two days, wash with soap and water daily using just fingers (no wash cloth), and apply a thin layer of vaseline or Aquaphor. Covering the wound recommended, but not necessary. No shower water hitting the wound directly.

wound care: Remove bandaging after two days, wash with soap and water daily using just fingers (no wash cloth), and apply a thin layer of vaseline or aquaphor. Covering the wound recommended, but not necessary. No shower water hitting the wound directly.

👍

After taking off the bandage for the first look, my reaction was Frankenstein Junior.

Wound care: remove bandaging after two days, wash with soap and water daily using just fingers (no wash cloth), and apply a thin layer of vaseline or Aquaphor. Covering the wound recommended, but not necessary. No shower water hitting the wound directly.

DW had to use a prescription tube of stuff (my guess it was essentially the same stuff as "triple-antibiotic" that sells in CVS for $7.) It was basically petroleum jelly. She is now very pleased with her result though at first viewing of the wound, she was a bit worried. Of course, stitches always look bad at first.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom