Are HSA contributions still pre-tax after FIRE?

Markola

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I suspect this is a simple answer but I see conflicting info online. I’ve left my j*b and will soon begin COBRA or ACA, so I’ll need to make my HSA contributions directly to Optum Bank. I just looked at the app and see a notice that “Contributions made here are not pre-tax,” so I’m confused. Thank you for any counsel.

I didn't start my HSA until after I retired and ended up on a high-deductible plan, and I deduct the contributions every year on my tax return.

Yes, they are pre-tax. The contribution winds up on line 8a, taken from schedule 1. It's subtracted from your total income to give you your adjusted gross income on line 8b. Your tax is calculated from the AGI.

All I can figure is that they're telling you this isn't going to show up on your paycheck or W2.

Now, you do have to have a qualifying high deductible plan to be able to make an HSA contribution. From my years of looking at ACA plans in my state, the qualifying plans always have "HSA" in the name. I don't think you can make an HSA contribution of any kind (post-tax) if you don't have a qualifying plan.

Yes, we do also have an associated HDHP. Thanks for explaining that the contributions are handled in pretax fashion on my actual tax return, which makes complete sense now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom