Are Traditional IRAs useless if I have a 401K?

supersaver

Confused about dryer sheets
My employer has a 401k option that I put money into each month. I have read that if you make more than $60,000 a year and have an employer sponsored retirement plan, like I do, that you cannot tax-deduct any contributions to an IRA.

Is this true? Does this make a traditional IRA worthless for me? I can see why a Roth would still be useful, since it is after-tax money in the first place.

What are the benefits of putting money into an IRA account if it is not deductible, as opposed to say putting it into a regular brokerage account? Thanks.

Not necessarily, because in future years you might be able to rollover your contributions and gains into a Roth. Just make sure that you file form 8606 with your taxes to track your basis, so that portion is not taxed when you rollover.

I think the income limits are loosening up in 2010 to make it easier to do this. Currrently you would want to wait for a low income year before doing the rollover.

So for example, you could contribute $4K to a traditional IRA for 5 years, then have a low income year and rollover the $20K tax free, and pay income taxes on, say $10K gains, and end up with $30K in a Roth.

supersaver said:
What are the benefits of putting money into an IRA account if it is not deductible, as opposed to say putting it into a regular brokerage account? Thanks.

One advantage of putting money into a traditional IRA, even if you don't get a tax benefit from it initially, it still grows and compounds tax-deferred. As a result, when it comes time to start cashing it out, it should have grown to a much larger amount than it would have if the gains got taxed every year.

Andre, thanks for the reply, I will open one then.

Beer, I don't think I will be able to roll into a Roth because within a few years my salary will be more than $120,000 or whatever the limit is for Roths. However, I am interested in learning about this 8606 form. I do not know much about doing taxes efficiently, but is this form a must to fill out if I have an IRA? Thanks for any info. I just don't want to get screwed on any tax advantages out there.

supersaver said:
Andre, thanks for the reply, I will open one then.

Beer, I don't think I will be able to roll into a Roth because within a few years my salary will be more than $120,000 or whatever the limit is for Roths. However, I am interested in learning about this 8606 form. I do not know much about doing taxes efficiently, but is this form a must to fill out if I have an IRA? Thanks for any info. I just don't want to get screwed on any tax advantages out there.

It should be filled out when you make a non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA.

Khan said:
It should be filled out when you make a non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA.

So I need to fill out this form twice a month if I make contributions twice a month?

supersaver said:
So I need to fill out this form twice a month if I make contributions twice a month?

I think once a year is sufficient.

Ever since I starting maxing out 401(k) contributions and could afford to contribute to an IRA I have done so even though it has always been after tax money.

I figure that it is going to grow tax deffered so it is still worth doing. After after RE it can still be converted to a Roth if that makes sense.

The 8606 form is easy - Turbo Tax and the like copy your basis from the year before and you enter what you put in after tax in the currrent year. Easy peasy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom