Article: The Secret Is Out on 7.12% Inflation-Protected Bonds

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
November inflation came in at 0.8% for the month...up 6.8% from a year ago - the fastest pace since 1982 and sixth straight month where it topped 5%.

I wonder two things: Why does Treasury even offer these instruments? I assume it's because they bring in money. Why does Treasury limit purchases to $10K? Obviously, there are folks out there willing to buy more. YMMV

I can't imagine it's because they bring in money. $1.3B being the highest month in 8 years is a pittance compared to the amounts they are dealing in.

I just downloaded the data set for outstanding savings bonds and the current outstanding amount of Series I bonds is about $49.5B - trivial in the bigger scheme of things. The outstanding amount of EE bonds is about $87B.

I signed up an account today and bought my first IBond.

Good job.

I think it's a good move with the current environment we're in.

I just downloaded the data set for outstanding savings bonds and the current outstanding amount of Series I bonds is about $49.5B - trivial in the bigger scheme of things. The outstanding amount of EE bonds is about $87B.

A piece of that is mine. I have a stack of paper EE bonds in the safe that mature each year. I recall they were purchased via Mega Corp payroll deductions at 50 percent of face value.

IIRC the EE bond interest rate dropped in 1993, making 1992 the last year to lock in the higher rate. I don't think the EE bond rate has yet to return to its 1992 level. What may have been a larger than usual annual group of EE bonds in 1992 will reach final maturity next year.

I wonder two things: Why does Treasury even offer these instruments? I assume it's because they bring in money. Why does Treasury limit purchases to $10K? Obviously, there are folks out there willing to buy more. YMMV

These are technically called Series I Bonds. They were initiated in 1998 and appear to have been trying to kill them off almost as soon as they created them. Around that time period the limit was $30k annually I believe and had up to a lifetime 3% fixed component plus inflation rate add on.
They then quickly lowered the 3% fixed, killed off buying paper versions (except for the quirky 5k max paper IBond tax refund request), and lowered the max contribution limit to 10k. You could even buy them with a credit card at one time I have been told.
I guess the govt proved prophetic in trying to limit them. Why the hell would they want to dole out 7.12% now with these when they can sell a 30 year bond at under 2%, ha!
Officially for what I remember (if memory serves) reading is govt cut limit under the guise that these instruments were designed only for small investors.

Yeah, that's me - :) I'mma gonna max these suckers out every year!

These are technically called Series I Bonds. They were initiated in 1998 and appear to have been trying to kill them off almost as soon as they created them. Around that time period the limit was $30k annually I believe and had up to a lifetime 3% fixed component plus inflation rate add on.
They then quickly lowered the 3% fixed.

Not true. The fixed rate component changes every 6 months. It started at 3.4% in September 1998, and was over 3% (as high as 3.6% in mid-2000) until November 2001. Then 2% for a year, then 1% or a little more until 2007, and 0 or close to 0 ever since.

The fixed rate has declined over the years with interest rates in general. To say that anyone has "been trying to kill them off almost as soon as they created them" is not supported by any fact that I know of.

Again, is any mod reading this thread? We desperately need a sticky thread to collect the facts about I-bonds, since they have become so popular lately.

Not true. The fixed rate component changes every 6 months. It started at 3.4% in September 1998, and was over 3% (as high as 3.6% in mid-2000) until November 2001. Then 2% for a year, then 1% or a little more until 2007, and 0 or close to 0 ever since.

The fixed rate has declined over the years with interest rates in general. To say that anyone has "been trying to kill them off almost as soon as they created them" is not supported by any fact that I know of.

Again, is any mod reading this thread? We desperately need a sticky thread to collect the facts about I-bonds, since they have become so popular lately.

Dude, we are saying the same thing. The 3% ish fixed component lifetime is of course for the life of the bond which is 30 years. Maybe Im a bit too slang for you, and I apologize. And certainly you are correct they must have wanted more contributions to Ibonds by cutting max contribution from 30k to 10k. Makes sense to me….
Yes now you wont provide help for people with research and understanding I have seen before, but I will assist you with one.

You want a theory? Here ya go, from Forbes.

One of the most frequent questions relates to annual purchase limits. Here's how dpbsmith put it: "What I don't understand is why the Treasury cut the annual purchase limit from $30,000 to $5,000 in one fell swoop in December 2007, with only thirty days warning and no convincing explanation. Why did they change the amount you can buy?"

Good question. Here's how the Treasury tried to explain the lowering of the annual purchase limits when it announced on Dec. 3, 2007 that the new limits were to take effect on Jan, 1, 2008: "The reduction from the $30,000 annual limit in effect for both series since 2003 was made to refocus the savings bond program on its original purpose of making these non-marketable Treasury securities available to individuals with relatively small sums to invest."

The problem with that explanation is that regardless of how high the annual purchase limits were set by Treasury, Savings Bonds were always available to individuals with relatively small sums to invest. So, in my opinion, that explanation simply doesn't fly. Remember, EE Bonds had purchase limits of $30,000 face value per person or $60,000 per couple for many years prior to the introduction of I Bonds.

What does make sense to me, though, is the flip side of Treasury's explanation. With the introduction of I Bonds and then TreasuryDirect (TD), a couple could buy $30,000 in paper I Bonds and another $30,000 via TD. They could also buy $30,000 face value paper EE Bonds and another $30,000 via TD. That meant a couple could purchase $120,000 annually in tax-deferred U.S. Savings Bonds. And if they had children, they could purchase even more, using the children's Social Security numbers. In essence, a couple now had the ability to create a huge tax-deferred savings account and one that came with no expense ratio. Many savvy investors realized this and piled in.

I think officials at Treasury belatedly took a look at all of the additional tax-deferred savings space that was available to investors and didn't like what they saw. In addition to deferring tax, investors could engage in tax shifting, since they could buy Savings Bonds while in a high tax bracket and redeem them later when they were in a lower tax bracket, such as in retirement.

By limiting I Bond purchases, Treasury was able to limit the potential tax revenue loss. Investors would have to stick to traditional taxable vehicles such as savings accounts, CDs, bonds and bond funds, nominal Treasuries, etc. Those who wanted to invest more dollars in a government backed inflation hedge would have to buy Treasury Inflation Protected Securities (TIPs). However, since the accruing interest on TIPs must be recognized annually, TIPs are best held in already tax deferred accounts such as IRAs and 401(k)s.

https://www.forbes.com/2010/02/25/i...bogleheads-view-lindauer.html?sh=5b8ba27952b8

Last edited:
You could even buy them with a credit card at one time I have been told.

That is correct. I purchased some in 2003 with a credit card. There were no fees and I could earn points.

This was the beginning of my foray into the world of credit card rewards.

Dude, we are saying the same thing.

Don't "dude" me. No, we are not paying the same thing. You said they paid 3% fixed. You said it twice. They paid 3% exactly one time, in mid 01. Before that, the fixed rate was 3.3 to 3.6%. After that, it has been less. That is all.

My wife and I are recently retired and living off our taxable account. I have thought about purchasing 20k in I bonds (wife and myself) but it would reduce the amount I am able to Roth convert. Wouldn't doing the 20k Roth conversion be a better use of that money.

My wife and I are recently retired and living off our taxable account. I have thought about purchasing 20k in I bonds (wife and myself) but it would reduce the amount I am able to Roth convert. Wouldn't doing the 20k Roth conversion be a better use of that money.
How do buying i-bonds reduce your Roth conversions? I don't think you are right on that one.

Don't "dude" me. No, we are not paying the same thing. You said they paid 3% fixed. You said it twice. They paid 3% exactly one time, in mid 01. Before that, the fixed rate was 3.3 to 3.6%. After that, it has been less. That is all.

Thanks for reinforcing my point about the fixed being in long decent since around issuance. I appreciate that.
Did you understand the link about reasons why the limit was dropped now to discourage deposits into said investment?

I've got iBonds yielding over 10% now.... I quit buying them when the fixed portion went below .1%. Ironically, this safe "cash" investment is the absolute last I would sell. Back then, I was not making much but bought what I could as I started my FIRE journey.

They are not quite as liquid enough for me to consider them cash but a great low risk yield right now. Unfortunately, 0% over official inflation still doesn't excite me for long term performance so I'll keep my funds in equities to protect against inflation.

How do buying i-bonds reduce your Roth conversions? I don't think you are right on that one.

Maybe he is doesn't have an additional $20k to make the I-Bond purchase...it's either use $20k to Roth convert, or use that $20k to purchase I-Bonds?

I read an article (that I no longer can find), that indicated you could get a lot more into I-Bonds than the usual publicized limit. It had to do with hitting the limit for both self and spouse (easy), hitting the limit for trusts (at least I think that's what it said), and also overpaying your taxes, and instead of a refund, getting and I-bond funded from that. It seemed too tedious for me, though.

In order for me to fund the I bond purchase I will have to sell in my taxable account. I currently have 65k in LTCG for this year along with my wife SS of 21k and 3k in dividends. That allows me to convert aprox. 22k to get to the top of the 12% bracket for this year.

In order to fund the I bond purchase I would have to sell more stock in our taxable account leading to more capital gains. Although now that i think about it a 20k sale of stock would only be 15k of LTCG. So I guess I have 5k available staying in the 12% bracket.

Is my rational correct?

While the current 7.12% annualized rate is eye-popping and has generated a lot of activity (I am part of that), in thinking about what to do going forward I keep reminding myself that the fixed rate component is still 0.00% and will remain there for the life of the bond.

I’m planning to again purchase the maximum allowed in 2022 and I’m leaning towards waiting until rates again adjust in May ‘22. Although it seems unlikely (as pointed out by other posts), I’d really prefer an issue that has a non-zero fixed rate.

Last edited:
Worst case is that you sell the bond if the overall rate is not competitive.

I’ve held off for iBonds until last month. With the limited amounts, I’m not going to worry too much about maximizing the rate. I’ll look for that with equities. Instead if my basket of iBonds is reasonably competitive to other FI alternatives, I’ll be happy.

While the current 7.12% annualized rate is eye-popping and has generated a lot of activity (I am part of that), in thinking about what to do going forward I keep reminding myself that the fixed rate component is still 0.00% and will remain there for the life of the bond.

I’m planning to again purchase the maximum allowed in 2022 and I’m leaning towards waiting until rates again adjust in May ‘22. Although it seems unlikely (as pointed out by other posts), I’d really prefer an issue that has a non-zero fixed rate.

Right now I am thinking of the I Bond as a far more profitable substitute for a 1-2 year Bank CD. That makes sense to me at this time. Depending what happens with the inflation rate and interest rates, I might start thinking of today's I Bond purchase as a longer term CD. Or maybe not. With the Fed holding down interest rates to well below the inflation rate, I want options. The I Bond is one of those options.
My 2¢. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom