Asset Allocation

If anyone hasn't already seen this chart, it nets out the risk any of us are taking with equities. ...
I don't have any idea what this sentence is trying to communicate. I also don't understand the chart. I tried to find it at https://realinvestmentadvice.com/ but could not.

First, it is titled " ... Total Return." Return is conventionally expressed in dollars or as a percentage. The chart does neither.

Second, it appears to be trying to make some point about where the S&P 500 has been since around 1900. Wikipedia, however, tells me that the index was created in 1957.

Third, if it is trying to make some point related to the nominal value of the index this is fallacious because total return, including dividends, is the name of the investing game.

Fourth, the whole site is a hustle. For example, they trumpet being in Financial Times list of top advisors. The fine print defines selection criteria: "Applicants were then graded on six factors: assets under management (AUM); AUM growth rate; years in existence; advanced industry credentials of the firm’s advisers; online accessibility; and compliance records." IOW, how good is the firm at selling? Nothing about performance.

@24601NoMore, I'd appreciate a link to the chart and its explanation. I am actually quite curious.

... I don't want to go through a period of time when my net worth is significantly less than it is now ...
Nobody does. Probably nobody wants to go to the dentist either. But both are good for you in the long term.

Here is a chart I use with my "Investing for the Long Term" class:

38349-albums210-picture1776.jpg

Note that it is in dollars and the y-axis is a log scale. The takeaway from the chart is that a long term investor's real risk is to be afraid of equities. What is long term? I tell them five years minimum but to think in terms of decades. I also remind them that, actuarilly, a newly retired investor probably has at least a couple of decades ahead.

Agreed, SORR is real but as has been discussed in this thread and many others, the risk can usually be minimized with an appropriate AA. IMO it is not a good reason to be paranoid about equities. Obviously, YMMV.

I don't have any idea what this sentence is trying to communicate. I also don't understand the chart. I tried to find it at https://realinvestmentadvice.com/ but could not.

It's trying to say that in my opinion, equity risk is often under-appreciated by many - even on ER. I frequently see statements like "what's so bad about a bear market? They typically only last 18 months, on average..". Yes, and they can wipe out 50+% of your equity value. When that happens, it can take DECADES to recover. That's the point I was trying to make.

First, it is titled " ... Total Return." Return is conventionally expressed in dollars or as a percentage. The chart does neither.
I believe it's exactly that - Total Return (including dividends), as measured in value of an investor's portfolio. The article linked below also says it's adjusted for inflation.

Second, it appears to be trying to make some point about where the S&P 500 has been since around 1900. Wikipedia, however, tells me that the index was created in 1957.
Fair question and good point..let's ask the author (from SeekingAlpha) to net that out. I'd guess he's using other, pre-S&P500 index data for "market return" prior to that point and should have made that more clear in the chart.

Third, if it is trying to make some point related to the nominal value of the index this is fallacious because total return, including dividends, is the name of the investing game.
My assumption since it said "total" return was that dividends were included.

Fourth, the whole site is a hustle. For example, they trumpet being in Financial Times list of top advisors. The fine print defines selection criteria: "Applicants were then graded on six factors: assets under management (AUM); AUM growth rate; years in existence; advanced industry credentials of the firm’s advisers; online accessibility; and compliance records." IOW, how good is the firm at selling? Nothing about performance.
Not sure that their performance as an advisor is relevant to the core data. If the data is wrong, then it'd be good to show how with hard data to refute the points made.

@24601NoMore, I'd appreciate a link to the chart and its explanation. I am actually quite curious.
Here ya go..

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4200284-longest-bull-market-history-happens-next

Nobody does. Probably nobody wants to go to the dentist either. But both are good for you in the long term.

Here is a chart I use with my "Investing for the Long Term" class:

38349-albums210-picture1776.jpg

Note that it is in dollars and the y-axis is a log scale. The takeaway from the chart is that a long term investor's real risk is to be afraid of equities. What is long term? I tell them five years minimum but to think in terms of decades. I also remind them that, actuarilly, a newly retired investor probably has at least a couple of decades ahead.
Good advice, IMHO for young investors or those who are OK with riding out a 10-20 year potential downdraft in their portfolios. It's also often said that you should not have "any" money in equities that you need within the next ten years.

Agreed, SORR is real but as has been discussed in this thread and many others, the risk can usually be minimized with an appropriate AA. IMO it is not a good reason to be paranoid about equities. Obviously, YMMV.
I'm just commenting on my own willingness and need to take risk at this point (year one of ER). I'm not willing to watch a 50+% drop in a big part of my net worth ever again, as I may not have time for things to recover. As Rick Ferri (wisely, IMHO) said most investors should not be investing anywhere near their willingness to take risk, but instead should focus on the minimum amount of risk possible to achieve the income they need. I think that's wise advice and contrary to the "go, 80/90/100% equities!! If a bear market happens, oh well!" I often see on the forum - and from people who really don't "need" to take a 80/90/100% equity position.

So, to net it out - if you don't "need" to take high equity risk to pay the bills and meet your long-term goals through a projected end of life date (I used 95 for us), then as William Bernstein famously said.."when you've won the game, quit playing". I haven't entirely quit playing - but I'm acting tactically by maintaining an AA that the data since 1926 (per Vanguard at https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/saving-investing/model-portfolio-allocations?lang=en) shows returns an average of 6.6% per year with the worst year being -10.1%, the best year being 29.8% and the # of down years being 13 of 93. Contrast that with worst year of -34.9% often followed by probably another year or two of -20+%, avg annual return of only +2.8% above 20/80 and 24 out of 93 down years for an 80/20 AA. To me, an additional 2.8% is not worth that kind of risk to go from 20/80 to say, 80/20 - because watching a 50+% equity melt-down like we did in 2008 is not anything I can or want to repeat at this point in life..and if I can hit an average of 6.6% return over time with a 20/80 AA, then I'm down for that all day long as we would meet all of our financial needs through age 95+ and them some, with that type of return..

Last edited:
....I frequently see statements like "what's so bad about a bear market? They typically only last 18 months, on average..". Yes, and they can wipe out 50+% of your equity value. When that happens, it can take DECADES to recover. That's the point I was trying to make. ..

... There are periods in history, where returns over a 20-year period have been close to zero or even negative."

Currently, we are in one of those periods. ...

and the article was bullsh!t when it was published and still is.... only in some dumbass view could the one say that we are still in a 20 year cycle of close to zero returns.

$1 million invested in Vanguard Total Stock (VTSMX) on January 1, 2000 would have been worth $3.177 million on October 31, 2019.

Meanwhile, it would take $1.524 million in October 2019 to buy what one could buy with $1 million in January 2000.

ETA: OldShooter's suspicion that dividends were ignored seems to make sense, but is indicative of an author who either is a financial neophyte or has a particular axe to grind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I have just spent a half hour trying to figure out what the guy is trying to say and I'm still not completely sure.

I think he is simply using nominal S&P index values, not total return. It says "Inflation Adjusted S&P Index" on one of his charts. So returns are probably significantly understated.

The chart you posted tells me (I think) that over 115 years, the inflation adjusted return on the S&P index value is about 4.2% and the ride has been wild. Old news, really, but presented in an obscure fashion IMO.

The second chart in the article tells me that there have been periods where the real index growth was flat, hence no returns above inflation. Here is where dividends, if he had considered them, would make a big difference. It also shows, I think, that it is extremely rare that any of the rolling 20 year periods had real returns below typical real returns on bonds. IOW I think that if the calculation was done including dividends the equity investor would never have returns below bonds. IOW either equity always wins or it wins almost all of the time. Hard to know for sure without reams of data though.

... So, to net it out - if you don't "need" to take high equity risk to pay the bills and meet your long-term goals through a projected end of life date (I used 95 for us), then as William Bernstein famously said.."when you've won the game, quit playing".
Well, yes, if a person's goal is to have his last two checks bounce. Many, probably most, people here have goals for their estates to support children, to educate grandchildren, to benefit a charity, etc. Those are longer long term goals and call for a different AA strategy.

I do like Bernstein and have several of his books on my shelves, but my recollection is that he identified "quit playing" as one reasonable option, not as a recommendation for everyone.

I was reading another thread recently where a poster had an autistic child and the poster's goal was to leave enough money in trust for the child to have as comfortable a life as possible. A much different objective than yours.

... I haven't entirely quit playing - but I'm acting tactically by maintaining an AA that the data since 1926 (per Vanguard at https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/saving-investing/model-portfolio-allocations?lang=en) shows returns an average of 6.6% per year with the worst year being -10.1%, the best year being 29.8% and the # of down years being 13 of 93. Contrast that with worst year of -34.9% often followed by probably another year or two of -20+%, avg annual return of only +2.8% above 20/80 and 24 out of 93 down years for an 80/20 AA. To me, an additional 2.8% is not worth that kind of risk to go from 20/80 to say, 80/20 - because watching a 50+% equity melt-down like we did in 2008 is not anything I can or want to repeat at this point in life..and if I can hit an average of 6.6% return over time with a 20/80 AA, then I'm down for that all day long as we would meet all of our financial needs through age 95+ and them some, with that type of return..
I think you're saying here that 2.8% is such a small amount that you're willing to forego it over a 20 year period. FWIW, at 2.8%/20 years $100,000 becomes $173,725. For myself, that would be a very expensive sleeping pill but if it works for you that's fine with me.

69 years old 71/25/4

Let me add that SSA will provide about 40% of our spending needs. We have 2 rental properties that will provide about 20% of our spending needs and withdrawal rate will use up all our funds by age 105, assuming a 3% real rate of return.

Net, somewhat aggressive on equities, but we have a lot of spending flexibility to help us deal with market issues.

I believe it's exactly that - Total Return (including dividends), as measured in value of an investor's portfolio. The article linked below also says it's adjusted for inflation.

Nope, I thought it looked familiar. It is S&P prices adjusted for inflation. Same as this one from multpl.com. No dividends included so not telling the whole story.

https://www.multpl.com/inflation-adjusted-s-p-500

Having said that, it is true that the index hit an inflation-adjusted peak in 1906 that it did not stay above until 1955. Similarly for 1969 to 1992, and more recently 2000 to 2015.

But then again, using FIRECalc it is already in there.

Age 59. AA 45/55. Will have pension cover at least 50% of expenses until SS. If market drops for awhile we will consider using dividends and capital gains from funds and keep principal intact.

Everyone's financial situation is different. I am a conservative investor and am always somewhat surprised by the aggressive nature of some peoples allocation. My allocation follows the sage advice of Jack Bogle who recommended a good rule of thumb to be "your age in bonds" as to the percentage breakdown. I have always followed his wisdom and although I don't hit home runs in investment returns...I can sleep soundly at night when the market turns bearish.

For those who have accumulated a comfortable nest egg through long term investing, I think there is also wisdom in the putting 100% in safe cash investments. If you have already won the game...why keep playing and continue putting your assets at risk?

For those who have accumulated a comfortable nest egg through long term investing, I think there is also wisdom in the putting 100% in safe cash investments. If you have already won the game...why keep playing and continue putting your assets at risk?

Because it's not a game. And you don't know what the rules are. More correctly, there aren't really any rules.

And some people have different goals such as leaving money for heirs, or accumulating more for charitable giving.

The biggest risk to an early retiree living on a portfolio is inflation, not the ups and downs of the stock market. The worst failure in FIRECalc is caused the stagflation of the 1970s. 100% cash investments virtually guarantee falling behind inflation over the long term, so why would I do that and put my assets at risk? 100% cash is not "safe".

Everyone's financial situation is different. I am a conservative investor and am always somewhat surprised by the aggressive nature of some peoples allocation. My allocation follows the sage advice of Jack Bogle who recommended a good rule of thumb to be "your age in bonds" as to the percentage breakdown. I have always followed his wisdom and although I don't hit home runs in investment returns...I can sleep soundly at night when the market turns bearish.

Putting " your age in bonds" is arguably the worst advice ever given. Inflation and withdrawals can severely erode ones balance and given most retirees, especially early retirees are looking at 20-30 years you can really hurt yourself with overexposed bond representation.

Totally. Unless you just have boatloads of money and don't mind losing substantially over time

The biggest risk to an early retiree living on a portfolio is inflation, not the ups and downs of the stock market. The worst failure in FIRECalc is caused the stagflation of the 1970s. 100% cash investments virtually guarantee falling behind inflation over the long term, so why would I do that and put my assets at risk? 100% cash is not "safe".

Totally. Unless you just have boatloads of money and don't mind losing substantially over time

Not me, but we clearly have some folks on this site who hold no equities or real estate investments.

"Your age in bonds." IOW everyone of the same age should have the same AA, regardless of financial circumstances and regardless of goals? How could anyone take that idea seriously?

61, retired 13 years, no pension. 100% individual equities (dividend growth stocks) since 1993. Dividends now cover expenses by a considerable margin, so excess goes into buying more stock.

Age 60. AA 59/41. I will have to rebalance anyway when I pull next year's spending $ and plan to drop the equities 1 pt.

57-26-17 (at 61).
But I'm at 48% stocks in my 403b; younger wife is about 68%-22-10.

Cash is more than enough for 4 years of withdrawals; at that point, I'll draw SS and slowly increase equities, a la Kitces mentioned earlier, probably to 65%. In 3 years DW's IRAs will become available for withdrawal, which will reduce the load on my portfolio.

I'm most concerned about SORR for the next 4 years until SS; after that and particularly after DW starts drawing SS, the risk for an extended period of bad market returns goes down markedly and I'll equalize allocations in both our portfolios. The risk over the next 4-5 years is the reason for cash/bonds (cash is also in part to place in stocks if a 20% correction occurs); after that the risk is when I'm 100-105, hence the increase in stock allocations after the near-term risk is survived.

Last edited:
58, not retired. If I look at everything, I'm sitting at about 53%/47%, but it's not a number I target overall.
Instead, I have my portfolio in two categories
1) Stock/Bond allocation
2) Income Streams

Stock/Bond sits at 60/40 with stock heavily in Mid/Small caps (both blend and value) and intermediate treasuries for bonds.
Income streams will include SS, but it also includes Ibonds & TIPs funds. SS + Ibonds/TIPs will fund about 90% of minimum spending needs starting at age 70 with Tips/Ibonds set up to last about 15 years. After that, if we're still kicking and our stock/bond portfolio is still doing well, we'll consider a SPIA to carry us the rest of the way.

Withdrawals will use the Time Value of Money approach, which extends the PMT approach to include NPV of future income streams. It turns concerns about SORR depleting your portfolio prematurely into Sequence of Income Risk, which suits me. Just note, a lot of financial advice, rules of thumbs, etc. out there all assume an SWR type of withdrawal method and may or may not apply to this method. If interested, the thread is on bogleheads (complete with example spreadsheets).
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274243

Cheers

Last edited:
Age 63 and holding at 40/50/10. The cash portion is due to low current interest rates and overall high valuations. 10%is the max i will allow for speculation.

Last edited:
Age 62, 55/36/9 on my way to 55/35/10.

I was 100% equities until I turned 50 then moved slowly towards 65/35 at retirement two years ago. Since then I have been living off equities and starting buildup of cash. I currently have covered all expenses through August 2021 in cash and plan to keep two years expenses in cash as long as market is rising; if a bear market arrives I will live off my cash for two plus years (will probably cut back on discretionary expenses at some point).

Marc

Age 61, Retirement accounts currently 53/47. I'm considering lowering the equity to maybe 45% in the near future.

I am 63, DW 58, AA is 55%/45%(Bonds + Cash)

Whose age? For those who have all their bills covered and will be giving assets away at death, perhaps the age of the beneficiaries is more appropriate? The stepup in basis makes this easy.

For those with sizeable pensions/annuities/FICA the question is less relevant, since they may not be dependent on the portfolio at all.

In my case, I am completely dependent on the portfolio and won't get much FICA kickbacks, so I need to put more thought into it. I expect to ease toward various fixed payouts and to use the Roboadviser plan to shift my expectations as I age. As I lose interest in stocks, I will just transfer to the Robo.

I'm at 74/19/5 at age 56.

The cash is easy to size for me, I keep incoming bills and planned expenses for about 2 years. The next slice is a mortgage that pays my lean expenses for the year. The rest goes to individual stocks.

Back
Top Bottom