Asymptomatic spreading is rare

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today, I hear on the morning news (not sure of source) that O blood types have less chance of infection, while it's greater for A blood types. I think I hear "footprints" about to walk this one in reverse.....

What about blondes vs brunettes?

So today, I hear on the morning news (not sure of source) that O blood types have less chance of infection, while it's greater for A blood types. I think I hear "footprints" about to walk this one in reverse.....

What about blondes vs brunettes?

This report originally came out of China back in March: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.20031096v2.full.pdf+html
At the time, I thought it was an interesting observation, but there was no idea on what mechanisms might be causing it and the sample was small.

Now there's a new study on patients from Spain and Italy: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.31.20114991v1.full.pdf+html
This one says "We herein report the first robust genetic susceptibility loci for the development of respiratory failure in Covid-19", and lo and behold, one of the areas they identified is the one on chromosome 9 that encodes the ABO blood group. The other area of interest is on chromosome 3, and it includes six genes, one of which interacts with ACE2 and others that relate to immune response.

So now it seems to be reproducible. Less chance of infection and less chance of complications doesn't mean no chance though, and an obese 70 year old with type O blood is certainly in more danger than a healthy 25 year old with type A blood.

I'm pretty sure I read another article that said the benefits accrue to O-. I'm O+ so the point registered.

I thought in the original news from China I guess, that type O was less likely to be infected, but if infected had a harder time. So it seemed like a double edged sword.

If less chance of complications I will be really happy as I tend to have an overactive immune system.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I read another article that said the benefits accrue to O-. I'm O+ so the point registered.

Oops, if it’s just for O- then darn!

Not according to this study:

...there were no statistical differences between self-reported rhesus factor (blood type + or -) in blood group O individuals...

In percentages, in the entire population, individuals with blood group O were 9-18% less likely to test positive when compared to other groups. "Exposed" individuals with blood group O were 13-26% less likely to test positive.

A quote from the MedRxiv indicted otherwise
People with O blood types (O-negative and O-positive) had a lower risk of getting the infection compared with non-O blood types, the scientists wrote in the preprint database medRxiv on March 27; the study has yet to be reviewed by peers in the field.

The rate of infection is one thing, but the rate of death is another. And I think there are a whole lot more things in play.

Here's the rate of death stats by country. I like these stas because they show the rate of death per million, so we can put the number of deaths in perspective. I didn't realize that Belgium has the highest death rate!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

BTW, I'm O+ too, but I come from a A+ dominant country (Japan).

Last edited:
Also, O blood type folks are more resistant to malaria. This was another factor/note/sidebar/asterisk in the chloroquine controversy.

I am O negative and DH is O positive so I guess we can go out a party (just kidding). I still don't think anyone has much of a clue about this virus.

I am O negative and DH is O positive so I guess we can go out a party (just kidding). I still don't think anyone has much of a clue about this virus.

We are seeing a lot of proof of that with the regular missteps by WHO, CDC and other scientific experts. Another example is the major study published in the esteemed scientific Journal Lancet. The study purported to show that Hydroxycloroquine was not just ineffective, it was dangerous when administered to Covid19 patients.

Some other studies were suspended after Lancet published the study on May 22.

The study turns out to have been based upon fraudulent data and has now been pulled. It lasted about 2 weeks.

We are seeing a lot of proof of that with the regular missteps by WHO, CDC and other scientific experts. Another example is the major study published in the esteemed scientific Journal Lancet. The study purported to show that Hydroxycloroquine was not just ineffective, it was dangerous when administered to Covid19 patients.

The study turns out to have been based upon fraudulent data and has now been pulled. It lasted about 2 weeks.

I think we are seeing science and medical research in real time, and it’s not as simple, neat or cut and dry as we may have imagined, or hoped.

Someone should do a poll on ER org blood types! Recall we did that in my high school science class. I was the only one in the class of 30+ with AB- :cool:.

I think one of the co-authors of the study was the CEO of the company that owned of the data. :facepalm:

seeing a lot more chatter on twitter (from medical blue check types) that the WHO announcement was possibly incorrect, incomplete, and they are already walking it back and throwing out new numbers...bleh

I was watching an interview with dr. fauci and he said there is no scientific data that supports that asymtomatic spreading is rare. Guess he's our fact checker.

How do I set it up? Not intuitive.
Start a new thread in the appropriate forum by clicking "New thread" at the upper left. Type in your desired title where it says "title". The title should include the word "poll" in it. Type your first post explaining the poll in the box where it says "message", but DO NOT hit "submit new thread". Instead, scroll down below the message box to "additional options." You'll see a box to check to create a poll and a box in which to pick the number of choices. For ABO blood typing, that would be 8 (A, B, AB, O, positive and negative for each). THEN hit "submit new thread" at the very bottom. You will be taken to a screen to name the eight options. Don't make the poll public, because then everyone who chooses an option is identified. Hit "submit new poll" at the bottom.

The poll questions take a few minutes to load and some smartypants may mention the lack of a poll. But don't despair, they'll eventually show up and people can participate.

Last edited:
I was watching an interview with dr. fauci and he said there is no scientific data that supports that asymtomatic spreading is rare. Guess he's our fact checker.

Well yeah except he has contradicted himself often as well.

Unfortunately with blatant fraudulent data and major retractions. That’s really disgusting. https://forbetterscience.com/2020/0...s-happen-if-not-for-covid-19-and-chloroquine/

No disagreement there. Lots of voices are clamoring for attention, not all are honest or above board. The Moderna execs sold a bundle of stock after an announcement that was, nicely put, misleading, perhaps deliberately so. There’s a certain impatience or even desperation in our search for medical advances to treat and fight COVID, and that’s a siren call to grifters and predators - and wannabe stars.

Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins), wrote this
If experts tell you something is unknowable, don’t keep asking new people until you get a straight answer. Because in doing so you haven’t found the truth, you have found someone who wants your ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom