At age 80?

Doing the Cha, Cha, Cha! And I hope the E-R mobile app is a bit easier to edit posts by then :).

Maybe some grandkids. Hopefully still mobile enough to get on an airplane...but not counting on it (desires might change) and they might have something other than air travel in 42 years :)

TO say I'll be colonizing mars is unlikely. Certainly by then they would take a stronger brute than an old hag of my future self.

Hopefully happy, and still knowing my children's names. That's really all I hope for.

I'm now in my late 60's and I seriously doubt that I'll see 80. Possible but not likely.

When I gave up running and started spinning about 8 years ago there was an 80+ year old guy in the class who kept up very well with the rest of us and who inspired younger class members. I'm 74 now and still spinning 2-3 times a week. When (if?) I'm 80, I want to be the octagenarian in the class who inspires those "young" guys in their 60's.

When I gave up running and started spinning about 8 years ago there was an 80+ year old guy in the class who kept up very well with the rest of us and who inspired younger class members. I'm 74 now and still spinning 2-3 times a week. When (if?) I'm 80, I want to be the octagenarian in the class who inspires those "young" guys in their 60's.

You just posted your 1000th post, congrats! I know I have a keen eye for detail.

I ran my first 'official' 15k last year. I was 36. The entire time I kept going back and forth passing and being passed by none other than a 64 year old. Yeah, he was definitely inspiring me...and proving to me I need practice! When I got done with the race I told my wife (Who also passed me up) that I just hope to be able to still compete at that age.

Saw a bunch of folks playing Tennis at the Kona Surf and Raquet club 2 winters ago that were well into there 60s. They were playing at a ridiculously high level. I had never actually witnessed a match as fast paced first hand as theirs. That REALLY inspired me...and my ole man!

That's about 10 years from now and unfortunately I see myself taking care
of a somewhat incapacitated DH. DH absolutely will not exercise with one excuse after another and it's been that way for years, though he did pulmonary rehab - supervised exercise - a couple years ago when I told him I was going to Nepal without him. Surprise, surprise, he got better at walking and about everything. DH's been invited to give talks in Spain in June/July and I don't want to go but I really think he'd have difficulties without me there to take care of logistics and carry things. Dang, he won't even buy a light weight computer for me to carry. Fortunately he snagged an invite to Italy the week before so now I'm happier about going.

As one of my colleagues said "now I know know what 'for worse' means." But that guy - in his mid 80s - now travels without his wife. I hope to still be rowing and doing the local half marathon every year and who knows what new things will come along. Who knows, maybe even we'll even have grandkids.

When I am 80 I want to be like my mother who is 86, doing great, still going strong, still dancing.

Living in a van down by the river, with several cats. It will be a top quality conversion van, and I and the furry companions will be deliriously happy :D

That's about 10 years from now and unfortunately I see myself taking care
of a somewhat incapacitated DH. DH absolutely will not exercise with one excuse after another and it's been that way for years, though he did pulmonary rehab - supervised exercise - a couple years ago when I told him I was going to Nepal without him. Surprise, surprise, he got better at walking and about everything. DH's been invited to give talks in Spain in June/July and I don't want to go but I really think he'd have difficulties without me there to take care of logistics and carry things. Dang, he won't even buy a light weight computer for me to carry. Fortunately he snagged an invite to Italy the week before so now I'm happier about going.

As one of my colleagues said "now I know know what 'for worse' means." But that guy - in his mid 80s - now travels without his wife. I hope to still be rowing and doing the local half marathon every year and who knows what new things will come along. Who knows, maybe even we'll even have grandkids.

Not really on topic, but quit carrying his crap around. And buy your own lightweight computer.

Don't underestimate how much this will bother you in the years ahead. My DH has had 2 open heart procedures in the last six years and even when I assisted him with recovery (and he worked his butt off recovering) I was surprised at how life changing his slowed down lifestyle was to accommodate.

Reply hazy, ask again

I'm not sure whether OP is asking what I'd want to happen, or what I predict will happen.

What I'd want is to be in good health with my mind intact, and ditto for DW. I'd like to have some lovely grandchildren to spoil. I'd like my portfolio to continue growing beyond not just my needs but a few fancy luxuries as well.
Estimated probability, 25%.

What I predict will happen is that at least one of either me or DW will develop significant mobility or memory problems, which will precipitate moving from our beloved lakefront retirement house back to the city. Estimated probability 75%.

I hope my next observation comes across as tragically romantic rather than morbid. If DW predeceases me then I will lose any reason to live. I'll probably simply shut down and follow her within a month. I've seen this happen to other elderly couples, and I just have a sense that I'm wired the same way.

Of course, if I go first, she'll bring a date to the funeral! :LOL:

OTOH, for all that we b*tch about the crazy cost of health care, the science behind medicine has been advancing at a blistering pace for decades. Maybe over the upcoming twenty years the impact of scleroses/cancer/dementia will be strongly mitigated, so we could still be in robust health enjoying year after golden year well past 80. In which case, I'll be glad I waited till 70 to claim my SS.

Keep it going.
My mother attends spinning classes at 86 y.o.

I ran my first 'official' 15k last year. I was 36. The entire time I kept going back and forth passing and being passed by none other than a 64 year old. Yeah, he was definitely inspiring me...and proving to me I need practice! When I got done with the race I told my wife (Who also passed me up) that I just hope to be able to still compete at that age.

One of my Navy buddies (a year older than I) ran in the Marine Corps Marathon in DC about 15 -20 years ago. He was a slow but steady runner. Toward the end of the race he was passed by none other than Oprah Winfrey. Of course, Navy guys being what they are he never heard about that from the other guys. No sir-ree! :angel:

Guess I ought to weigh in on the subject. Currently age 83.
Good and Bad....

Bad first...
...Stage 4 Alzheimer's... slow onset
...Poor sleep
...Losing strength
...Enjoy doing nothing... (wasn't like me)
...Beginning to lose curiosity... strange, but unpleasant
...Losing fighting spirit... against being taken advantage of... accept $$ loss for POM (peace of mind)
...Getting a bit sloppy... mispelings and bad sentences..
...No longer read books...my 70 year avocation.
...No biking... was a big part of my life until three years ago. Too dangerous now. Miss it.
...No more Florida home... :) jeanie reminds me of this.
......................................................................................

Good...
Everything else.. :)
First health.... better than ten years ago:
...blood pressure normal
...blood tests perfect
...better weight... down 15lbs.
...no gout (yippee!!! :dance:)
...prostate problem solved...
...arthritis and pain... gone...
...losing memory, but not the deeper intellect... BIG difference. Am certain that my measured IQ is less than before, but not the reasoning and analytical ability.
...feel safe dollarwise and future planningwise
...learned how to control my life. A very good thing.
...four loving sons and a great relationship between all of them. Imagine 300 to 1300 miles apart, and they all talk to the rest, two or three times a week.
...the comfort of knowing that whatever happens in the future, living in our CCRC and being able to go to whatever part of it becomes necessary... the biggest factor that we both agree on.

...Wait..,! Wait...!!! the best thing is having my jeanie beside me. Love her more than ever since we first met @ age 7, around 1943.

Ya know what? I think I may be the luckiest (not the wealthiest) guy in the world. :dance:

Last edited:
Good and Bad....

Bad first...
...Poor sleep
...Losing strength
...Losing fighting spirit... against being taken advantage of... accept $$ loss for POM (peace of mind)
...No biking... was a big part of my life until three years ago. Too dangerous now. Miss it.

Good...
...blood pressure normal
...blood tests perfect
...losing memory, but not the deeper intellect... BIG difference. Am certain that my measured IQ is less than before, but not the reasoning and analytical ability.
...learned how to control my life. Maybe the best thing.
...four sons and a great relationship between all of them. Imagine 300 to 1300 miles apart, and they all talk to the rest, two or three times a week.
...the comfort of knowing that whatever happens in the future, living in our CCRC and being able to go to whatever part of it becomes necessary... the biggest factor that we both agree on.

Wait!... Wait...!!! the best thing is having my jeanie beside me. Love her more than ever since we first met @ age 7, around 1943.

Last edited:

...Wait..,! Wait...!!! the best thing is having my jeanie beside me. Love her more than ever since we first met @ age 7, around 1943.

Ya know what? I think I may be the luckiest (not the wealthiest) guy in the world. :dance:
Seems pretty lucky to me! :)

Good and Bad....

Bad first...
...Poor sleep
...Losing strength
......................................................................................

Good...
...blood pressure normal
...blood tests perfect
...learned how to control my life. A very good thing.
...four loving sons and a great relationship between all of them. Imagine 300 to 1300 miles apart, and they all talk to the rest, two or three times a week.

Thank you again for your posting. My father is 87, and I think he is still good, beating me in playing cards.

80 huh? Well...I think I'll still have my short, shag haircut and will be wearing jeans and tee shirts. I'll meet with my gal pals and while playing poker, we'll dis the missing pal because she's spending too much time with her 65 year old boy toy. ...oh, and I'll be sippin' on my JD and diet coke.

Hey...I'll be 80, I can drink if I wanna....

80 huh? Well...I think I'll still have my short, shag haircut and will be wearing jeans and tee shirts. I'll meet with my gal pals and while playing poker, we'll dis the missing pal because she's spending too much time with her 65 year old boy toy. ...oh, and I'll be sippin' on my JD and diet coke.

Hey...I'll be 80, I can drink if I wanna....

Best answer ever !

Back
Top Bottom