At what age did you retire or plan to retire?

At what age did you or will you retire?

• Age 49 or younger

Votes: 61 13.4%
  • Age 50-54

Votes: 109 24.0%
  • Age 55-59

Votes: 163 35.8%
  • Age 60-62

Votes: 79 17.4%
  • Age 63-65

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Age 66-69

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Age 70 or older

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
DH was offered and accepted an early buyout when he was 55. He went back to work consulting in the same building. I kept working, mainly for health insurance and to keep plugging the max in my 401(k) since we were a bit behind.

I retired at 61 and he finally, finally retired at 65 when he was eligible for Medicare. Retirement is a little slice of heaven.

I am retiring on January 21st of 2022 technically at the age of 49 but 3 months shy of the big 5-0! I can't wait.

The finances are planned for this early retirement to be permanent if I want it to be. But I really have no idea if it will be. I doubt I will go back to my prior deadline and stressful corporate j*b but probably some volunteer work and an odd part-time job here or there. I was thinking of maybe trying the adjunct professor thing down the road at some point.

56, after making sure I can take money out of my 401K without penalty.

My plan was to retire at 63 when my pension will be at the optimal amount. After that my return on the investment of my time is not worth it.
I’m retiring at the end of this month at age 63.
There were times when I thought I wouldn’t make it and retire early but here I am right on schedule.

1st "retirement" was 40...8 months in Mexico... Test run.
Returned to LA for a year & w*rked. We wondered why we went back.
Returned to Mexico for 2 years and traveled extensively (in our definition)
2015, @ 45 returned to Dallas and went back to w*rk.
Early 2018 started a small business & doing what I want for some pocket change waiting for DW to hang up her hat...

My average is under 49...

At age 47, I looked at my income and savings trajectory and decided I would probably have enough for a comfortable retirement for DH and I at age 57. By age 56, it appeared we had well exceeded that goal, so I submitted my resignation letter that year.

My plan was to work at least to 62 if not later. (Ex spouse was a spender.) Got divorced, reconnected with the ex girlfriend I should have married all those years ago, who was living in South America and I looked at what that life would cost there and packed it in and packed it all up and moved way south. Best decision ever in a lifetime of pretty good decisions and been retired at since 2013 where as I would likely not have made it yet.

Spending only 10% of what I did while married in Los Angeles changed everything. Pursuing my own deals and a Low cost of living for the first few years really added to the nest egg!

I started reading about retirement at 55, with a goal of full retirement at 65. After putting together various worksheets, learning about the 4% rules, and seeing our NW went past our magic numbers, we could have retired at 59. However we waited until all kids have graduated from colleges before full retirement at 60-1/2. Been living on taxable and IRA accounts since, but NW keeps going up :)

Planned to be able to retire at 55 starting when I was 25. Actually was able to retire at 56, and walked away. Now I am working harder then ever on projects and relaxing!!

Back
Top Bottom