Australia Power Adapter Ideas

z-d-g

Recycles dryer sheets
We're going to Australia for the first time in November and are having a hell of a time trying to figure out which power adapter would be best for us. I basically just need something for my Lenovo laptop and my Samsung phone, nothing terribly interesting.

Has anyone bought an AUS to USA adapter they like?

Also, if there are any Aussies on the board that would be willing to help me out, I'd almost rather just buy the Lenovo Australia T400 power adapter but of course those bozos won't ship it to me in the US -- would anyone in Australia be willing to accept my order and then ship it to me in the states? If so, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Most laptop power adapters are universal and will work with 110/220V (it should be marked on the adapter itself). So probably your current one would work. All you need to do is find a prong adapter for few bucks at frys/monoprice etc.

Most laptop power adapters are universal and will work with 110/220V (it should be marked on the adapter itself). So probably your current one would work. All you need to do is find a prong adapter for few bucks at frys/monoprice etc.
Exactly.

We're headed to China (Mainland/Hong Kong/Singapore) on Wednesday and were surprised that our Aussie/United Kingdom adapters (from previous trips) will work fine.

Also, don't forget that regardless of where you travel in the world, most modern hotels have shaver outlets in the bathroom that will accept the double blade (US) and double prong (Euro) plugs and have a switch for 110 volt supply. These are handy for once daily charges, such as done on a cell phone.

As photoguy said, most computers and phones have chargers that will work on anything from 100 - 250 volts, so it that's all you're charging (rather than a fan or a heater or a toaster oven) all you need is a plug adapter.

And you can buy a universal adapter for about $10 at nearly any convenience store, food store or drug store (at least in Sydney, where I bought mine).

It is important to know the difference between and adapter and a converter. The former just conforms your US plug to the foreign plug. The latter does that and converts the voltage.

As others mentioned, most laptop transformers have a converter built in so all you need is an adapter.

My dear sister used an adapter in the UK with her US hair dryer. She was amazed at how quickly her hair was drying until the thing burnt to a crisp!

Back
Top Bottom