Auto Insurance Jump (FL)

FLSUnFIRE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just got my renewal from USAA and it's a 20% jump (mostly driven by injury liability). A bit unexpected and enough to motivate me to shop around (not happy as I have my HO/Umbrella with them and would like to stay in the family). It's been >20 years since I last had my auto policy with someone else as USAA has always been very competitive when I compare so not too optimistic I'll find much better. Unfortunately, I started the Safe Pilot thing too late to get more than the default 10% discount this renewal despite my 97 score when it reset.

Is everyone else seeing big jumps? I'm already bracing for the HO renewal once Ian gets factored in.

My GEICO jumped a good bit (I don't recall the %age), in part because I was widowed last year (marriage = discount). I stayed with GEICO, however, because I've been with them long enough (5 years) to earn 1st accident forgiveness.

When we moved to Florida, our auto insurance nearly doubled, even though we're not in a metropolitan area, as we had been in MD. The GEICO agent explained that Florida is considered very high-risk, and after experiencing the 120-mph drivers on I-95, I can see why.

Just got my renewal from USAA and it's a 20% jump (mostly driven by injury liability). A bit unexpected and enough to motivate me to shop around (not happy as I have my HO/Umbrella with them and would like to stay in the family). It's been >20 years since I last had my auto policy with someone else as USAA has always been very competitive when I compare so not too optimistic I'll find much better. Unfortunately, I started the Safe Pilot thing too late to get more than the default 10% discount this renewal despite my 97 score when it reset.

Is everyone else seeing big jumps? I'm already bracing for the HO renewal once Ian gets factored in.

My GEICO jumped a good bit (I don't recall the %age), in part because I was widowed last year (marriage = discount). I stayed with GEICO, however, because I've been with them long enough (5 years) to earn 1st accident forgiveness.

When we moved to Florida, our auto insurance nearly doubled, even though we're not in a metropolitan area, as we had been in MD. The GEICO agent explained that Florida is considered very high-risk, and after experiencing the 120-mph drivers on I-95, I can see why.

Yeah, big jump moving here.... over two decades ago. USAA has been pretty linear in their increases for a long time for me-generally close to inflation so this was a bit unexpected. I'll direct my hate to Morgan and Morgan and their ilk since it's almost all liability and PIP. FWIW, Geico has always been within a dollar or two of USAA when I've shopped in the past.

We moved from Liberty Mutual to Travelers who were reasonably cheaper, but that was 2 months ago.
Actually used a broker who is affiliated with Liberty. (Ironic).

We are newly with State Farm, and our first renewal jumped a bit. We called them and objected since it was so much so fast, and got back to our original rates as that was a super bait and switch.

In the meantime I checked Geico, our prior, and that had gone up much more.

how do you decide what parameters to tell the insurance companies when you want a quote? I have two houses, two cars, umberella. the whole thing about the deductibles and the house value gets me down. do you just use the last insurance companies deductibles and values and give a copy to the insurance companies you are trying to price with? I am with west bend and they went up about 8 percent last year so I am expecting a little more this year. I called and asked why and the agent said that 8 to 10 percent is just standard year over year. so I decided to start looking.

We just got our bill for our 2 cars. It is ~10% over last year's. I guess with the value of used autos, the cost of repair materials and labor rising so much, it sounds like a fairly reasonable increase. Social Security giveth and insurance companies taketh away.

We are newly with State Farm, and our first renewal jumped a bit. We called them and objected since it was so much so fast, and got back to our original rates as that was a super bait and switch.

In the meantime I checked Geico, our prior, and that had gone up much more.

We’re with State Farm, too, for years, and have 2 vehicles up for renewal. One has a 50% increase and the other is up 40%.

The cars are 18 and 20 years old.

You think Florida is bad ... Try Louisiana OUCH !! more laywers than drivers sueing for every little scratch !!! Hope you can find cheaper

It looks like ours went up about 15% from the start of 2021 until now. But cost isn't the only factor, since others have said they've seen similar increases with other insurers, I'd definitely stay with USAA. I've been moving our banking from USAA to Fidelity, because USAA has been sliding steadily downhill for years now IMO, but their insurance still has excellent customer service. We have made 3 or 4 claims over the last 30 years, and they've always taken care of everything for us, from repairs to loaners to fighting with the other person's insurance when they're at fault.

Last edited:
We’re with State Farm, too, for years, and have 2 vehicles up for renewal. One has a 50% increase and the other is up 40%.

The cars are 18 and 20 years old.

Those are some crazy increases. Not looking forward to our auto and home insurance renewals.

It looks like ours went up about 15% from the start of 2021 until now. But cost isn't the only factor, since others have said they've seen similar increases with other insurers, I'd definitely stay with USAA. I've been moving our banking from USAA to Fidelity, because USAA has been sliding steadily downhill for years now IMO, but their insurance still has excellent customer service. We have made 3 or 4 claims over the last 30 years, and they've always taken care of everything for us, from repairs to loaners to fighting with the other person's insurance when they're at fault.

I'm pretty sticky with USAA as I will NOT move my HO... they have solid financials and are the only one I know of that do not have a separate subsidiary for FL (and great customer service). I will still shop around for auto a bit just to see but it sounds like claims are going up enough across the board to drive up rates everywhere. I should get a better discount through the Safe Pilot next renewal when I have more driving history.

When I switched to USAA it was from Geico after a ~20% increase and USAA was about what my old rate was... first renewal USAA raised about 20% and Geico and USAA have been neck and neck (usually about $3/6 month difference) for nearly 20 years. I'm a little soured on Geico after one of their insureds crashed into me a few years ago... never a good thing but they didn't make me whole IMO so I'm hesitant to give them my money.

Geico was 40% more than my new USAA quote! I feel better now about my renewal rate...well not really but less ripped off. Of course they know who I am and asked about accident history (their insured idiot hit me and they determined he was 100% liable without arguement -Turned left in into my path from the right lane of a 3 lane one way street) so not sure if that was a factor.

Talked to friends in the real world last night and it sounds like everyone is getting big jumps this year. Hopefully the next renewal will have a good discount from the Safe Pilot program.

how do you decide what parameters to tell the insurance companies when you want a quote? I have two houses, two cars, umberella. the whole thing about the deductibles and the house value gets me down. do you just use the last insurance companies deductibles and values and give a copy to the insurance companies you are trying to price with? I am with west bend and they went up about 8 percent last year so I am expecting a little more this year. I called and asked why and the agent said that 8 to 10 percent is just standard year over year. so I decided to start looking.

I'm in the same boat--2 houses, numerous cars and an umbrella policy. In the past, I split my business between Allstate and State Farm until State Farm cancelled me because of our daughter's wreck. Insurance is our largest personal expense in our retirement. I'm now at Allstate for 1 home and cars.

When shopping for insurance 3 years ago, Allstate wanted $4,500 a year for Homeowners coverage, but I got it at Nationwide for $2,000. The renewal this month was at $2,900. I shopped the homeowners coverage earlier and was getting $5,400 pricing. Nationwide is saying that to replace my main home would cost twice what I paid for the place 3 years ago and I disagree. Another angle is that we live in a low cost of living place where homes are far less to build than other parts of the country.

I see personal insurance to be a lose/lose situation. Cannot afford it, but cannot afford to be without it. I'm not so sure there are any Good Guys in the insurance market at this time.

You think Florida is bad ... Try Louisiana OUCH !! more laywers than drivers sueing for every little scratch !!! Hope you can find cheaper

Yep!

We moved from Louisiana to Florida 5 years ago and recall the excitement over a major drop in both homeowners and auto insurance!

No rate increase for our Florida GEICO auto renewal that just happened.

(We did drop collision as we are now driving a 10 year auto so we are saving even a few more bucks)

We are in North Florida.

Not Car insurance, but we just received our home insurance for a home 1.5 miles from the ocean on a barrier island in NW. Fla.

IT WENT DOWN! not by much but it did not go up, amazing. Deflation maybe :) ?

Back
Top Bottom