Shopping for Home and Auto Insurance

Allstate caps their coverage for umbrella policies at $5M regardless of net worth, which is how we ended up with that coverage limit. However, yes, our net worth exceeds $5M, so I would prefer not to insure for less.

If you're interested in higher coverage, Geico states their coverage can go as high as $10 million for qualified applicants. I have no idea what makes someone a "qualified applicant".

I spoke to another Allstate agent this morning. Great guy, spent over an hour on the phone with me. He told me that even if I switch to him, my old agent will continue to receive the entire commission for as long as I remain with Allstate. But in spite of that, he was very helpful and said he would be more than happy to take over my policy.

I kept challenging him on whether there was any way to move the commission over to him since I don't like to ask people to work for free, but he insisted there wasn't, but it wouldn't be a problem. Seems very strange to me. He did identify several items on the policy that needed to change.

I did receive a quote from Amica, but it was the highest of five quotes so I didn't pursue it any further.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Geico, AAA and Wawanesa are low cost providers. If you qualify for USAA, give that a try.

I have 2m of umbrella insurance.
I am paying $832 in So Cal.
It is up for renewal so I think I will shop it around

Anyone have experience with Progressive?
I got an online quote for home&auto package that's a few hundred less than our current policies (with 2 different companies). We've had good claims experience with our current insurers, though, so I'm reluctant to bail on them.

Anyone have experience with Progressive?
I got an online quote for home&auto package that's a few hundred less than our current policies (with 2 different companies). We've had good claims experience with our current insurers, though, so I'm reluctant to bail on them.

I just called Progressive to get a quote. They were the highest so far. AAA won't quote us because my partner is not legally married to me, and I'm not eligible for USAA.

I'm currently going thru this process because Progressive bumped my $1M umbrella 50%. Since apparently few companies offer umbrella by itself I've been getting quotes on auto, home and Umbrella. So far in my area (SW Oregon) Safeco seems to be the cheapest. Seriously considering switching over. I'm wondering if I should wait until the expiration of the Progressive policies (Mid April) or cancel them now and switch to Safeco.

Going through the process now. I have Metlife through my employer and since I will be retiring in June Metlife will increase the premiums by 5% (loss of company discount). I got a quote from Amica and Liberty Mutual for 3 cars, a condo and an umbrella. Liberty mutual is $900 cheaper than Metlife with Amica at $500. Both Liberty mutual and Amica have a good reputation here in the Boston area.

Looks like I'll go with Liberty Mutual.

I spoke to another Allstate agent this morning. Great guy, spent over an hour on the phone with me. He told me that even if I switch to him, my old agent will continue to receive the entire commission for as long as I remain with Allstate. But in spite of that, he was very helpful and said he would be more than happy to take over my policy.

I kept challenging him on whether there was any way to move the commission over to him since I don't like to ask people to work for free, but he insisted there wasn't, but it wouldn't be a problem. Seems very strange to me. He did identify several items on the policy that needed to change.

I did receive a quote from Amica, but it was the highest of five quotes so I didn't pursue it any further.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

That does seem strange to me also... if that is the case, I would want to get a letter from my broker that said she was not going to be my agent and move it to your new one....

Back
Top Bottom