Auto Pay

There was a lady in Pontiac Mich who died in 2009 and her body wasn't discovered until 2014 apparently partially due to auto pay of bills. I think a live spouse could deal with autopay. What I do every month is pretty much look at the payment email.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/michigan-mummified-body-found/index.html

It's quite a stretch to attribute the lack of discovery to autopay in any significant way. I've mowed my neighbor's lawn a few times when I thought they were unable to do it but I think I'd poke around a bit more before 5 years went by.

Everything is on autopay via my Amazon card, which I pay off right after the bill arrives. Just got $120 to use on Amazon last month. We get text notifications days before a payment hits the card, in case there’s an issue to be resolved. I love it.

FYI (and off-topic), it's financially better to get the $120 in cash from the credit card company (Chase). Amazon won't give you the 5% bonus if you spend the bucks directly on Amazon when shopping.

I autopay everything that I'm able. What gives me confidence is that all my accounts are connected to Quicken so I can see the amounts due at least a couple of weeks in advance when the statements are posted and can plan to have adequate funds available in the checking account. Without that connection I would have to have a much larger balance in a non-interest bearing credit union checking account.

I autopay everything that I'm able. What gives me confidence is that all my accounts are connected to Quicken so I can see the amounts due at least a couple of weeks in advance when the statements are posted and can plan to have adequate funds available in the checking account. Without that connection I would have to have a much larger balance in a non-interest bearing credit union checking account.

prob good to continue the monitoring of upcoming payments...........perhaps as a backup you might check your CU to see if they have personal lines of credit.
At my CU you can get up to 10K LOC.......no fees unless you overdraft and then the only cost is the interest for the days you are using the LOC. Reminds me I should check to see whether the full amount is invoked or just the overdraft amount.

Back
Top Bottom