Automobile Maintenance

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I thought a thread about auto maintenance would be useful.

I’ll start with my Toyota Hybrid, but I see no reason to limit it to one make or model.

My owners manual advises me to add the Toyota EFI Tank Additive or equivalent every 5000 miles if the car is operated in Hawaii, Samoa, Puerto Rico or Saipan. So, I am off the hook for that. But it raises the question…….

Why do those regions need a special additive?

U.S. Virgin Islands are off the hook. :cool:

We have a Highlander Hybrid. 3 row SUV and we average 35 MPG.

I have found that the computer forum for your model-specific vehicle can be very, very valuable regarding maintenance concerns.

Specific model forums are still alive and well, like this forum, even though forums in general are supposedly declining on the internet.

They are better than reddit, Facebook or any other social media platform.

One warning: sure, read them ahead of a purchase, but don't obsess. Every car has issues, and if you read the forums too deep, you will go nuts and think every car is falling apart.

Are specific model forums usually at manufacturer websites, or at third party sites?

Are specific model forums usually at manufacturer websites, or at third party sites?

Third party. Wide open without interference, so you get the real story.

I follow:
- Honda Odyssey: https://www.odyclub.com/
- Subaru Outback: https://www.subaruoutback.org/
- Subaru Legacy: https://www.legacygt.com/

A lot of the better forums are run by Verticalscope, so they all have the same look and feel. This is kind of like Social Knowledge (owner of this forum) runs a lot of RV forums, so they have a similar look and feel.

Last edited:
I have found that the computer forum for your model-specific vehicle can be very, very valuable regarding maintenance concerns.

Specific model forums are still alive and well, like this forum, even though forums in general are supposedly declining on the internet.

They are better than reddit, Facebook or any other social media platform.

One warning: sure, read them ahead of a purchase, but don't obsess. Every car has issues, and if you read the forums too deep, you will go nuts and think every car is falling apart.

I am the last person you would want to ask a question about a car. After recently buying a car, I found my model forum. It has been a great place to learn and ask questions. The members are enthusiastic and willing to share.

I was so pleased when members provided a YouTube for a bike carrier rack hack since one had not been identified by Honda. When I bought the car I assumed that adding a bike carrier would be as easy as driving to Uhaul.

Regarding the Toyota recommendation - I would follow Toyota’s recommendation to keep the car warranty in tact. Toyota’s are known to be one of the most reliable and long lived car mfg’s on the planet.

Regarding the Toyota recommendation - I would follow Toyota’s recommendation to keep the car warranty in tact. Toyota’s are known to be one of the most reliable and long lived car mfg’s on the planet.

When I was looking for minivans, I discovered that with even the oldest vans, Toyota Siennas were in short supply. Honda Odysseys were more plentiful.

Now I know why. Siennas have better long term reliability. Despite the Honda issues, I'm still happy. The Odyclub forum has been very, very helpful.

After I log off here, I'm going to switch out the transmission fluid on my 2011 Odyssey. Honda is great at manual transmissions, but still is learning about automatics. The Odyssey requires frequent fluid changes. This is learned through the forum, where various TSBs and other official service documents are referenced. The great news about the Honda Odyssey transmission is that it is one of the few that has a drain plug. Very, very easy to do a fluid swap out. I can do one with OEM fluid for $50, whereas the dealer will charge $250!

Another vote for the model specific forums. Not all are great, but some are. My GMC truck has a great forum. There’s good information there and I’ve learned about a specific issue that I’m keeping an eye out for. It’s amazing that with so many people experiencing this particular issue that GM is not forced to do a recall. Do keep in mind that there is definitely a negative bias on any forum like those. Not many people come to praise their vehicles but those coming with the problems can be very helpful. And, there’s a lot of information about truck modifications and maintenance information.

My other vehicle - Cadillac XT5 - doesn’t have much of a forum. Guessing not too many Cadillac owners are interested in doing their own maintenance, etc. Still, I bet if there was a prevailing flaw, it would get discussed.

My owners manual advises me to add the Toyota EFI Tank Additive or equivalent every 5000 miles if the car is operated in Hawaii, Samoa, Puerto Rico or Saipan.

Because they do not require or have ethanol in their fuel. So you have to add the EFI Tank Additive to keep your fuel injectors clean.

I'm active on several car forums. Some are pretty good, and others not so much. Activity/discussions/information, seems to be directly proportional to the popularity of the specific vehicle. But like "all public forums" a little common sense goes a long way separating fact from fiction.

I thought a thread about auto maintenance would be useful.

I’ll start with my Toyota Hybrid, but I see no reason to limit it to one make or model.

My owners manual advises me to add the Toyota EFI Tank Additive or equivalent every 5000 miles if the car is operated in Hawaii, Samoa, Puerto Rico or Saipan. So, I am off the hook for that. But it raises the question…….

That's an interesting question, so I did some searching- here's what I found:

Because Hawaii and Puerto Rico do not require ethanol in their gas, Toyota now offers this EFI Tank Additive. It contains Active ingredients such as surface activator (breaks the surface tension between non-miscible liquids), fatty alcohol, petro naphtha, synthetic oil and organic amine).

This EFI Tank Additive mimics Toyota's attempt to make a non-top-tier gas act like Top Tier Gas.

Is it necessary or required? Hard to say, because so much depends on the gasoline you start with. By the time you add the EFI Additive, it may or may not do what it is designed to do ...

Because they do not require or have ethanol in their fuel. So you have to add the EFI Tank Additive to keep your fuel injectors clean.

Interesting. I had not thought of that. I thought it might have something to do with high humidity and water forming in the fuel system. Now I know better.

Since this is a thread about auto maintenance and there is no other procedure more basic than an oil and filter change....does anybody else besides me get a bit nervous adhering to the recommended oil change intervals nowadays? These are often 7,000 to 10,000 miles between oil changes, more with synthetic oils.

I'm from the old school where 3,000 miles between oil changes were the norm. Admittedly that was 40 to 50 year ago. But I just have a natural recoil action to going 7,000 miles between oil changes.

Since this is a thread about auto maintenance and there is no other procedure more basic than an oil and filter change....does anybody else besides me get a bit nervous adhering to the recommended oil change intervals nowadays? These are often 7,000 to 10,000 miles between oil changes, more with synthetic oils.

I'm from the old school where 3,000 miles between oil changes were the norm. Admittedly that was 40 to 50 year ago. But I just have a natural recoil action to going 7,000 miles between oil changes.
A lot depends on your driving conditions. Many cars 10k miles of long sustained highway driving is less contaminants in the oil and filter than 3k of short trips stop and go. Also your environment, how dirty is the air? How much temp differential from cold start? Modern engines are very good at keeping oil clean vs the older days. Improved machining tolerances, materials improvements, cleaner burning, all keep the oil cleaner.

Since I do all my own maintenance, and more short to medium length trips, I just change mine every 5k. Easy to monitor on the odometer, 5, 20, 15, 20 25, etc. Also an oil change is cheap insurance for me.

Synthetic for most of my fleet...changed annually.

A couple are old enough that they get regular oil & those get changed twice/year.

Just one data point. I had a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. In 11.5 years, I put 303k miles on it and then gave it away when I retired. It was still running strong the last time I saw it. I changed the oil and filer every 9k miles or so (whenever the reminder light went on) with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and an OEM filter. Never a problem.

I aim for every 5k with synthetic , but don't get too anxious if I slip to 6 or 7K because of the weather.
Not going to change the oil if I have to shovel the driveway :LOL:

I'm going to look for a toyota sienna forum..

5000 miles is once a year for us. And sometimes I don't clock 5000 miles in a year.

A lot depends on your driving conditions. Many cars 10k miles of long sustained highway driving is less contaminants in the oil and filter than 3k of short trips stop and go.

My parents had a nice Ford Camper Special pickup.... He used it as his daily driver to work.... 1.5 miles in the morning, same to drive home.... killed the engine in 3 years.

in the past, oil change every 3k miles, with the newer synthetic we go 5k. DH does not want to push to 10k.
In retirement, especially since I no longer work on call, oil change is about once a year!

I have a Toyota Corolla and drive 2700 miles a year. I use synthetic oil and usually change it yearly. After reading this thread I may be able to go longer.

Back
Top Bottom