Avian Flu, egg shortages and inflation

ivinsfan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you aren't aware. we are in the middle of a larger national Avian flu outbreak.

My local Walmart has been OUT of eggs for at least 10 days. Aldi's has a few with a purchase limit at 2.89 per dozen.

Our county a large turkey producer had 3 more barns condemned yesterday including a barn of turkey hens.

This definitely will push up prices in other meats and products that use eggs.

In the last outbreak in around 09 our county had to condemn millions of turkeys. I just snagged two nice hams at 1.19 a lb for my freezer.

A couple months ago I noticed that one Target location by us had drastically underpriced eggs - 99 cents/dozen, $1.39 for 18. And it was just this Target location, others in the area had normal/higher priced. Over the past few weeks, as grocery store eggs have shot higher, the Target also went up, but only to $1.19 and $1.69 respectively. I began going online and just ordering two 18-packs and picked them up on my daily errands.

I just checked, and those are still the prices...and we're low on eggs so ordered and will pick them up later today.

just did our shopping a few days ago and didn't notice any egg shortage at the time.
Planning a 'Costco run, so will grab one of their 18 pack, don't have room for their 5 dozen pack!!

just did our shopping a few days ago and didn't notice any egg shortage at the time.
Planning a 'Costco run, so will grab one of their 18 pack, don't have room for their 5 dozen pack!!

I think it will get worse, I found it very strange that Walmart has no eggs. I couldn't order them in my weekly pickup. Then a few days later had to get an RX in store and walked back to the egg supply for an eyeball check, No eggs.

I can't help but notice that the snack aisle at our local Kroger owned supermarket has some rather big gaps where the crackers and cookies are. But, there are plenty of Twinkies.

I can't help but notice that the snack aisle at our local Kroger owned supermarket has some rather big gaps where the crackers and cookies are. But, there are plenty of Twinkies.

That's another thing my Walmart is out of stock particularly the great value

How long do eggs last in the refriigerator?

Funny you should ask that, as I was just looking that up before I logged into this site tonight. The internet says 3 - 5 weeks if refrigerated. It suggests that the eggs be kept towards the back of the frig, so the temperature changes caused by opening and shutting the door doesn't affect them too much.

I'm hosting a good size group for Easter and of course, we must have Easter eggs colored/dyed by my grandkids. My local Walmart is limiting 1 dozen per customer and at that, the cooler was almost empty. I feel I better get hunting down 2 or 3 dozen in the next few days before they are all gone. Wish me luck!

When it rains it pours! It just seems like it is one thing after another the last few years. I'm hoping the ship starts on a straight and narrow pretty soon.

Not sure, but they last weeks past the date on the carton.

I bought an 18 pack today for $2.99 glad I did as I actually hesitated, since I was at Jewel (expensive) and planned to go to Aldi (cheap) tomorrow.

Was hoping I had a Just4U deal on the eggs, but nope.
It's a weird point system at Jewel, and sometimes there are killer deals and I earn FREE food.
I only go for the great deals, as everything else is overpriced.

How long do eggs last in the refrigerator?

Can't speak about a refrigerator. But on my first submarine, we stored eggs in one of the escape trunks next to a hatch. The escape trunk temperature was naturally very close to seawater temperature, usually between 30 - 50 F. Eggs would be fine there for a couple of months.

Expiration dates or "use by" dates are very conservative for most products.

If you're concerned about the eggs being bad just float them in a cup of water. If they float toss them. Without breaking them open!

So long as you don't wash the eggs they will last a very long time. Washing the shell removes a natural protective coating and the eggs will spoil faster.

If you're concerned about the eggs being bad just float them in a cup of water. If they float toss them. Without breaking them open!
Actually, according to the USDA, the air bubble grows as the egg ages, but it's not a definite measure of whether an egg is safe to eat or not. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safe...and-preparation/eggs/shell-eggs-farm-table#32
What does it mean when an egg floats in water?
An egg can float in water when its air cell has enlarged sufficiently to keep it buoyant. This means the egg is old, but it may be perfectly safe to use. Crack the egg into a bowl and examine it for an off-odor or unusual appearance before deciding to use or discard it. A spoiled egg will have an unpleasant odor when you break open the shell, either when raw or cooked.

Last edited:
So long as you don't wash the eggs they will last a very long time. Washing the shell removes a natural protective coating and the eggs will spoil faster.

All American supermarket eggs are washed by the producer - that is why they are refrigerated. Washing them again won't matter. In the EU they are not washed, still have that protective coating (google tells me it is is called bloom), and are sold unrefrigerated.

Here's a good discussion: https://www.betterhensandgardens.com/fresh-eggs-washed-unwashed/

Back
Top Bottom