Food Shopping

Costco charges $4.69 for 600 tabs of the generic equivalent of Benedryl. We picked up a bottle for dear FIL.
Wow, at that price, carry extras to hand out to noisy children sitting near you on your next flight.

Sprouts, local produce store, Costco, Trader Joe's, Safeway and Lucky

I have their brand of ibuprofen (750 tablets) that cost me $6.45. I may take one or two tablets out if it every couple of months...

90% Costco and the other 10% between WM and Albertson's. We joined Costco 8 months ago when I retired. Hopefully, it's saving us money. To busy in retirement to do the analysis.

90% Costco and the other 10% between WM and Albertson's. We joined Costco 8 months ago when I retired. Hopefully, it's saving us money. To busy in retirement to do the analysis.

We save money shopping at Costco if we don't buy too much of the processed food. Our local Costco has a lot of organic, whole foods. But if we just go around loading up the cart with anything and everything that looks interesting we spend too much. We have to go with a list of meat and staples and stick to it.

Our Costco isn't the cheapest on fresh produce. The ethnic and regional ware house stores are much cheaper for fruits and vegs.

We mix it up between Costco, Food Lion, Walmart, Safeway, Weis, Giant, Giant Eagle, Dollar Tree, CVS, and Wegmans, depending on the sales and coupons. DW is a hawk with the circulars and coupons, and in addition has tied in many of our shopping cards with a service that gives us additional coupons/discounts. While nothing like "extreme couponing", at times we've gotten large discounts off of our bill.

Giant Eagle has a nice tie-in with a gas station, where you can get gallon discounts from what you spend. For example, at Christmas we bought all of our gift cards at Giant Eagle, which was enough to earn up a couple of gas fill-ups paying less than a dollar a gallon. :dance:

During the winter months, I do about 80 percent of my shopping at the regional big grocer (Giant Eagle). The rest of my shopping is done at a dollar store near my office, an independent natural foods store, an all-year-round small farm market (not convenient), a nearby Italian store, and Walmart.

In summer, I revel in the many excellent open-air farmer's markets for about 80 percent of my purchases. The only Costco is on the other side of Pittsburgh, otherwise I would join in a heartbeat. I love Whole Foods but the locations are an annoying drive, so I don't get there more than once or twice a year.

For special occasions I visit a nearby farm for grass-fed lamb. I will also trek down to the Strip District (retail and wholesale terminal market district) in Pittsburgh a couple of times a year for things that I can't get elsewhere.

I forgot to mention some ethnic stores I go to. There's a Chinese supermarket in my area which has the best selection of produce at the best prices. It also has the most comprehensive fish counter. There's also an Indian grocery store where I buy a variety of items such as spices, dried beans, and Indian breads. (I've been doing a fair bit of Indian cooking.) It's a 20 minute drive to both so I only go infrequently, since I can walk to a couple of regular supermarket chains and Trader Joe's. There's a latino grocery store I also shop at.

When I'm on the road in the NY/PA area I always shop at Wegmans for my travel meals. This regional market chain has great selections of basically anything you need. Lots of neat stuff you can't find elsewhere.

When I'm on the road in the NY/PA area I always shop at Wegmans for my travel meals. This regional market chain has great selections of basically anything you need. Lots of neat stuff you can't find elsewhere.

I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me! I think the closest one is in State College (where Penn State's main campus is) and that is a couple of hours driving time. The first Wegman's I ever experienced (30 years ago) was in Erie. I have been to the truly wonderful Wegman's in Fairfax VA, too.

Funny, we have Wegman's about a half hour away in two different directions and I've heard rave reviews from friends. Never been though.

We normally grocery shop at Aldi's, Meijers, and Caputo's. We like Caputo's large selection of produce. We have a Walmart close by but don't find the prices much different than Meijer's. We also have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Jewel close by but find the prices quite a bit higher.

Oh, and I remember many years ago sacking groceries and stocking shelves at the local HyVee store where I grew up. We would even carry the groceries out to your car and load them into the truck, and taking tips was not allowed, "A helpful smile in every aisle". I wonder if HyVee still does that.

I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me!

+1, except that we'd be spending way too much on food and weigh twice what we do.:LOL:

I've been to the one in Sterling, VA and it is a sight. Bring your checkbook though.

I would think I had died and gone to heaven if there was a Wegman's near me! I think the closest one is in State College (where Penn State's main campus is) and that is a couple of hours driving time. The first Wegman's I ever experienced (30 years ago) was in Erie. I have been to the truly wonderful Wegman's in Fairfax VA, too.

+1. I grew up in upstate NY (finger lakes) and all grocery shopping was done at Wegman's. When we head back to visit my mom we always make it a point to do two things, stop at Wegman's and hit up some of the wineries :). Nothing around western PA competes.

The things I miss most about Wegman's are the fresh seafood, the smoked fish counter, the gourmet cheeses, the breads, and the beautiful and varied veggies and fruits. Well, and the houseware department, too.

Walt, I hear 'ya! If I lived near one I would have to discipline myself in due time or I would be a bag lady (albeit a very well-fed one).

Within 2 miles of the house we have, Cub Foods, Sam's Club, WalMart, Super Target, Aldi's, Rainbow Foods and Walgreens. We shop them all depending on the coupons in the Sun. paper.

Right now I'm limited to a regional grocery chain. I've been to our Hy-vee, not as large as Imoldernu's. I do like their meats and produce better. Love to try out Aldis and Costco, just can't do it now.

My DW has the store I go to memorized. She puts the list together and it's in the exact order of the products in the isles. She's so good at it, if we don't need anything in a particular isle, somehow she keeps the list in the correct order for the next isle.This helps immensely.

When I did try Walmart, I was so confused(VV). I almost fell down in a refrigerated bin, as I lost balance looking down. Some manager type saw it, came up started asking questions, he thought I was intoxicated. He got a little too pushy asking about why I stumbled. As I explained my condition, he looked at me in total disbelief. I finally told him what he could do with the groceries in my cart, and walked out.

I've spoken to the manager where we shop about my issue. He's offered to have them do the shopping for us. I appreciate the offer, my PT doesn't want me to do that, fearing I'll become housebound.
MRG

A bump to an interesting link... what to buy and not buy at Aldi's

ALDI 101: What To Buy At Aldi | Gimme Some Oven

Thank you, as someone that wants to try Aldis out, gives me an idea what to expect.

I did try our local Hy-vee, as the list was small. I wanted a challenge too. Like the meats, fish, and produce. I had some difficulty finding some things, the staff was great helping me. I know I'm not ready for a big list there yet.

Aldis will take more time to get to. I don't mind the bag yourself policy. Right now looking down is difficult. Actually it's part of my balance therpy. Maybe in a few more weeks.
MRG

Thank you, as someone that wants to try Aldis out, gives me an idea what to expect.

I did try our local Hy-vee, as the list was small. I wanted a challenge too. Like the meats, fish, and produce. I had some difficulty finding some things, the staff was great helping me. I know I'm not ready for a big list there yet.

Aldis will take more time to get to. I don't mind the bag yourself policy. Right now looking down is difficult. Actually it's part of my balance therpy. Maybe in a few more weeks.
MRG

Went to Aldi last week... it is smaller than the local grocery store we used to go when I was a kid.... and that is small by today's standards...

I did not see anything special there... some things might be a bit cheaper, but some more... very small selection though...

It is not for me... no apparent savings, longer distance, almost no selection and you have to pay cash.... what is there to like:confused:

99% of everything I buy for my home comes from Walmart Supercenter including food. It's 1 of 3 grocery stores within a mile of my home and has by far the lowest everyday price. The other places may have specials that are worth while but their everyday prices are way too high.

I find significant savings at Aldi on the many basic foods I eat each week: oatmeal, milk, Greek yogurt, berries, apples, bananas, fresh veggies, spinach and other bagged salad greens, cheese, crackers, eggs, beans, spices, canned tomatoes, etc. Their paper products such as tissues, paper towels, and baggies are also excellent. I pay with a debit card.

Back
Top Bottom