Back Up Camera

Islandtraveler

Recycles dryer sheets
I was thinking about attempting the installation of a Back Up Camera in my 2015 Audi. Audi wants $2,500 to do it. A stereo guy wants $1,100. I can buy the unit for $325.00. I am a little leery about monkeying around with my cars electronics. I looked it up on YouTube and it looks pretty easy. Mostly plug and play stuff. I’m no Bob Villa, but I’m not Homer Simpson either. Anyone have any experience with this endeavor?

I put a new head unit in my 2007 Escape and added a back up camera and it was straight forward. I sold that and wanted to add a similar, trailer rear camera to my 2017 Highlander and found the tricky part was how the head unit triggered to change from the normal display to the rear camera. On the Escape, when the camera was powered, the head unit detected that and gave it priority. On the Highlander, the camera is triggered when it senses it is in reverse gear.

So, if you've followed this so far, you need to understand how to trigger the camera. I ended up just adding an inexpensive dash mounted monitor.

I bought a backup camera set up and had an place that does aftermarket installs do the installing. Works great. My only regret is kinda which I bought a camera set up that also gives me audio feedback when my car is too close to an object instead of just a visual indication.

I don’t have experience with an aftermarket back-up camera, but when my windshield needed replacement, I went with a local company that did it for around $300 vs the dealer price of $1,900. The cheap windshield didn’t have rain sensing for the wipers, which I was ok with, but then after about a year, my rear view mirror fell off. That was unacceptable, so I went to the dealer and forked over the money and life has been good ever since.

If it were me and I was planning to keep the car for another several years, I’d go with the dealer install. Blow that dough!

Noticing the same thing... German car + Bose audio = $$$$

For mine, the whole audio (infotainment) system needs to be replaced there is no plug and play option.

Wiring is exceedingly complex and there's a lot of disassembly and reassembly involved. I'll bet there's a YouTube video you can find for your car. Look for a shop experienced with high end cars, not your local BestBuy.

If your Audi had a backup camera as a factory option, maybe you can find the used components at a junkyard. Installing them should be pretty much plug and play, especially if you have a schematic or electrical troubleshooting manual for the car.

I have a back up camera on my 2016 truck and rarely use it. I guess after using the same back up technique for 45 years habits are hard to break.

I had a 2011 Camry with no back-up camera. Frequent trips with rental cars with back-up cameras made me lust for one on my car. I was just starting to look for an after market camera for my Camry, when my oldest daughter experienced a series of bad events (emergency surgery, hit and run car accident, and more). To help her, I gifted a 2008 Corolla to her. Then I replaced the Corolla by passing my 2011 Camry down to my 18 yo son to drive, and I got a 2018 Camry XLE with a back-up camera and many more safety features. Blow that dough! Anyway, my neck appreciates that very, very much. I especially like the cross traffic alerts.

I don't consider getting a back up camera as blowing that dough at all. I lusted for a camera too after sitting in my brother's Nissan (don't know the model) SUV. His built-in camera system is a lot fancier than my aftermarket which displays on the rear view mirror and video only. Yet, the camera for me is a godsend as without, I have no depth perception of the back of my car's hatch while backing up.

I have a back up camera on my 2016 truck and rarely use it. I guess after using the same back up technique for 45 years habits are hard to break.

A few years ago I had a rental car with a back-up camera. It took two days to realize it was there, as I was always looking back out the window when it came on.:facepalm:

I notice I've gotten so use to the backup camera on our van, that when I hopped in the old car, I'd stare at the dash after putting it in reverse.. :facepalm:

Now I have to think, how to drive each vehicle.:blush:

What? That particular back-up camera cost $30k! :rolleyes:

Did I miss the mention of a $30k backup camera? Was this a "buy a back up camera, the dealer throws in a new car" type of deal? :(.

Back
Top Bottom