Backing Into the Garage Trick

I back into my garage every time. I'm a creature of habit. One of the rules in the chemical plants I've been in is you back into parking spaces so you can exit more expediciously and safely, if the emergency scenario allows cars to crank and leave.

My 2018 Camry has similar back-up guidelines as the Tesla, plus it combines the input from four cameras into an overhead "bird's eye view" around the car. So much easier than the old days.

I'd probably back in if I lived in a chemical plant. :D

Actually, interesting story about an insurance company that I worked at in the late 80s and 90s... a lot of employees backed into parking spaces... a new member of the Board of Directors mused if it was because when they arrived for work in the morning they were preoccupied with leaving at the end of the workday and what that said about the culture of the company. I thought it was in interesting observation.

Interesting. I recently bought a Kia SUV with a backup camera that has the vertical side lines and also 2 horizontal lines that are yellow and red, to indicate the proximity of things directly behind the SUV. The first time I backed up with it I went as far as the camera showing the red line "touching" the object, then got out to check the actual distance. This now gives me a good gauge as to how close I am to something when backing up.

I rarely back in since we have a relatively long driveway which normally has 2 areas of turnaround space. But when multiple visitors are here with cars parked in the turnarounds, or there is lots of snow and I am lazy about shoveling out the turnaround areas, then I'll back in for an easier exit.

I am far too lazy to be bothered backing in, but still drive straight out .

These are available, but not cheap.

Nice system! I'll have to try that sometime. I don't think I have ever backed my truck or car into the garage. So I might have a problem backing in regardless how well the guidance system works.
+1. I'll have to try that, it would be more convenient to back in, and front out of our new garage. Who knows how long it would take me to learn to do it without an aid, so I will try the tape on the floor one side. Thanks.

Two reasons for me to back in:

1. It makes things easier for spatially-challenged DW who has trouble backing out and making a required turn in the driveway. So, unless she drives twice in a row, she doesn't have to back up.

2. It puts the charging port in a better position.

Some tips for the hanging tennis ball trick, which I use with the truck (I have to back that in when I want to lower the kayak into its bed).

4pWvIt2.png

1. Don't have the ball touch the windshield. Have it come to the tip of the sideview mirror. That's more exact and gives you left-right positioning as well.

2. Use balled up aluminum foil instead of a tennis ball.

3. Cut the string and reattach it with masking tape as a quick-release mechanism. That way, when it gets caught on something and rips loose, you won't have to get the ladder out to reattach it to the ceiling.

I'd probably back in if I lived in a chemical plant. :D

Actually, interesting story about an insurance company that I worked at in the late 80s and 90s... a lot of employees backed into parking spaces... a new member of the Board of Directors mused if it was because when they arrived for work in the morning they were preoccupied with leaving at the end of the workday and what that said about the culture of the company. I thought it was in interesting observation.
Everywhere I worked most hourly employees backed in, most salaried employees fronted in. Never knew why?

I always back-in with my daily driver. It has a backup camera and directional guidance lines which work great. It also has auto braking which I have turned off since it "sometimes" would apply the brakes when I'm backing and it shouldn't. Far to sensitive.

I have an orange tennis ball on a string calibrated to hit the windshield when the vehicle is in the right spot.... ony thing is that if the cars are out of the garage then the hanging ball can be a nuisance.
I figured I'd find them a nuisance too, so I installed this on the ceiling of the garage and with each laser pointing to a bump (light meter?) on the dash of each car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7LQBB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Tesla will back into parking spaces by itself. I tried it, and it works, but I can do it faster.

The Tesla will back into parking spaces by itself. I tried it, and it works, but I can do it faster.

My 2014 Mercedes does both parallel parking and backing into spaces. I tried it get it to do this into my garage, but that didn't work.

My ex (employer that is) required us to back into a parking spot if at all possible. Seems that backing accidents were the highest of all others in the company so they had a big push for that. After 20+ years I can't just pull into a parking spot anymore.

Years (decades actually) ago, I used to back our boat about 200 feet into a 1 car garage with only about 4" clearance on either side. I don't think I could do it today.

Today I have the modern version of the tennis ball on a string. It is a laser which is triggered by the garage door opener and shines on the car wherever you can see it. Too bad the cars are parked in the driveway.

I back into parking spots wherever we go. Refinery training! I also back both cars into the garage at night.

Back
Top Bottom