Bacon - a call to arms

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
America is sitting on a mountain of uneaten bacon.

More than 40 million pounds (18,000 metric tons) of pork bellies, the cut used for bacon making, were sitting in refrigerated warehouses as of Sept. 30, according to U.S. government data released Tuesday. That’s the most for the month since 1971.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/america-pile-uneaten-bacon-biggest-220335498.html

I say it is incumbent on each of us to exert every effort to prevent any of this bounty from going to waste. To the barricades! (or the breakfast table)

Yummmm Bacon!

:baconflag::baconflag::baconflag:

Two ounces for every man woman and child in the USA!

Aside from routine breakfast bacon, I really like the various pork belly appetizers that have become so popular in higher end restaurants. Good chefs do some really interesting things with pork belly. But RobbieB, they charge ridiculous prices for two ounces of pork belly :(

Maybe the supply side of supply and demand will kick in and they will become more reasonably priced? One can only hope :baconflag:

I can make the sacrifice!

I do my part, nearly every day.
bacon.png

I bought 10 packages of uncured bacon at the grocery store for 50% off. I think it was just under $4 per pound after the discount. I eat three strips and three eggs each day to help lower the bacon glut.

Love the thick hickory smoked bacon, plus pork belly in the restaurants.

Saw something I'm going to have to try making: Smoked port belly burnt ends.

Harry Soo has a version where he smokes the pork belly, cooks it in butter, then smokes it a little more. Looks so good...

https://youtu.be/mNGTKobpPT4

Attachments

• ProkBellyBurntEnds.jpg
    ProkBellyBurntEnds.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 39
This is the best smelling internet thread I've ever viewed anywhere.

Saw something I'm going to have to try making: Smoked port belly burnt ends.

Harry Soo has a version where he smokes the pork belly, cooks it in butter, then smokes it a little more. Looks so good...

Meat candy!!!

That's a perennial favorite around here. This is the way I do it:
Pork Belly Burnt Ends

I may need to order more bacon jerky! I usually wait until Black Friday, the only time they usually have any type of sale. (Their jerky was featured on "Best Thing I Ever Ate" on The Food Network. I've tried a few, they are all good!)

Wonder why so much is in storage? I am seeing more pork belly on menus in restaurants.

We recently bought a bunch of pork belly at costco. So far have smoked it for slow cooked beans, made burnt ends, and made the best BLT!!!

I avoid bacon for health reasons. For example, at the breakfast buffet on our cruise I only eat oatmeal. While I wait for my English Muffin, I surreptitiously eat one slice of bacon. When the toast is done, I surreptitiously eat another one (or 2). Then as we leave the buffet area I accidentally find another slice or 2 to be eaten. But since I'm eating healthy oatmeal I figure those surreptitious slices don't count, right?

By all means continue your surreptitious snacking, Sir. Bacon is actually the rare wonder food that has negative calories. Something about the curing process causes it to draw fat out of your body as you digest it.

Looks like Chinese tariffs cut export demand. But didn't Chinese companies but a couple large US pork producers a few years ago? Bet that tariff gets cut soon.
Waiting for Supply and Demand to kick in a price cut. But really, $3.7x a lb at Aldi's, I don't think it can go down much.
Doing my part by tossing a slice it two in my seafood dishes.
Wonder why so much is in storage? I am seeing more pork belly on menus in restaurants.

We recently bought a bunch of pork belly at costco. So far have smoked it for slow cooked beans, made burnt ends, and made the best BLT!!!

My SIL gave me a T-shirt that says “I was going to grow my own food, but I could not find bacon seeds”.

I have to say pork belly is pretty dang close to sex for me. We have a store called Uwajimaya. They have cooked pork bellies hanging in the hot case. I'll go in there and order a pound and they chop it up for you. Little delicious morsels. I put it on the passenger seat anticipating eating it at home. Then the smell hits me and I say "just one"as I open up the package. Then it's the pork and the fat and the crunchy cracklin' on the outside. I just cannot have one. So as I get home with my greasy steering wheel I have such a warm feeling in my tummy. A great experience.

Found bacon on sale for $3/lb.

Said to DH, "I bought 12 pounds; I'll freeze most of it; that's about a year's worth of bacon."

DH replied, "That's about 12 servings worth of bacon!"

My latest food crush (serious crush, more like crazed lust) is pork belly in the form of chashu slices floating in my bowl of black garlic tonkatsu ramen. Serious.

I had a bowl yesterday and I'm having another tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom