Baker's Cyst

samcat

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a 2 inch Baker's cyst behind my right knee. Was diagnosed yesterday via an ultrasound. I guess sometimes they are asymptomatic but mine is not. Swelling from my thigh to my calf, etc.

Anyone else had one and had it taken care of? If so, what did you do? What kind of doctor did you see?

Thanks!

I had one quite a few years ago on my knee. Generally they just go away but it takes some time. They can also drain them but not necessary, especially if not painful.

Mine was more on side of knee. It went away over several weeks or months. No ill effects. Mine was a bit larger. Definitely something that looks scary but is rather benign.

I went to my orthopedist. He just looked at it and felt of it

I had one quite a few years ago on my knee. Generally they just go away but it takes some time. They can also drain them but not necessary, especially if not painful.

Mine was more on side of knee. It went away over several weeks or months. No ill effects. Mine was a bit larger. Definitely something that looks scary but is rather benign.

I went to my orthopedist. He just looked at it and felt of it

Thanks! Mine is affecting my walking and while not "painful", my leg is sore. I just got a call that I was referred to sports medicine. I'm going to make a couple calls to find out if sports medicine is okay or if I should see an orthopedist.

If you had an ultrasound, not sure what else anyone would want to do. Sports medicine is probably an ortho practice.

The one I go to is.

Did you injure your knee?

If so that injury (not the cyst) could be the larger issue. I think I had some knee cartilage issue on same knee then. They said could be related or not.

Best of luck with it.

If you had an ultrasound, not sure what else anyone would want to do. Sports medicine is probably an ortho practice.

The one I go to is.

Did you injure your knee?

If so that injury (not the cyst) could be the larger issue. I think I had some knee cartilage issue on same knee then. They said could be related or not.

Best of luck with it.

I have not injured my knee that I know of. Because it is causing swelling and other issues, they may want to drain it or remove it...we'll see! It is affecting my gait so I need to do something. Thanks so much!

DH had a bakers cyst years ago. He went to an orthopedic surgeon and his rheumatologist. They thought it was caused by DH's psoriatic arthritis. The orthopedic surgeon drained it several times but it would come back. It was very large and painful and affected DH's ability to walk. Finally the orthopedic surgeon did surgery to remove it and no trouble since except DH will probably eventually need knee replacement (he has already had the other knee replaced.). But I don't think the need for knee replacement had any thing to do with the cyst. If I remember correctly the surgery was day surgery, DH recovered quickly and was back walking the next day or so and was back playing golf in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I've had one a few times and it went away on its own each time. Did not go to a Dr, so I cannot make a suggestion.

Mine were not very large, were not painful, and only appeared when I ran a lot.

Back
Top Bottom