Bank needs Credit Check to open a savings account??

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am attempting to open savings account with an internet bank that I already have a CD with.

They require me to thaw my frozen credit bureau account to do a credit check on me. The reason is that the savings account is 'more liquid' and I can withdraw the money more easily.

HUH?!?

I put the money in, and withdraw it. What does that have to do with extending credit? I am not asking for coverage of checks written with insufficient funds or something that might cause them to lose money on me.

What am I missing? Or am I?

Probably nothing. Some bank risk officer probably decided this would look good to some regulators. I am curious how the bank answered your questions?

Things are never as simple as they seem they should be.

For one, the banks have to comply with some "know your customer" rules that were implemented after 9/11. This is not discretionary on their part.

And there are a number of fraud schemes that can be used with just a savings account and the bank wants some assurance that you are not one of "those guys".

Nothing personal, just business.

I had the happen once. Instead I opened the account at the bank across the street where there was no such problem.

Pen Fed did a credit check on me before opening CD's last year. This was a new account with Pen Fed. I didn't go across the street because there didn't seem to be any other 3% CD offerings out there.

Every time I cash a check at my bank, even for just a couple hundred bucks, the poor clerk has to type away at her terminal for about 2 minutes (120 seconds) before she can cash it. Wonder what the big deals is.

Pen Fed did a credit check on me before opening CD's last year. This was a new account with Pen Fed. I didn't go across the street because there didn't seem to be any other 3% CD offerings out there.

Same happened with me with Penfed. I only had to unfreeze the credit company they used not all three of them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Every time I cash a check at my bank, even for just a couple hundred bucks, the poor clerk has to type away at her terminal for about 2 minutes (120 seconds) before she can cash it. Wonder what the big deals is.

Well just a guess, but those little micr numbers at the bottom of the check probably are entered. Edit to add they probably are also manually checking a known offender database.

If you've ever been in a "lock box" secured area where they handle many thousands of checks every day, its amazing. Mail comes in on a conveyer, envelope split open, check and stub get separated, by a little puff of air. Checks scanned (micr read and amounts)all in 100th of a second, or less. I never knew paper could move so fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom