Battling the economy to keep our company growing - a plethora of techniques

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well, for those paying attention, Thefeds started an inflatable bounce house business last year on a whim and it performed remarkably well...25k invested, 45k gross over 6 months.

This year, we want to double our gross while keeping margins the same. SO...this is what we've done.

First, I redesigned the website to make it more fluid.

We have a 3 faceted concept for growth - 1)concentrate on getting our satisfied customers to return 2) Up the ticket for each customer we sign, thus maximizing the cost effectiveness of our advertising used to secure that customer 3)Find new customers

1) We sent out a customer appreciation mailing a few weeks ago with codes for discounts and pictures of our products...website traffic jumped pretty good a few days later. We also emailed ALL email addresses that came through on our online quote system (approx 500). We will be sending our customer list a postcard next (to keep costs down) month, for 3 straight months.

2) We added many new products....obstacle course, tents/tables/chairs, cotton candy machine, snow cone machine. Now we just need to 'upsell' these other items. If we are already there for a delivery...it doesnt take much to set up another bouncer or a concession

3) We will continue our very successful online campaign. We are now ranking in the top 3 for almost all keywords in google organic search.

We have also started 3 landing pages that are already ranking well. We bought 3 other domain names and created 'landing pages'....websites that will rank high in google for certain keywords and 'funnel' customers to our main site

We also decided to expand our delivery area a bit to tap into that market. To do this, we created a new company with the new city in its name and domain name.

We have compiled our own mailing list of churches for direct mail (many, many rentals are churches) and addressed them to the youth ministry. We have decided to send 30/week for about 10 weeks...then follow up 2 more times with postcards.

Finally we are going to try direct mail...got a list of 1000 people in a very well-off area...women with kids in the household...list only cost us $50 and we will likely only mail 500 of that list 3 times this spring.

what am I missing?

You may want to consider checking into advertising in grocery stores, schools and daycare with your fliers.

I would suggest maybe trying local mom's clubs newsletters or web sites, ads
in community class schedules, school newsletters, and local parenting magazines.

Check out your local schools/PTA also. I know we have a "Spring Fling" fundraiser at school and we rent inflatables. The teachers also gave kids coupons for reading, good for a free hour or two at the "House of Bounce" as a reward. That seems to be pretty good exposure for bringing in new kids since your variable costs are pretty low.

A plethora? A plethora?

"Jefe: We have many beautiful piñatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!El Guapo: How many piñatas?Jefe: Many piñatas, many!El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?Jefe: A what?El Guapo: A plethora.Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?Jefe: Why, El Guapo?El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me"?

thefed,
Can you turn the inflatables business into a party management company where you offer packages that include those items like snow cones, additional inflatables?
Also you might want to include a questionnaire for your customers with a discount on the next party if they fill it out. This way you might get ideas that you haven't thought about but your customers want and most important, will pay for.
You might also want to try a referral system for current customers that refer your services to their friends.

Check out your local schools/PTA also. I know we have a "Spring Fling" fundraiser at school and we rent inflatables. The teachers also gave kids coupons for reading, good for a free hour or two at the "House of Bounce" as a reward. That seems to be pretty good exposure for bringing in new kids since your variable costs are pretty low.

I forgot to mention that we did so something for schools...its a 'Bounce To End Hunger" program...we've got participants in several states now....the kids bring in non-perishables and it's a contest between classes...if class brings in xx cans they get to bounce during gym clas....class with the most gets a pizza party from us....and we get lots of free advertising...and it's a good cause....everyone wins.... google it for more info and to see if its in your area yet

Our mall had a large store go out and now the space is filled with many bounce type houses with slides. I am not sure what all is in there or how much it costs, but the kids sure seem to be having a good time. My kids are grown, but I can see taking my dear granddaughter when she is older and on this side of the U.S., if it is still there. I think of you everytime I go past the place.

Our mall had a large store go out and now the space is filled with many bounce type houses with slides. I am not sure what all is in there or how much it costs, but the kids sure seem to be having a good time. My kids are grown, but I can see taking my dear granddaughter when she is older and on this side of the U.S., if it is still there. I think of you everytime I go past the place.

yeah we have a few like that around here...our biggest competitor just got a spot in the center of our mall...RIGHT in the middle with a BIG jumper....great advertising....but you'd be shocked how many people say " yeah, we say xxxxxx jumpers at the mall but they were expensive...so we googled and found you" thanks for the advertising xxxxxxxxx jumpers!

Things are starting to pay off!

April is shaping up to be 500% of what last April was....I can only hope we keep up the pace! We dont have the inventory to do 500% of summer sales, but i'll try!!!!!!!111

Back
Top Bottom