become a landlord or more index funds?

My brother has 2 rental homes now, at a total investment of more than $400K.

I am sure people make money in this business, just like anything else. I don't know the rope, and am too lazy to learn it, so I just stay out.

I own five 4-plexes, two duplexes and a SFH. Plus my own home. When they are full, that's over $330K in annual revenue, and only ~$3400 per month in mortgages. Soon to be $2500. ~$1.8M in investment for property worth

I find it difficult to find a properties where the numbers work in my area. I would not be able to purchase a property in my area at the drop of a hat and make a decent return.

When you buy right, you can make money. All were purchased as distressed properties. Most needed a lot of work. One I purchased a mortgage from the bank and continued the foreclosure. One I purchased a contract for deed, and canceled it. I have done many creative things to buy property that most (99%) of realtors do not even understand how to do.

Buying property for 50-80% of value is a huge indicator as to making a bunch of money.

I own five 4-plexes, two duplexes and a SFH. Plus my own home. When they are full, that's over $330K in annual revenue, and only ~$3400 per month in mortgages. Soon to be $2500. ~$1.8M in investment for property worth.
The gross revenue of $330K over $1.8M (current value, not your original cost) is 18%/yr, which is very good. What is your net return after all expenses?

The gross revenue of $330K over $1.8M (current value, not your original cost) is 18%/yr, which is very good. What is your net return after all expenses?

1.8M was my approximate purchase cost of which I still owe $470K. If I figure a 5% of rents for a vacancy rate, and 10% of rents for maintenance, and the rest of the expenses at actual, I can assume ~$165K annual. That is what I project in my spreadsheet. So figure the return on 1.3M. Or about 12%+.

With multifamily properties, one can generally assume a 45% expense ratio. Since I self-manage, I have a bit less in expenses. For 2016, my vacancy rate was 2/300 = 0.006%, only 2 months empty for all 25 units.

With depreciation and other (non-rental) business expenses like auto and office, I only pay taxes on ~$75K. So the $165K actually stretches quite a bit further. I am gaining appreciation too, so that increases my return.

Once I pay off the mortgage that I am focused on, and paying an extra $5K a month, I can add that $5K plus the $960 of P&I I am required to pay to my monthly income. That is an extra $70K+ annually.

I do a few more things to generate a bit of extra income on the side, it's a nice position to be in. That's why I had to quit work. I still have pension, SS and VA disability, 401K and Roth and after tax account.

I decided I was paying too many taxes, and decided I had enough to live on. If I die a multi-millionaire at some point in the distant future, some stripper that has likely not even been born yet is going to be very happy.:cool:

Last edited:
<snip>
but is it worth the headache of becoming a landlord all over again? I wasn't thrilled first time around, so I'd definitely put the properties under management...

For the record I'm 49 and another 2-3 years away from FI.

Perhaps the OP's words say it all... I don't think becoming a landlord is a good thing to slouch or stumble into due to the potential PITA factor and pain of exit.

My folks owned some stuff and I've done my share of w*rk on houses & apartments. As an introvert, I hate the people drama, actually all people drama in general. The manual stuff is sometimes interesting, but it becomes w*rk when I HAVE to do it. I FIRE'd to get away from this stuff.

Actually, I have a deep sense of admiration for my folks and any of you guys who are successful in RE or business. It's just not for me. Man's got to know is limitations...

Back
Top Bottom