Beginning Yoga for back care?

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
As posted in another thread I've had months of pain...serioius pain. After a myriad of treatments following an MRI and nerve measurement I continue to be pain free. I am on Gabapentin, done with PT for now but doing streches at home, done with pain clinic after 3 epidurals, still using TENS unit, regular massage therapy, and occassional chiropractor, and being very careful. As the pain mgt. medical professionals signed me out as on the road and having achieved milestones in pain elimination in both legs and getting the nerves to respond a little more day by day they suggested yoga. Does anyone have any suggestions for a DVD either for beginning yoga or back therapy yoga? THanks for any input. Hope 2013 stays pain free! :)

With yoga you have to be very careful or else you could exacerbate your back pain. Some of the poses are hard on the back. It's best if you find a yoga instructor that has experience with back pain issues - they can guide you to the poses and what to avoid.

I know this because my husband sometimes has back issues and there are certain poses that cause problems for him.

Yoga might help, but if this article is correct men need to be careful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/sunday-review/the-perils-of-yoga-for-men.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
So it pays to listen carefully when guys start talking about intolerable pain and upended lives. Doing so led me to an unexpected finding that I have confirmed in a trove of federal data. It suggests that yoga can be remarkably dangerous — for men.

Guys who bend, stretch and contort their bodies are relatively few in number, perhaps one in five out of an estimated 20 million practitioners in the United States and 250 million around the globe. But proportionally, they are reporting damage more frequently than women, and their doctors are diagnosing more serious injuries — strokes and fractures, dead nerves and shattered backs. In comparison, women tell mainly of minor upsets.

What you want is this 2 DVD set of yoga exercises that were developed for the National Institute of Health and have been proven to be extremely effective at both alleviating pain and preventing it (there are routines for strengthening when you're asymtopmatic as well as relief when you're hurting). The routines are only 20-30 min. each and are gentle, and there are separate lecture modules that explain the anatomy and physiology. You do have to do the routines consistently to benefit.

http://www.viniyoga.com/learn-experience/viniyoga-teachers-and-yoga-therapists

I would avoid "garden variety" yoga classes like the plague - especially the more aggressive workout oriented forms.

Yoga exacerbated my stiff neck/shoulder pain.

I have suffered from back pain for the past 35 years. I've gone through surgeries, epidurals and radio frequency nerve ablations. I also had a Neurostimulator implanted 2 1/2 years ago. That said I have been able to markedly reduce my pain by following a 21 exercise program that can be found in a book by Dr Norman Marcus. His book "End Back Pain Forever" can be purchased from Amazon. I would be very cautious with yoga. Perhaps after you master the 21 exercises in Marcus' book you could consider yoga.

Perhaps a physical therapist could put together a safe routine for you. Yoga may be as likely to stress your back as to heal it.

SIS

Yoga is great for back pain as long as you start slow and don't over do it. Best to find a teacher nearby rather than a DVD when you're starting out, as a good teacher will correct any mistakes you're making and will give you alternatives if something is too painful.

Relatedly, I had back pain for 2 years - did several months of physical therapy, many doctors visits, massage, MRI, you name it. Everything from a dull throb to stabbing pain that brought me to my knees every time I coughed or sneezed. Then a friend recommended Dr. Sarno's book on healing back pain. Read it once over a few days, and my pain disappeared in less than a week. It sounds crazy, I know, but it worked for me when nothing else did. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

I use Sara Ivanhoe's Candlelight Crunch DVD and like it. It's geared for people of different levels, she understands not everyone can twist themselves into knots and takes the time to explain how far those with limitations should go. I didn't have back pain so don't know if it will help but it definitely helped with my flexibility.

I am a certified yoga instructor and I've had back pain issues in the past. Certain yoga poses help while others exacerbate the condition. I would strongly recommend the Gary Kraftsow yoga DVDs which was designed specifically for alleviating back pain.

I hope you will live a painfree life soon. Best of luck!

Happy New Year

There are good yoga teachers out there as well as a lot of bad ones. I second the suggestion to find one who is experienced with teaching students with pain issues. A good teacher will be happy to talk with you before you attend a class and let you observe as well. Or you could participate minimally on your first visit. You might Google "<your city name> yoga teacher directory" - there is one for our city that provides a list with phone numbers and a brief description. For example, my teacher indicates that she specializes in "beginners and those with chronic conditions" which would be the kind of teacher you would look for.

A DVD I think would be good to guide you on days you don't have class with a teacher.

Hope all of this info has been helpful and that you are able to get and stay pain-free.

I'd recommend you find a certified yoga teacher and take a class, instead of just watching a DVD. With yoga, you need to make sure you are doing the poses correctly. Then after you know you are doing the poses correctly, you can get a DVD.

I'd recommend you find a certified yoga teacher and take a class, instead of just watching a DVD. With yoga, you need to make sure you are doing the poses correctly. Then after you know you are doing the poses correctly, you can get a DVD.

The Gary Kraftsow DVDs mentioned show how to do the (quite simple) poses far better than you will learn them in any guided class. "Certification" of yoga teachers guarantees nothing, unfortunately: you need either a tool like this or access to an experienced yoga teacher or PT who has studied therapeutic rather than "workout" yoga forms (e.g. Bikram, Power Yoga) and with extensive training in anatomy and physiology. They do exist, but these NIH-endorsed DVDs are a lot easier to find and invaluable for home practice.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions....still working through matters but continuing to be pain free! :D

Back
Top Bottom