Ben Stein Joins ER Ranks

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Ben Stein fired by New York Times

ben_stein.jpg

The Raw Story » Ben Stein fired by New York Times

Maybe the NYT is following the "Ameican Idol" judge's saga and decided to let Ben go before they hired Kiyosaki.

Hunh. Come to think of it, maybe NYT is following AI really closely and noticed that Paula Abdul has lots of free time on her hands...

The guy with the annoying voice who led a crusade against evolution has lost his job with the Grey Lady after taking a job advertising for a financial services company.

OP, do you know what his user name here is? Just kidding, but if so, look for :spam: to come.

All I can think about when I see him is that huge bloodshot eyeball.

OP, do you know what his user name here is? Just kidding, but if so, look for :spam: to come.
I can't remember when or who, but one of Stein's former dates ("girlfriend" seems to be too strong a word) has posted here about his desperate inferiority complex around wealth & relationships. I'm almost positive the post was from the Dory days but I can't remember if she used the words "Ben" or "Stein".

I can't remember when or who, but one of Stein's former dates ("girlfriend" seems to be too strong a word) has posted here about his desperate inferiority complex around wealth & relationships. I'm almost positive the post was from the Dory days but I can't remember if she used the words "Ben" or "Stein".

I remember the posts and she used both Ben & Stein and no love was lost on him by her .

I have to admit I know who he is, but never listened to or paid any other type of attention to him. I do recall a show called "Ben Stein's Money" on cable, somewhere in the distant past. :whistle:
I read some of the comments posted at the article linked. This guy obviously failed the "How to Make Friends 101" course a long time ago.

Tiki sounds like a very classy woman.

I think Ben Stein is hilarious too. I remember reading his articles in Barron's more than 30 years ago. My real compliment to him is that he is not boring. As to whether his advice is good or not, how would we know?

We're the people who think Bogle is a genius, even though following his advice has led many of us to at best a decade of stagnation.

Maybe all the condemnation of Ben is actually evidence that he is clever? Maybe ER.org is just one big contrary indicator:confused:

Ha

A few years and many thousands of DOW points ago when my oldest sister and hubby were considering retiring in a "couple of years". I went shopping for a booking on retirement planning for them.

After spending an entire afternoon in Barnes & Noble and reading/skimming every retirement book on the shelf, I ended up getting Ben Stein's retirement book.

It was well written and while I disagreed with some of the suggestions, I didn't see anything that was obviously wrong.

I notice that criticisms Ben Stein always mention his affiliation with FOX, and are very short on specifics. I don't think I am going to far out in the limb to suggest that if Ben was a regular on MSNBC instead of FOX, we would be hearing from a different set of critics.

I also wonder why Ben Stein commercial work is worthy of firing by the NY Times, while Paul Krugman's work with Enron is not.

I notice that criticisms Ben Stein always mention his affiliation with FOX, and are very short on specifics. I don't think I am going to far out in the limb to suggest that if Ben was a regular on MSNBC instead of FOX, we would be hearing from a different set of critics.

I'll take that bait. I think Ben Stein is something of an idiot because I read his NYT colums, and he says really stupid things. I don't own a television, so I had no idea he has ever appeared on Fox, and I could care less whether he was on Fox or NBC or any other channel.

There is a lot of criticism of the guy in the financial (new) media, and virtually none of it is partisan.

I thought his retirement book was about on par with the other mass market books. Didn't know about the politics. NYT hires Republican writers? That is news to me!

I thought his writing was witty, like Ha said, and agree that there aren't any investing gurus I'd follow across the battlefield, Bogle included.

Back
Top Bottom