Besides here in the US, what place in the world will you retire?

Why not combine your desire to live overseas/Real estate investment/Asian women by investing overseas in a Asian economy that offers good Investment potential.

Cost of land in Lima quadrupled over past 5 years, study finds

I retired at 33 with similar interests (albeit Latinas) and have been very happy with my decision to leave the USA for greener pastures. When the "bloom is off this Rose" I can pick up and go to the next "upcoming " place.

Charley,

Be careful looking for an Asian wife too!! We have this feeling that they are all subservient to their husbands, ever loyal etc, not materialistic etc, wait till they become Americanized! Haha!

Forget about Sweden, unless you speak fluent Swede. Been there. Even if you do, those people don't want you there. They are the most narrow minded people you will ever meet.

:D :D From a grand daughter of a Norwegian.

I think choosing only one place to live is like choosing one food to eat forever. It's a fun game but not real life, and if it were, would be boring as heck. If you're "set" as you say, why choose at all? Find a place convenient to a large int'l airport, such as JFK, LAX, SFO or and travel. That way you get to see lots of different places. Live in a small condo, easy to shut down for long periods, and then take long trips.

Two dogs, one cat, 38 gallon aquarium.

I'm thinking. I'm thinking. KCI.

heh heh heh - good house sitter - but at about two weeks the Pug starts pissing on the floor and chewing furniture - the little turd. The pack leader thing only goes so far. :cool:

You're right. For now, the reasons that I see that will make me want to move away when I get old is maybe political and economic instability, low-quality of living (e.g. too much crime, racial and gender discrimination), and environmental issues. That's all I can think of as of the moment.
Wait a minute.

Political and economic instability?
Too much crime?
Racial and gender discrimination?
Environmental issues move you?
And you want to move to another country?
You obviously have been eating the lotus, typical of the young in the USA.
Come back in 20 years and we will be able to talk.

I retired at 33 with similar interests (albeit Latinas) and have been very happy with my decision to leave the USA for greener pastures. When the "bloom is off this Rose" I can pick up and go to the next "upcoming " place.
What are your options when "the bloom is off this Rose"? Doesn't a Peruvian family make this more complicated?

I feel pretty confident that "dual passports" for my Son and myself and a strong
Visa history for my wife will get us to the "next place", if/when the time comes. Peru being the "it" spot for so many things right now, I have to believe
we are only in the 5th inning and plan to ride this wave awhile longer.

I have very high interest in Venezuela/Argentina/Uruguay/Chile if conditions were to change and hopefully the recently announced CELAC will move them in a positive direction.

I think it is obvious to some that the next "opportunity" for low inflation,appreciating land prices and high cd/bond interest,will not be coming from a developed economy unless a major meltdown were to occur.

And then there is always divorce and "arranged" marriages in the new country if there is a problem.:dance:

I feel pretty confident that "dual passports" for my Son and myself and a strong
Visa history for my wife will get us to the "next place", if/when the time comes. Peru being the "it" spot for so many things right now, I have to believe
Your DW is that willing to give up her family? That's not typical in Peru or elsewhere in LA.
I have very high interest in Venezuela/Argentina/Uruguay/Chile if conditions were to change and hopefully the recently announced CELAC will move them in a positive direction.

I think it is obvious to some that the next "opportunity" for low inflation,appreciating land prices and high cd/bond interest,will not be coming from a developed economy unless a major meltdown were to occur.
CELAC - don't hold your breath. Chile and Peru tend to move with the same economic trends, so one is not a safe haven for the other. Uruguay is pretty small and everybody knows everybody else. Argentina you may find a bit unstable, and they have this tendency to stick it to bondholders. Venezuela - now that's a place I suspect you would find to your liking, and you might find a good fit there.

And then there is always divorce and "arranged" marriages in the new country if there is a problem.:dance:
Yeah, that kind of says it all, doesn't it. If that's the only way you can get by, there's not much else to say. Sorry I brought it up.

If money was not a problem then I would'nt limit myself to one place but rather enjoy what a few countries have to offer. I figure at least a couple of years before moving on unless I was enjoying it enough to extend another year. Maybe start in New Zealand. Based on a short visit a few years ago touring the South Island I sure did enjoy morning and afternoon tea times and an early evening pint at the pub.

Cheers!

...Peru being the "it" spot for so many things right now, I have to believe

Interesting. I have similar interests. Your observations form the field are most welcome.

If money was not a problem then I would'nt limit myself to one place but rather enjoy what a few countries have to offer. I figure at least a couple of years before moving on unless I was enjoying it enough to extend another year. Maybe start in New Zealand. Based on a short visit a few years ago touring the South Island I sure did enjoy morning and afternoon tea times and an early evening pint at the pub.

Cheers!

+1

If I had the money, I'd maintain my main residence in Hong Kong (low taxes, convenient location etc) and spend several months each year in places like New Zealand, Australia, Thailand etc. Unfortunatley, unless I want to fall victim to "one more decade" syndrom or put the kids up for adoption, I'll be a bit more limited than that.

New Orleans.

But you will have to take lessions locally so you can learnt ta talk rite and live to eat.

heh heh heh - be prepared for a period of cultural shock when you first arrive. :dance:

They keep trying to make it part of the US. ;). I shall return once the snow hits Kansas City.

First step is to aks (yes, aks) questions about what dat ting cahh'd da neutral ground is. Don't fahget, "Who Dat?"

I think choosing only one place to live is like choosing one food to eat forever. It's a fun game but not real life, and if it were, would be boring as heck. If you're "set" as you say, why choose at all? Find a place convenient to a large int'l airport, such as JFK, LAX, SFO or and travel. That way you get to see lots of different places. Live in a small condo, easy to shut down for long periods, and then take long trips.
+1.

The US is a large place and any type of living environment you may want (at the present moment) is available.

The differences from other countries are the "social issues" (which I won't get into, but working in France/Sweden for many years does give me a background in some areas).

DW/me choose to live (and retire - as I am, DW to follow shortly) here. However, we travel several times a year to other places in the world and have done so for the last two decades.

The US may not be perfect; but we have found that most places we have traveled to (and I have worked in) are not perfect, either.

Just my simple POV...

Many countries, even desirable ones, have an investor's visa that allows you to stay and live in a country if you put up a big cash bond or buy a business and employ five nationals. If you have money, many doors are open.

In Peru an investors Visa requires ($25000.00) investment.

For this forum most people would be looking at a retirement visa and they are fairly cheap. For example in Peru it requires SSI or pension income of $1,000.00 per month plus $500.00 for each additional dependent. For ER types, it is a $50,000.00 renewable deposit (in your home bank) along with a bank guarantee that $1,000.00 a month will be transferred into a Peruvian institution.

In Cuenca, Ecuador (popular retirement spot) I believe it is only $800.00 a month (?).

Colombia (#1 single male retirees hot spot) I believe it is 150% of the average Colombian wage.

Many of my expat friends (Live in Lima) but work around the world. Peru will give you a 183 day tourist visa and guys that work in the oil industry/private security typically work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off and have based themselves here for 20 years (as tourists). Tourists can own their apartments here and if they spend less than 6 mos (in country) are not tax residents.

I should mention that if you are a qualified retiree, Peru (which taxes worldwide income) does not tax interest/dividends/capital gains/pensions/SSI from foreign sources.

Last edited:
For me, the Bahamas, no question about it. To do it the way I want would be expensive, besides having a nice comfortable beach front house, I want to have enough to have a 2+ bedroom guest house on the property, plus enough free cash flow to fl in and pickup the expenses for whomever I wanted - mostly thinking about my 4 kids and their future spouses and future children.

Health care on the lesser populated islands is definitely a big issues - especially emergency care.

Last edited:
Unclemick, I'm finishing up a TDY assignment in N.O. and can't wait to leave. To each his own! All I see here is crime, decay, and the worst drivers on the planet. Nothing here much appeals to me. However, getting back to the original question, I'd head back to Japan in a heartbeat if money was no object. It is the most civilized place I have ever had the pleasure of living. I love the culture, the Japanese people, and the scenery. There's nothing like a hot bowl of ramen in the winter, daytrip to Lake Ashi (Mt. Fuji) in the summer. Things just "work" in Japan, and you don't have to "watch your back" all of the time. Definitely Japan!

I should mention that if you are a qualified retiree, Peru (which taxes worldwide income) does not tax interest/dividends/capital gains/pensions/SSI from foreign sources.

But you can't get away from the IRS as they will still tax those and any interest and capital gains you have in Peru.

Have you had any issues with Peruvian accounts and the new IRS FATCA law? I'm interested in this as I'll have foreign accounts some time in the future.

There are not enough years in life for me to spend time in every place I'd like to live.

Unclemick, I'm finishing up a TDY assignment in N.O. and can't wait to leave. To each his own! All I see here is crime, decay, and the worst drivers on the planet.

Crime? Well, O.K. It's abominable.

Decay? Well, sadly, it's a fact and even moreso after the hurricane.

But the worst drivers on the planet? No way!!! Have you ever driven in Houston? :D Houston's a great place and all, but they drive like hopped up maniacs on those Houston freeways. Stick your foot in it, and scream like a banshee as your hurtle on and weave in and out through Houston traffic. Here, the streets have too many potholes and are too rough to drive like that.

As a friend told me a couple of years ago, Louisiana is an acquired taste. You can't really just jump in. The typical tourist may get a taste, but it is impossible to experience the cultural differences unless you live here for a long time. The culture here is very different than the rest of the country. I have no problem saying that New Orleanians are some of the most friendly and warm people in the country, and I have lived in several states. The people here have a zest for life that you just don't find in Kansas City (or just about anywhere else)! No plans to retire here, but I sure have enjoyed the past couple of years since I arrived.

As a friend told me a couple of years ago, Louisiana is an acquired taste. You can't really just jump in. The typical tourist may get a taste, but it is impossible to experience the cultural differences unless you live here for a long time. The culture here is very different than the rest of the country. I have no problem saying that New Orleanians are some of the most friendly and warm people in the country, and I have lived in several states. The people here have a zest for life that you just don't find in Kansas City (or just about anywhere else)! No plans to retire here, but I sure have enjoyed the past couple of years since I arrived.

I love living here, though I don't like the crime and the spectre of Katrina II maybe happening someday. I guess I "jumped right in" back in '96, but I had a job here and made friends quickly so it was full immersion right from the start. Plus I adapt easily. I agree that tourists and visitors really can't see New Orleans in the same way as those of us who actually live here, day in and day out. They don't know that we actually work (or worked), do laundry, shop, and do things other than getting stinking drunk on Bourbon St. every night.

Back
Top Bottom