Best Battery Tire Inflator for Car?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's getting harder and harder to find an air pump, let alone a free one, at gas stations. I want to buy a battery-operated tire inflator that I can take in the car, but there are so many out there that it's hard to choose.

Does anyone own a rechargeable battery-powered tire inflator that they like and would recommend?

Thanks,

Amethyst

DeWalt has a battery powered air pump that is very good. It is also very pricey and the battery is not included in the base model. I would only suggest it if you already have another DeWalt power tool with the battery.

Edit to add - does your car have a cigarette lighter? There are tire inflator options that are powered by plugging into the lighter socket.

Last edited:
I have a plug in compressor but now I mostly use the inflator at Costco. Battery powered compressor is too slow IMO, probably for emergency only.

You may want to consider an electric air pump intended for bicycles. I have one at home that I use because I'm too lazy to use a manual floor pump, and because a lot of manual pumping hurts my back. The model I have is about the size of a small boom box, probably too large to carry around all the time. There are probably smaller versions available.

Caution: Bike tires have two common types of valves. Be sure to look at pumps that can support the Schrader valve type, which is the same as what most car tires use.

I don't own any DeWalt products, and the car has a 12-volt socket.

DeWalt has a battery powered air pump that is very good. It is also very pricey and the battery is not included in the base model. I would only suggest it if you already have another DeWalt power tool with the battery.

Edit to add - does your car have a cigarette lighter? There are tire inflator options that are powered by plugging into the lighter socket.

Why battery powered? A cheap pump like Slime brand that plugs into a 12v outlet will never have a dead battery when you most need it. And it'll be a fraction of the cost.

If you're determined to have battery powered I'd suggest buying one that uses the same batteries as your drill and other power tools. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee battery tools so I bought one of their inflators to carry in my RV. I keep cheap Slime pumps in my cars but the cords aren't long enough for an RV so I use the battery inflator.

Why battery powered? A cheap pump like Slime brand that plugs into a 12v outlet will never have a dead battery when you most need it. And it'll be a fraction of the cost.

If you're determined to have battery powered I'd suggest buying one that uses the same batteries as your drill and other power tools. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee battery tools so I bought one of their inflators to carry in my RV. I keep cheap Slime pumps in my cars but the cords aren't long enough for an RV so I use the battery inflator.

That is a good point. I have used a Slime branded 12VDC tire inflator, and it worked fine.

If you don't mind manually pumping, here is another option. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackburn-Air-Tower-3-Bicycle-Floor-Pump-with-Mid-Gauge/824830926?athbdg=L1600&from=/search

I have carried one of the little 12V compressors in my car for many years. They are slow, but definitely work. I've used it on my neighbor's cars as well. Get one with a long cord. Amazon, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or your local auto parts store.

I have carried one of the little 12V compressors in my car for many years. They are slow, but definitely work. I've used it on my neighbor's cars as well. Get one with a long cord. Amazon, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or your local auto parts store.

Same here. They are cheap. They are slow yes, but they do work.

Word of caution, if you have a slow leak that needs to be refilled frequently (until you can get it fixed/replaced) make sure you run the engine so you don't run down the car battery.

Ask me how I know:facepalm:

I picked up a Milwaukee M18 inflator. Love it. Fast, convenient and relatively quiet. Dial in a set pressure and it shuts off automatically. As a test, I deflated a spare tire assembly (245/40-17) and it took just over a minute and a half to go from zero to 30 psi. Not the cheapest option, but worth it, IMO, especially after adding a push-on quick connect fitting.

Just did a little research and came up with this.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Infl...2BKXW/dp/B09XH2BKXW/ref=dp_ob_title_auto?th=1

I like that it has AC and DC power options. I probably would take the option without the battery unless I was planning to take it to the beach or camping to inflate a toy or mattress.

If I just wanted something to replace the no longer available gas station air pumps, I’d get a better compressor and set up a small air filling station in my garage so I could check and adjust my tires as needed.

So, the 12V inflators sound a bit too slow for me. I want something that will do the job pretty quickly.

Like many of the others reporting, I have a smallish 12V inflator that plugs into the lighter port. It's a bit slow but works fine. I have seen small, rechargeable units that sound good, but I worry that it would find it dead just when I needed it. That happened with a jump starter I had for years.

I noted CardsFan's caution and will watch for potential low car battery situations. I can imagine the instant transition from "good to go," to "oh sh**" when the starter solenoid just clicked.

When I was on Amazon looking for a jump starter battery pack for the boat, I found a few with built-in air pumps. I kind of like the idea, and I think if I buy another for the car, that's what I'll do.

Yes, those 12V pumps are very slow. I fixed a flat alongside the road once and it seemed like an eternity to fill the tire back up. By all means, leave the engine running if you need to use one.

Another thing to look at might be those large piston pumps they sell for blowing up inflatable paddle boards and such. They move a lot of air with each stroke. I bet you'd have a tire back up to pressure in no time.

I've got one in each vehicle but have never used them. If I have a low tire, I fill it at home with a 110Vac powered air pump, which work great and are fast. I've got cheap ones and more expense ones, they all work well. Brand doesn't seem to matter much if they are 110Vac powered, IMO. Heck it's one of the few things I may even buy from Harbor Freight and I'm no fan of Harbor Freight!

Also, I've never had much luck with the "fix-a-flat" can type solutions while on the road "unless" I have just plug the tire with a repair kit and I want to get some pressure in the tire to "limp" home. I suppose a small 12v portable air pump would work in that scenario too.

Last edited:
I do not know if it is the "best", but I bought this one in June and I am happy with it so far:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7B7G252

I can set it to a desired PSI number, start it, and when it reaches the level it shut offs automatically. I have used it with both auto tires and bicycle tires, no issues.

It also acts as a power bank and flashlight. It can be recharged either via the car 12V port or anything you can connect to its USB input port.

It fits into the car glove compartment easily, and it lightweight (about 26 ounces). I find it convenient not just for the car, but also having it handy during biking trips.

There are also manual foot pumps if arms are not strong. Most are inexpensive and about the size of an electric pump so it can be kept in the trunk.

Cheers!

Any air inflator running off 12 volts is going to be slow. That's the way they are designed - to not pull too much current at once from the car's battery. That keeps the car's 12 Volt plug wiring cool and doesn't pop a fuse

Last edited:
It's getting harder and harder to find an air pump, let alone a free one, at gas stations. I want to buy a battery-operated tire inflator that I can take in the car, but there are so many out there that it's hard to choose.

Does anyone own a rechargeable battery-powered tire inflator that they like and would recommend?

Thanks,

Amethyst

I have a Ryobi tire inflator that uses the same battery as my cordless drill, leaf blower and other cordless tools. I have to say that it is one of the best tools that I own.

Back
Top Bottom