Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks slater and car-guy. The calculator provided works just fine. Now I’m adding up all my earned interest to see just how rich I’ll be. In 3 years ?

Purchased a Schwab 2 year non-callable at 5.05% this AM. I have another $100k maturing in the next couple of days and am hoping that 2+ year at 5+%, non-call, are still available.

Last edited:
^^^^^
Crazy market... I "think" you should be able to get 12 to 18 mo CD's at or above 5% the rest of this week but with the inverted yield curve holding, terms beyond 18mos @5% may be hard to find. I hope not since I have some maturing CD's "tomorrow" and want to re-buy too.

Last edited:
My bank MM account is now yielding 5.03%. CFG bank. Of course, that is likely the peak.

......and the only thing left is a vapor trail; a lot of the 5% issues disappeared. Particularly those of 2+ year duration, non-call. All of Schwab's went "poof". All I see on TDA is 18-21 month at 5%.

There's still a 3 year non-callable 5% CD at Vanguard.

Customers Bank Conditional Puts - Death Of Holder, FDIC#34444
03/31/2026

VMFXX Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund 7 day SEC yield is 4.72%, IIRC it was 4.65% yesterday. Better than some Treasuries.

Last edited:
Did a partial rollover from 401k to traditional IRA to up the return from stable value fund yielding 1.9 to non- callable 4.75 CD

Those 401k stable value funds used to be good fixed income performers. Not so much anymore I guess.

I was just on Vanguard moving a 6 month treasury that matured today. Bought a 6 month 5% CD instead.

Checked VMFXX at 4.85% 7 day yield.

VMFXX Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund 7 day SEC yield is 4.72%, IIRC it was 4.65% yesterday. Better than some Treasuries.
VMFXX could be anything next week. You can't lock in that rate. That's why someone might buy treasuries at a lower rate, to lock it in. That's a good move if rates drop, a bad one if they don't.

Those 401k stable value funds used to be good fixed income performers. Not so much anymore I guess.
Got a question about that. I think the income may still be there, but it is the VALUE/PRICE PER SHARE that has dropped due to the heavy bond exposure. Am I thinking right?

I used mine as an alternative to bond funds, and it performed well. Better than that, because it didn't get trounced when the interest rates went up... just kept paying the sameish. Now, yes, you can beat it's rate with individual bonds or CDs. Can't buy those in the 401k, though, so I'll have to live with a point or two less for a while.

There are far fewer CD's available today at Schwab than in the past few weeks/months. IIRC, the numbers were cut about 50% yesterday. Yields of those CD's that are still available have dropped a little but not a lot. I thought they may reload last night but that didn't happen.

So let's see, a lot of banks have been selling CD's at higher rates for almost a year now, and the number of bank loans seem to be going down (due to higher loan rates). Wonder if banks have all the cash they need for now, so maybe they don't need to offer so many CD's, at this time?

Just me thinking out loud.

Last edited:

They are great during the periods where Fed Funds rates are very low, generally beating out MM funds and savings accounts. And we’ve been through a lot of those periods this century.

I had to settle for an 18 month @ 5% this morning (Morgan Stanley). Was hoping for a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom