Best Christmas Songs

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Trying to get the tunes of http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/tis-the-season-worst-christmas-song-84293.html out of my mind, what are your favorites?

Nat King Cole "The Christmas Song" is always worth listening to.

I enjoy the whole "Charlie Brown Christmas Show" soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi. I always liked the cartoon special, and realize it was the music that really made it great. https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Remastered-Expanded/dp/B009GQ2NCC

I like Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra but get tired of both after awhile. TSO's "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo)" never gets old though. I like just about any version of "Carol of the Bells" and this one really does it up.

Seems like anytime anyone well-known does a Christmas song, they try to put their own stamp on it, and it usually ruins it for me. If you're like me, check out Martina McBride's "White Christmas" album. She's got a nice voice and sings them pretty straight. https://www.amazon.com/White-Christmas-Martina-McBride/dp/B00143QD62/

If you don't like traditional Christmas music but like alt rock, check out Bad Religion's "Christmas Songs". https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Songs-Bad-Religion/dp/B00FW5PI0U

Seems like most "new" Christmas songs don't work very well either. A couple I do like are "Here it is Christmas Time" by the Old 97s
and Rosie Thomas "Why Can't it Be Christmastime All Year

"Silver Bells" is another traditional favorite but I'm having trouble finding a really good vocal version on mp3. Closest I've come is by Andy Williams. I don't think it's quite right as a solo though. Anyone found a better version?

What do you like?

Last edited:
Fairytale of New York, by The Pogues.. without question.. :)

and if you start one about Christmas movies, my answer will be that Xmas classic: Die Hard. :greetings10:

John Fahey made several albums of Christmas music, just his solo guitar. That's my top choice every year at this time. Well, starting in another couple of weeks, actually.

Ave Maria - both versions (Schubert and Bach) performed by Kathleen Battle on the album "A Christmas Celebration." Sends shivers down my spine...

Years ago my Dad bought an album of Christmas Music by the Robert Shaw Chorale called "Joy to the World". It was all the classic Christian songs- no Jingle Bells, Little Drummer Boy or Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Many were translations of old European carols. I loved that album and still gravitate towards the old carols.

ETA- and even though many ballet companies are probably sick and tired of it (but have to do it because it's a big revenue source), I LOVE The Nutcracker.

I'm kind of a sucker for a capella: I love this version of O Holy Night by HomeFree

White Christmas - Bing Crosby

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

God rest ye merry, gentlemen, for the lyrics and the music. I love this song.

I like Sleighride the first time I hear it every season.

My guilty pleasure is I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus.

God rest ye merry, gentlemen, for the lyrics and the music. I love this song.

Ah, yes.
God bless you, Jerry Mendelbaum
Let nothing you dismay
This May you had a rotten month
So what is there to say
Let's hope next May is better
And good things will come your way
And you won't have a feeling of dismay
Next May

I was a huge fan of Allen Sherman.

"Grandma got run over by a reindeer" is a favorito for my 11 year old and I. On Christmas Eve we always go to my non English speaking MIL's house and I hum it as we walk in the door. My Wife's face turns red (which is particularly hard for a Peruvian) and My Son and I have a good laugh.

Ah, yes.

I was a huge fan of Allen Sherman.

:) Not Allen Sherman but Walt Kelly did some nice work on carols in Pogo, my favorite being Deck us all with Boston Charlie, first verse as follows:

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., an' Kalamazoo!
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!

Be sure to listen with headphones or stereo speakers that can truly manage low range frequencies. Ear buds don't seem very effective

Glee Cast: Lea Michele just nails it!

I'm kind of a sucker for a capella: I love this version of O Holy Night by HomeFree

I like acapella groups also.

One of my favorites right now is Pentatonix. Their carol of the bells and Mary don't you weep are awesome.

Johnny Mathis's winter wonderland is a favorite from childhood.

"Grandma got run over by a reindeer" is a favorito for my 11 year old and I. On Christmas Eve we always go to my non English speaking MIL's house and I hum it as we walk in the door. My Wife's face turns red (which is particularly hard for a Peruvian) and My Son and I have a good laugh.

I saw the great Elmo and Patsy perform this live once.

Not to brag.

The C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S Song sung by Perry Como is one of mine. I used to have this LP and played it on an old beat up blue and white record player that I kept under my bed as a child. I played it so many times that the record skipped and I knew the song so well that I knew where the skips were. The original album had Perry Como and his back up singers talking on it. Reminds me of the magic of Christmas as a child.

"And so this is Christmas" by John Lennon, I loved it when it came out and I still do. Oops, I believe the title on the 45 was Merry X-mas.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas from the Family by Robert Earl Keen

"I like Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra but get tired of both after awhile. TSO's "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo)" never gets old though. I like just about any version of "Carol of the Bells" and this one really does it up."

The TSO Christmas concerts have been some of the best I have ever seen. A great mix of clasical and modern (well if you count the 70's as modern).

Lots of favorites but here's one I look forward to hearing every Christmas season -

All I want for Christmas is You by Vince Vance and the Valiants

Back
Top Bottom