Best city for weather in a tax free state?

We've lived in Hawaii, California (all over), North Carolina, Boston, Oregon, and Colorado. My favorite weather is Windsor, California. It's in Sonoma County--wine country. All of my favorite places for weather are in California and are mostly on the coast, which is crazy expensive. Oregon is also nice, but the gloom got to me. North Carolina is too hot and humid in the summer. Colorado too dry. Hawaii too hot for me.

What I don't like about Windsor is the cost of housing. Houses start at about $250K these days (condos about $100K less). What I liked about the weather there is that there is some change in seasons and none are extreme. We only needed to use the air conditioner a handful of days during the summer and it always cooled off at night. There's enough rain, but not a lot of gloomy days. The nearby vineyards are beautiful and there's enough to do in the area (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and you're close enough to San Francisco to drive down and spend the day.

I don't know why, that is the data from City-data.com. It is what it is. However, for weather, you notice the average high to be about 92 at times. That does not mean there are not some 100+ days!

Long time lurker here...I created the account to "just" post in this thread because I think I can be a "little" help.

I lived in Spokane for 4 years, and have lived my whole life within 80 miles of Spokane (I'm 26).

The winters in eastern washington (and spokane) varies a lot. Last winter I only had to shovel snow once. 2 winters ago I had to shovel almost every week for 3 months str8, and there was so much snow that the city didn't even plow "non main roads"....meaning if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't go anywhere (they even closed the main/big mall of the city). And barely any sidewalks were even touched by the citizens.

In the summer, it gets up around 100ish...sometimes it'll get hot hot hot like 105...but there's very little humidity, so when I go to hawaii and it's 85 degrees, it feels much hotter then spokane at 100 degrees.

The other thing to consider is Spokane isn't doing so well crime wise. A couple of new gangs have moved up from california and there is a LOT more crime around the courthouse area. It used to be VERY uncommon to see graffiti on single family homes. Now it's very common. And the sad part is spokane is increasing their public welfare programs (thus attracting the homeless/needy from the surronding area...especially from idaho) while at the same time they're cutting 30 more police officers. Many people refer to spokane as the meca for the idaho homeless. (they also get a lot of homeless that travel from the indian reservations because their welfare programs are so good) (*please don't think I'm racist because I said indian reservations...I'm part indian)

I interrupted a break in at one of my rentals last month, called 911, the police answered and said, "I'm sorry but we're really busy tonight, because those have such a low chance of being solved, we're not even going to be able to come out and respond." Such a joke imo.

I personally view spokane as a declining city, not a prospering city. So I would personally choose somewhere else to live. I'm not saying washington is bad, I'd just say "spokane" is bad imo. (and it breaks my heart because I went to Gonzaga and LOVED IT!!!!! I would still recommend Gonzaga as a college to people because their local campus police does a GREAT job at deterring crime/keeping the people who aren't suppose to be on campus off)

fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.

(snip) fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.
Kirkland is nice, but it's even more expensive than Washington State in general.

fwiw...check out Kirkland in western washington. While I've never lived there, I went to school with people from there, and they always had good things to say about it.

Many on this board for the most part rank things:1. Cheap 2.Cheap 3.Cheap 4.What else is there?

Ha

Many on this board for the most part rank things:1. Cheap 2.Cheap 3.Cheap 4.What else is there?

Ha

Well, there's the OP's question, about the best weather. :) I'm sure I'm not the only person around here who has said "I don't care how cheap it is, there is no way I would ever move to [fill in the blank]—I just couldn't stand the [heat, icy winters, snow, constant rain, pollen....]."

Long time lurker here...I created the account to "just" post in this thread because I think I can be a "little" help.

I lived in Spokane for 4 years, and have lived my whole life within 80 miles of Spokane (I'm 26).

The winters in eastern washington (and spokane) varies a lot. Last winter I only had to shovel snow once. 2 winters ago I had to shovel almost every week for 3 months str8, and there was so much snow that the city didn't even plow "non main roads"....meaning if you didn't have 4 wheel drive, you didn't go anywhere (they even closed the main/big mall of the city). And barely any sidewalks were even touched by the citizens.

In the summer, it gets up around 100ish...sometimes it'll get hot hot hot like 105...but there's very little humidity, so when I go to hawaii and it's 85 degrees, it feels much hotter then spokane at 100 degrees.

The other thing to consider is Spokane isn't doing so well crime wise. A couple of new gangs have moved up from california and there is a LOT more crime around the courthouse area. It used to be VERY uncommon to see graffiti on single family homes. Now it's very common. And the sad part is spokane is increasing their public welfare programs (thus attracting the homeless/needy from the surronding area...especially from idaho) while at the same time they're cutting 30 more police officers. Many people refer to spokane as the meca for the idaho homeless. (they also get a lot of homeless that travel from the indian reservations because their welfare programs are so good) (*please don't think I'm racist because I said indian reservations...I'm part indian)

I interrupted a break in at one of my rentals last month, called 911, the police answered and said, "I'm sorry but we're really busy tonight, because those have such a low chance of being solved, we're not even going to be able to come out and respond." Such a joke imo.

I personally view spokane as a declining city, not a prospering city. So I would personally choose somewhere else to live. I'm not saying washington is bad, I'd just say "spokane" is bad imo. (and it breaks my heart because I went to Gonzaga and LOVED IT!!!!! I would still recommend Gonzaga as a college to people because their local campus police does a GREAT job at deterring crime/keeping the people who aren't suppose to be on campus off)

Who is "not supposed to be on campus" ?

Thanks for the update. I've been through Spokane a few times, and thought it was a good possibility, but haven't been there for several years.

You just moved it considerably lower on my list. Any comments about Boise?

Back
Top Bottom