Best free alternative to Kaspersky Internet Security

petestan

Dryer sheet aficionado
I had to purchase a new computer some months ago and bought it at Best Buy. They put on Kaspersky Internet Security and the license is about to expire. To renew cost $50 for the year. I was wondering if there are any free alternatives that are just as good or am I better off just renewing.

I had heard about Microsoft Security Essentials. Is this just as effective?

Thank you.

Don't renew automatically on line. It is far too expensive. Same with Norton.

Much better to buy them when they are on sale. I buy a three system lic. each year either on/around black friday or boxing day. There should be some on sale for back to school. I would be surprised if you had to pay more than $20 for a single license.

Consumer Reports recommends both Avira and AVG free security software.

I've used AVG for years and not had a problem. If you go the free route you will have to put up with frequent pop-ups trying to get you to upgrade to a paid version, but I don't find it to be much of an inconvienience.

The stock, free Windows Defender that comes with Windows 10 was pretty highly rated. And, it won't cause conflicts with the Windows OS as some third party programs can.

Kapersky scores well but recently have been linked with russian intelligence spying.

I saw a news article earlier today regarding concerns about Kaspersky software. With so many other good alternatives, why take a chance on something that is suspect?

I have use AVG, Avast, and Pandora. I now use Windows Defenders. I don't open email attachments. Had a computer since 1978. I have had only one virus and that was in 1982.

I was using Panda free antivirus as one time, that was unobtrusive. But now, Panda consistently gives nag popups asking to upgrade. Now I use Immuet which is free and doesn't nag. I've also read good things of Bitdefender free AV.

I had heard about Microsoft Security Essentials. Is this just as effective?

Thank you.
None are 100% but I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for over 5 years now on more than 6 PC's and have had no known or "suspected" serious problems. That and keeping my PC's patched and never surfing the net while logged on as an administrator, seems to work for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom