Best occupations for individuals with Bipolar-2

Safire

Recycles dryer sheets
What are occupations that have lots of structure, very predictable hours (to the extent possible), and entail working in a quiet environment with minimum distractions and little to no regular interaction with the public / vendors / customers? A field which requires employees to be very public-facing or has any unpredictability (be it with schedules or tasks etc) may interfere with the individual's ability to do well, given her challenges. She is quite self-directing but also works well taking directions from others (supervisors / co-workers).

Thanks so much for any feedback you may have for me!

What are occupations that have lots of structure, very predictable hours (to the extent possible), and entail working in a quiet environment with minimum distractions and little to no regular interaction with the public / vendors / customers? A field which requires employees to be very public-facing or has any unpredictability (be it with schedules or tasks etc) may interfere with the individual's ability to do well, given her challenges. She is quite self-directing but also works well taking directions from others (supervisors / co-workers).

From tangential experience, I'd start with:

Data entry
Flower arranging
Vehicle repair
Filing
Copy reading

Lab techs and accountants are professions that require study and certification, but can be quite structured, task focused and have little interaction with others.

I had an acquaintance who made dentures. Solitary work.

Good suggestions.

Sorry for the diagnosis. FIL was bipolar and never could work for anyone other than himself. Oddly he interfaced with the public and did well with it. This was prior to his diagnosis and being treated.

I don’t have great suggestions, but it’s great that you’re thinking about all of these qualities for fit. Having more than one person dear to me with bipolar, I would add:

9-5 hours, with ideally some time outdoors. Having set ‘normal’ hours that don’t interfere with good sleep hygiene can make a huge difference.

A low drama atmosphere.

Something that requires in person work where any sign of a spiral is quickly apparent.

I was a career counselor as part of my job helping people with disabilities return to work. Accountants surprisingly have a good deal of interaction with others. It’s also high stress at certain times of the year depending on the business.

What about something like an account clerk/technician in a local government department?
We have those positions and although they interact a little with co-workers it isn’t a lot.

Also, you should look for your local One Stop- or as they might be called now- America’s Job Center.
They can help people looking for a job and do assessments for what positions are a best fit.

I don't know much about bi-polar disorder, but there is a book called "Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type" that matches up personality types and careers. I found it very helpful for my interests.

I actually have personal experience with this question.

A contrarian view: don't limit this person.

An amazing amount can be done with the right meds. Cognititive behavior therapy, while difficult, is also quite useful. As is the person just developing their own internal barometer of where they are at on the continuum at any given time.

There is no limit to where they can go.

As to routines, might I suggest that a key is actually the ability to flex one's schedule and interactions based on where they are at emotionally. BP-2 will have days when it is literally difficult to get out of bed and other days where they want to work until midnight. Even the occassional reality of getting lost in something and staying up until 4a but then having to sleep it off almost like a hangover. This will be particularly true before a solid foundations of meds and self-management are established.

PM me if you want to discuss more.

My thought, also, if there are no pertinent intellectual limitations.

At one point, I oversaw a large division of coders and interacted with most of them. While nobody was unfriendly and some were outgoing, most truly craved to be left alone with their screens and their thinking. The outgoing ones, who enjoyed "customer interaction," did most of it so the others didn't have to.

Programmer. Coder

My thought, also, if there are no pertinent intellectual limitations.

At one point, I oversaw a large division of coders and interacted with most of them. While nobody was unfriendly and some were outgoing, most truly craved to be left alone with their screens and their thinking. The outgoing ones, who enjoyed "customer interaction," did most of it so the others didn't have to.
++

In the right environment a bipolar person can thrive.

Back
Top Bottom