Best Retirement J*bs

My Requirements

After 35 years of highly complex IT consulting work, I know I need to find something else to keep me busy. I have a habit of finding highly challenging work for myself, and my #1 requirement is to keep it simple this time.

My Requirements:
1. No complex difficult obtuse problems to solve
2. Fun job with interaction with people
3. Limited and flexible hours
4. Pay is optional but nice.

I'm thinking serving food in a soup kitchen, or something else very different from what I've been doing, would be great.

Ideal retirement job, volunteer newborn baby cuddler in local hospital, no experience needed.

Last edited:
I decided not to take ER till I knew I had enough money to never have to work for money again. So far that has worked fairly well, in my 17th years. I did sell on eBay for a few years after retirement to get rid of some of my extraneous stuff, then I started buying stuff at garage sales and flea markets to resell. All of a sudden I thought, this is work, stop it, and I did.

I worked with Habitat for Humanity for 15 years before retirement and another 10 years after. When we moved I was planning on starting with HfH again but decided to take a year then decide. Now 7 years have passed and I decided I keep busy enough. I do some newsletter work for a local car club I belong to and I'm active in a national club and act as their web master and online moderator so that keeps me as busy as I want to be.

Ideal retirement job, volunteer newborn baby cuddler in local hospital, no experience needed.

I was an orphan give away baby with a lot of medical issues abandoned at birth. The Doctors told my adoptive parents that the only reason they could figure out how I lived was the volunteers who came in and cuddled me when I was ready to die on my own. I pulled through. Thank you.

I had planned to work after retirement, but the pandemic (and my vulnerability to COVID complications) made the health risk too high.

My wife is doing part-time work from home at a good pay rate that pushes us close to the 22% tax bracket. Unless commuting costs are minimal, even a job at $20 an hour isn't all that attractive with an almost 35% tax bite.

I remember when I retired 6 years ago. My mother suggested that maybe I could get a part time job at Home Depot or similar. "You're pretty handy, it would suit you."

My response: "If I wanted to keep working I would have stayed at my last employer making far more instead of making a little over minimum and having to answer to someone less than half my age."

I make a bit gigging with my bands but the amount is so little that it doesn't really count as a job. I make more than my hobby costs, though so that's a good thing. I've also done a few small reno jobs for friends but I don't want to make it a job so I pick and choose projects that I know I can do well.

After FIRE in 2009 at 51 and doing a part-time stint with a client, I decided to teach a class as an adjunct at a local college.

It was fun, met 3-4 hours a week, and I had lots of time off.

Then I got offered an additional class that was asynchronous learning. No specific hours, just use the learning management system to post assignments and to grade, etc. It was fun, and I had lots of time off.

Then I was offered a third class. Why not I thought? A bit more money (which really didn't matter), but I enjoy teaching, having kids learn computer science.

Then after a few years a full time temp position opened up. Only a couple more classes - with a good amount of asynchronous distance with some physical classes mixed in. Why not I thought - full time money (vs adjunct), nice medical benefits. Not a lot more classes as a lot of Computer Science classes are 4 credit.

Then after a year, I was offered tenured track. Why not I thought, I'm here anyway, and basically the same as FT temp. Just have to participate in Department meetings and be involved with course selection/enhancement.

Then I was offered additional classes on top of regular load. Mostly because the school was trying to not hire additional FT tenured as some older employees (hey, that's me isn't it?). So a couple/few more classes here we come.

It still is a "good job", in that I get nice breaks and the summers off. But I will say, it is also an example of getting SUCKED IN, especially if you have that type of personality.

Would I change the path I've taken? No, but it is interesting the way it happened. I was the FIRST of my friend set to retire - way before others - yet here I am the last man standing (at work that is).

Good luck with your retirement!

Same here
Retired in 2018 thinking i was completely done.Started to sub teach at a local school to help out. (never taught in my life!) Fast forward, i was offered a adjunct at the community college teaching what i know (electrical)
One day a week, summers off,full benefits
Teaching could be a good path to look at:):):)

I'm really enjoying my tour guide gig. Enough so that I've changed my "occupation" from Financial Advisor (to myself) to Tour Guide. Tour Guide seems more shocking to people than retired. Several customers have asked what my real job is... so fun to say this is the closest I have to a real job. The arrangement is pretty flexible for me and I am not committed to take any tours; however, for now I am taking all I am able as each tour gets better as I get more practice. It really is a lot of fun and I am out and about in the City most days and it is super-sweet to get paid for it. I usually walk ~5 miles RT to/from the start of the tours as well.

I participate in various product evaluations, healthy patient studies - currently in a sleep study and another study about memory, aging and alcohol. I also sign up to do focus groups and mock juries. With your background, it sounds like you could be a part time head hunter especially in today's job market.

Last edited:
When I tell customers at the winery that I am retired and this is my hobby job, I can see the light go on. Some likely never thought of such a thing. Many comment that I am an inspiration.

Some of the comments in this thread are interesting in that folks don’t want to report to someone younger or have a schedule in retirement, but there is another side to all that: learning, interacting, becoming part of another circle of people. I find that rewarding.

I ran a company for 27 years. I didn’t want to work in retirement and I consider my time at the winery actually playtime.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying my tour guide gig. Enough so that I've changed my "occupation" from Financial Advisor (to myself) to Tour Guide. Tour Guide seems more shocking to people than retired. Several customers have asked what my real job is... so fun to say this is the closest I have to a real job. The arrangement is pretty flexible for me and I am not committed to take any tours; however, for now I am taking all I am able as each tour gets better as I get more practice. It really is a lot of fun and I am out and about in the City most days and it is super-sweet to get paid for it. I usually walk ~5 miles RT to/from the start of the tours as well.

+1 that sounds great. What a good idea!

Retirement job

After a couple of years of 200 rounds per year I fulfilled a bucket list item. I always wanted to work in a hardware store. So, I ended up working at the Home Depot. Great job for the retired.

Get your credentials to be a home inspector.

All they do is go down a long list of things to look at. Find a problem and you take a picture. Then write a small note on the deficiency. At the end, you cut them a copy on a portable printer and go on to the next job.

This is a $800-$1000 per day job, and you can work as much or little as you wish. The hot real estate market is making many people do very well financially.

That is a difficult job for someone in their 20's-40's. You really want to be climbing thru crawl spaces and attics when you are in your 50's+? I don't.

I see it as a physical challenge at 60+. I'll still do it as long as I can and not injure myself.
I get on the floor to do yoga, so crawling around is not a thing.

One year into retirement, I’m still doing the eBay gig by flipping items found at estate sales. DW and I have been offered stints at Chick-fil-A where we could work part time by picking up available shifts, or none at all if we choose. We had breakfast there this morning and the whole crew seemed pretty happy and relaxed. We’ve also been offered positions at the Atlanta Braves as ushers, or working an easy hospitality gig at one of the sky boxes. We declined last year and we’re later disappointed when we missed out on the opportunity to work a couple of World Series games. I also considered renewing my soccer referee license but I don’t think I could take the parents telling me about the bad calls I’m sure to make. I find whatever I do, it’s not for the extra cash, I’m merely avoiding other things I should be doing at home.

How did you get the volleyball gig? That sounds fun.

My daughter played in HS. I was already doing baseball. I would be upset with my daughters volleyball officials. One day she said "if you think you can do better, go ahead". I said, "yes, I can do better". I asked one of the officials at the game who to contact. I went to a few clinics and took the tests. Been at it for 10 years now.

Online sales (ebay, etc.) offer much more than sometimes appear at first glance. Low start up costs, work from home, turn on, off when you please, set your own hours, and business deductions as long as you make a profit (could be just a few thousand a year). Not too hard to net $400-500 just playing around part time (8-10 hrs. a week?) Hundreds of youtubes giving newbies tips on where to find items to sell and how to do it. There are people making $100k a year as established sellers-and others making a little extra vacation money .

Many sellers have a background/hobby with the items they sell. I know of one seller who buys vintage stereo equipment, rehabs it, and re-sells at a fat profit-it used to be just a hobby with him. A former motorcycle mechanic now buys wrecks and sells the bike parts on ebay-makes $10k a month. Another is a life long Barbie collector who repairs damaged dolls and clothing to re-sell.

To paraphrase one of the more established bloggers, "US society has a river of unwanted stuff being sold cheap at yard sales, donated to thrifts or just put out on the street for disposal. What an opportunity for resellers!"

That is a difficult job for someone in their 20's-40's. You really want to be climbing thru crawl spaces and attics when you are in your 50's+? I don't.
I think of myself as in good shape in my early 60s, and still couldn't bring myself to enter the crawl space more than once a week while doing a small project.

Last edited:
I remember when I retired 6 years ago. My mother suggested that maybe I could get a part time job at Home Depot or similar. "You're pretty handy, it would suit you."

My response: "If I wanted to keep working I would have stayed at my last employer making far more instead of making a little over minimum and having to answer to someone less than half my age."
The issue with part-time jobs of having to work for someone not as smart as yourself, and conflicts because of it, has come up here before.

Dream job? Only in bad dreams.

I'm in my 50's and do that on my own house. Really, unless you're in poor health, you should be able to handle that easily in your 50s. Of course, I stay active with biking and more while some people may be sedentary. It depends on the person.

The issue with part-time jobs of having to work for someone not as smart as yourself, and conflicts because of it, has come up here before.

The opposite could be true too and then you realize you’re not as smart as you think you are. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom