Best walk off the job story

These stories are great! Mine is not that exciting but has a happy ending.

My division of a fortune 500 was nearing sunset so I applied for a job in another rising star division. Soon after I was called into HR thinking it was for the new job. Instead I got laid off and was given 7 months severance pay. About a month later the new division's HR called me with the new job offer. I worked two more years before retiring. In hindsight the company gave me a very nice paid vacation and a glimpse of what retirement was like.

What it said was “Joe, I like your idea. We’ll offer to move him to our Paris office. But if his wife is anything like mine, she’ll love it for about a week but will soon want to move back home and he’ll have no choice but to resign”.

That is EPIC!

My story is more about how I didn’t quit but made them pay anyway.

What the idiots didn’t know:
We had lived in Paris for a number of years prior, were both fluent in the language, had friends there and my wife had been going there twice a year on her own since college.

We spent the next two years sitting at sidewalk cafes, drinking wine all day and just enjoying the scene; I had very little to do, visited the local office once or twice a week, maybe a few business day trips to Switzerland or London. It was the best time of our lives! HR would call every few weeks asking how my wife was getting along! Every time they'd call, I'd be ecstatic about how much we loved the place!

They even tried a few times trick me into insubordination but I wasn't going to bite on that worm! "Yes, boss! No problem"

Eventually they came to their senses and after two years decided they’d fire me anyway, paid my contract and here I am today.

This sounds like a movie!!! Amazing I Iove this so much!!!

Last edited:
So now we hear marko's back story. It's great!

Our friend Mark took a new position with the nuke power co and worked with Dr. Walt who showed him the ropes. Dr. Walt (not a real dr) had been with the company for 30-40 years.

One day Walt told Mark that he was retiring and he walked into the boss's office around lunch time and told the boss that he wouldn't be back. Boss said fine - take the rest of the day off. Walt said no - I'm never coming back. He walked out of the office and never came back or was heard from again.

Our friend Mark took a new position with the nuke power co and worked with Dr. Walt who showed him the ropes. Dr. Walt (not a real dr) had been with the company for 30-40 years.

One day Walt told Mark that he was retiring and he walked into the boss's office around lunch time and told the boss that he wouldn't be back. Boss said fine - take the rest of the day off. Walt said no - I'm never coming back. He walked out of the office and never came back or was heard from again.
Walt looked at that bucket. That day it overflowed, BS was everywhere. Walt checked out.

LOL, I love that!!

I've mentioned this before, but when I first hired into at Mega Motors, legend has it that one engineer that worked remotely just ghosted the company, driving off with a company truck. It took a while for anyone to figure out that he had just disappeared and he continued to get his paychecks for a while until someone turned off the tap.

So, not so much a pi$$ed off employee as a run of the mill flake.

I've mentioned this before, but when I first hired into at Mega Motors, legend has it that one engineer that worked remotely just ghosted the company, driving off with a company truck. It took a while for anyone to figure out that he had just disappeared and he continued to get his paychecks for a while until someone turned off the tap.

So, not so much a pi$$ed off employee as a run of the mill flake.

Wow! Got to be some poorly run outfits. Lol

Yikes. I don't relish following marko on this topic. His was a dream story! Here's my tiny contribution.

In the early '80s, fresh out of graduate school I worked for a small, but successful consulting firm in a large east coast city. The founder/ceo was a bit of a madman, who didn't respect work/life boundaries--he once told me and a fellow worker, my backpacking partner, that we couldn't plan weekend hiking trips out of town without his permission (in case a client called with a problem). But the tipping point for me was when he signed off on my request in January for two days off in May so that my wife and I could move apartments. Well, come April, he rescinded that approval, saying I was needed in the office to on-board a new staff member. So, for this and a long list of other reasons, I put some feelers out for a new job.

I felt good about one interview in particular and so told the ceo that I was locked in with movers and too bad, I'm taking the two days. He expressed disappointment in me and suggested that I might need to reconsider my future with the company.

On the day of the move-in to the new place I was unboxing kitchen stuff and found our wall telephone (remember land lines?). I attached it to the wall (we had retained our old number) and to my surprise it immediately RANG in my hands! It was my new soon-to-be boss offering me the job!

So, when I went back to work I found that they moved the new guy, Andy, into my previously private (and small) office--I now had an office mate. I had decided to hand the boss my resignation letter later that morning and so just kept quiet about my plan, and tried to help Andy settle in meanwhile. Andy noted that he didn't have a stapler, so I offered him mine. "No problem, Andy, I'll just walk over to your desk when I need to fasten some papers." "Wow, Bryan, that is really nice of you." There were several other things he was missing, and I offered him mine to his surprise. The best one was his office chair--it "just didn't feel comfortable" for him. So, "Here Andy, why don't we switch chairs? Mine is really a sweet chair. No I don't mind at all." Andy thought he had found the most amazing office mate!

Around 11 I went into the ceo's office and resigned. At that time I was leading a major project for a national client, who were quite adamant about "on time/on budget" contract provisions. And it was a hard, tricky piece of work back then--automating a multi-billion dollar financial processing product with an IBM mainframe and the recently introduced desktop IBM-PC. The look on his face when I resigned is memorable to this day! I guess he didn't figure on Bryan taking his advice to re-assess his future with the company seriously. He mumbled something about perhaps a partnership opportunity for me; but I wasn't having it. I was gone.

I started my new job two weeks later. I never learned what happened to the project or if Andy stayed for very long; but I did see that the company folded about a decade later and the ceo had subsequently gone solo as a consultant.

-BB

I dunno, that was pretty epic playing the nicest office mate ever for Andy. That was some real class there and you did all that you could do, all that you could stomach to help him succeed.
I did a stint with Sears as a young guy, back when they were kings at providing benefits if you worked more than 32 hours, and making sure you never got there.
I was a service tech and one of the regional bigwigs came around to talk to us one time and opened the floor for comments or concerns. I brought up health insurance and he rather flippantly said " You're a young guy in good health " like that was an answer. He laughed at his own joke and I was gone in a week or two. My blood was boiling and It was all I could do to not tear him a new one, but indeed I was a young guy and my mother's son.

Unfortunately all too believable response! Good on you for seeing yourself out.

BTW, one of the power games the CEO of this small firm played with us employees was to insist we all stop in his office on our way out the door for the day and say a simple goodbye/see you tomorrow.

But sometimes he was on the 'phone when one of us would stop by and he would hold up his index finger as if to say, "hold on a minute" and then would make you wait until his conversation ended--once it was 10 minutes for me--just to say, "OK, see you tomorrow." Dick

-BB

...........BTW, one of the power games the CEO of this small firm played with us employees was to insist we all stop in his office on our way out the door for the day and say a simple goodbye/see you tomorrow. .........
When I started at Mega, I had a supervisor that would "make the rounds" at about a half hour after the day formally ended at 4:30 to see who was still at their desks pretending to work and who was a clock watcher and had left on time. That was my introduction to "face time". The humorous part was that we were so overstaffed that engineers divvied up the actual work to keep anyone from dying of boredom. This same supervisor made sure at least a few engineers came in on Saturday, too, to burn up his allocation of overtime, again with nothing to actually do.

When I started at Mega, I had a supervisor that would "make the rounds" at about a half hour after the day formally ended at 4:30 to see who was still at their desks pretending to work and who was a clock watcher and had left on time. That was my introduction to "face time".

During my time at the Pentagon (I was a lowly O-5), the official working hours were 0730 to 1630 (that's nine hours for you civilians). But there was absolutely no chance that anyone would get to the office much after 0700 nor leave much before 1900 (that's 12 hours).

In fairness, I have to say that there was actually enough work to keep us busy for that long, but this was one of the main reasons for my deciding to hang it up. Combined with occasional weekend duty and my 45 minute commute each way, it was a very long day and pretty much wiped out any chance for a real life.

When I started at Mega, I had a supervisor that would "make the rounds" at about a half hour after the day formally ended at 4:30 to see who was still at their desks pretending to work and who was a clock watcher and had left on time. That was my introduction to "face time". The humorous part was that we were so overstaffed that engineers divvied up the actual work to keep anyone from dying of boredom. This same supervisor made sure at least a few engineers came in on Saturday, too, to burn up his allocation of overtime, again with nothing to actually do.

Years ago at a micro division of a MegaCorp I worked for a guy that had reputations both for humor and being difficult to work for. We had flex time, and I came in at 7:00am.

One day he walked past my office at 4:30pm, as I was putting on my jacket to leave. Without even stopping, he just said "oh, putting in half a day?"

I said nothing and left. At about 10:00pm that night I called his office phone and left a message. Something like "felt guilty leaving early, so I came back to the office. See you when you get here".

He never said anything about the message, but from then on he never commented about my leaving, and I got some dang good bonuses.

Of course, it could have gone the other way.:facepalm:

I never ghosted at a job but I came close once- and it would have happened on Christmas Day. Let me explain.

I had moved to WA months earlier and the large grocery store chain I had been working for didn’t have an immediate opening in the division I was moving to so I took a job as a pharmacist at one of the large national chains while I waited for an opportunity at my previous employer.

It doesn’t matter which large pharmacy chain- trust me from a pharmacy employee’s perspective they are all terrible.

I was getting fed up with this chain because we were extremely short staffed despite the fact that they kept opening new stores in my area. The scheduler would routinely call you 1-2 hours before your scheduled shift was supposed to end to tell you “we don’t have anyone to come in for you so you’re going to have to stay.” In some cases I was working 14 hour days on my feet with no lunch break.

I walk in to start my shift on the morning of 5 days before Christmas. My tech immediately says “the scheduler is on line 1 for you.” I remember mumbling “oh this can’t be good.” It was never good when the scheduler called you at the store.

Here is how the phone conversation went as best I can remember:

Scheduler: “I have bad news RxMan, you’re going to have to work Christmas Day.” (Keep in mind this is only 5 days prior to Christmas and I’m not scheduled to work.)

Me: “Can’t do it- you’ll have to find someone else.”

Scheduler: “There is no one else- your going to have to work.”

Me: “Let me be clear- I’m not working Christmas Day. Whether or not I still have a job on December 26th is up to the company but I guarantee you I will not be working on the 25th.”

Scheduler: “Well let me make some calls and see what I can do but I’m not optimistic this last minute.”

Me: “Why don’t you call the executives that thought it was such a great idea to have so many stores open on Christmas Day in the same division and make them work it.”

Scheduler: “That’s no fair!”

Me: “Exactly!”

Scheduler: “I’ll make some calls and get back to you.”

A couple of hours later she called back to tell me she found someone else to cover our store on Christmas Day. I resented the fact she called and tried to tell me I was working rather than asking me if I could work.

A couple of weeks later I heard from my old employer. They had an opening for me. I put in my two weeks notice immediately after getting off the phone with the job offer from my new DM.

Two weeks exactly was on a Monday and I didn’t want to work one extra day for this company so my last day was a Monday which is kind of strange. They called me several times in those two weeks begging me to stay the rest of that week. No sale after the way this company had treated me (I have plenty of stories). I told the new boss I couldn’t start until the following Monday- I was taking the rest of the week off!

After I left I later heard that the pharmacy I used to work at had to close at 3PM two days that week and didn’t open at all another day because nobody was available to work. We were normally opened until 10PM on weekdays. Ridiculous that they were closing early and on one day never opening and it’s something I hardly ever hear happening but that’s how short staffed that district was at the time.

I moved on and never looked back. Technically this counts as a close call rather than actually ghosting a job but I would have done it- on Christmas Day! :cool:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had worked every holiday since starting with the company. That was part of the source of my frustration.

Last edited:
I was introduced to "face time" like travelover was when a new Director of Engineering came in. I was asked to come in on a Saturday for a couple of hours. It was purely face time.
I told them It was nuts for me to commute 2 hours to be there for 2 hours "face time".
I left shortly thereafter. I retired from my next company after 20 years. In that time, I lost track of how many presidents we had.

I was introduced to "face time" like travelover was when a new Director of Engineering came in. I was asked to come in on a Saturday for a couple of hours. It was purely face time.
I told them It was nuts for me to commute 2 hours to be there for 2 hours "face time".
I left shortly thereafter. I retired from my next company after 20 years. In that time, I lost track of how many presidents we had.

I can remember during a annual job review and got a 9 for attendance from the same boss, 4 years in a row. I had mentioned that I had never called of off over 20+ years, never missed a shift, stayed over anytime I was scheduled/asked/told to stay. He told me, "I never came in on my day off."

Is this idea of “face time” common practice? It seems like such a waste of time!

I had resigned from a high-profile firm to give me time to devote to my parent's health care needs. My father's health significantly deteriorated but I was being recruited by another firm for a similar position. As best I could I nicely told the HR manager, "No", and told her that my father was ill. The last call was when my father was in the hospital, where I blurted out, "My father is dying, please don't call me again!"

If she had taken the hint and simply asked me to contact her when available I might have done that, but given the fact that she wasn't sensitive to my priorities, it was better that I slammed the door shut.

In early 2000 I worked at a high tech consulting firm. Liked the work but not the 60 hr weeks. Last straw was when data I was supposed to analyze and report on arrived late Friday instead of Monday as had been planned. Totally out of my control. My boss said "I guess you'll just have to write the report this weekend". Well, that weekend my father -- who was dying of cancer -- had come to visit. It was possibly the last visit we'd have together. Didn't matter, no sympathy from the boss. So I wrote the damn report and promptly looked for a new job. Found one soon after and gave my notice. It so happened I was the last person left to wrap up a $1M high profile project. The others had all left for dot com jobs. Without me the company was up the creek without a paddle. A VP tried to persuade me to stay, but I said I didn't want to work 60 hrs/week. They countered that in all likelihood my new job would be the same, as it was at a dot com. Well, I said, if that's the case I'll quit there too. What a sense of empowerment! The song "Take this job and shove it" played in my head. The best part was a week later when the company came calling to ask if I could wrap up the project I'd been working on, as a consultant. "Sure -- my rate's $250/hr" (what the senior consultants earned at the time, and about 6x mine). They paid it. That was really sweet revenge.

As promised, this is the 2nd time I quit. Apologies about length. Hopefully some of you will find it interesting.

In 2015 my state began sponsoring the development of 9 regional nonprofit recovery community centers. I spearheaded the effort to land funding to build one in my town. Over the course of a few years several of them banded together for the purposes of going after funding, quality control, and general cost savings.

My group decided to explore joining. They said all the right things. Crucially, assuring us we would maintain local autonomy of programming, hiring, salaries. Additionally, we would maintain full control of our money, and get timely financial reports. We write up a contract and become part of the company.

Things go along slightly bumpily but okay for about 6 months. Our treasurer starts noticing some strange things in the books, and we aren't getting timely financial reports. I also find out a crucial insurance policy they had claimed to be in place, Officers and Directors Errors and Omissions insurance, is not in place. About this time my treasurer finds two $5k transactions debited to us that aren't ours. We also find out the director spent a few years in prison-was in fact still on probation for-financial crimes. We contact them to correct the financial issue. Get stonewalled for months.

Our board decides to take the exit clause built into our contract. Per stipulation we give them three months' notice, and request our unused funds returned. We also detail info about the two $5k checks asking for resolution to that. I send our resignation letter to the board of directors, accidentally including a former board member. Former board member gets back to me "OMG, I think I know where your money went..." She shows me very good evidence of fraud, with the money ending up in the directors pocket. I show our board president, a CPA, the evidence. He is very concerned, viewing his license as on the line. As he says "If you have evidence of fraud and don't tell the board of directors you are complicit in the fraud. You and I are complicit if we don't go forward with this."

I have no choice but to call their board president.

He makes it very clear he doesn't believe me. But I get him to promise to look into it, after pointing out the lack of Errors and Omissions insurance has put all of our butts on the line. A meeting of their various agency heads was scheduled for the next day. In light of everything going on he cancels it. Or so he claims. I figure out its happening and dial in. He doesn't hear me come on the line. I proceed to hear for 15 minutes how the company has no money, can't afford to pay us back. They plan to use my groups money to hire a lawyer against us.

The next morning my board instructs me to go to the bank and withdraw all our money. Should be about $25k. There is about $5k. We take it and put it into our old bank account from before we joined them. At about this time we get a 5 figure check from a donor addressed to us but written with BOTH our FORMER partners name and OUR name on it. We cash it.

At this point lawyers get involved, and we go back and forth for several months kicking each other in the balls as best we can:
1. They find out where we are banking and manage to get all of our money locked up due to fraud, including the donation listed above which they dispute-leaving us with only a couple thousand I had not yet deposited,
2. We track down the directors parole officer and attempt to get them put back in jail,
3. They contact our local police and try to get them to come down and close our business simultaneously sending us notice that all staff were fired,
4. We contact their local police department and get their financial crimes unit to look into our claims (they find evidence of fraud, but the board president refuses to make a formal complaint, and we can't because we were part of the company at the time of the incident)
5. We contact the state attorney general and some local legislators
6. Their name is on the lease, so they start messing with our landlord
7. We go somewhat public, writing to all their known board members, local legislators, etc. detailing claims and evidence.

It goes on for most of 6 months, with several lawyerly letters claiming various $10s of thousands are owed on both sides. Finally, they send a note agreeing to settle for $0, plus the rights to the large donation I mentioned earlier.

I eagerly sign it.

Why so eager? I had followed up on that donation the week before.
I called the bank: As part of their fraud investigation into our account they had sent the disputed money back to the original donor, a very large company.
I also called the donor: They couldn't find the money. I signed eagerly because I didn't think that money would ever be found and sent back to either of us.

I didn't walk away-my entire company walked away...

PS-That company had 5 groups under it after we joined. In ensuing years others also found problems. It is down to two now. The group run by their overall director and another that, apparently, doesn't track its finances.

Back
Top Bottom