Big Island (Hawaii) in February?

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently started a thread about Kauai in February, but I am now considering The Big Island instead. Several reasons, including the possibility that Kauai may be too wet for my tastes.

Also it looks, from surfing the VRBO listings that there are more options on Hawaii.

A few of the more intriguing options are little set-aside guest cottages on farms. A couple on the northeast coast north of Hilo. I gather this is the wetter side.

A couple on coffee estates on the west side, near Kona, which I gather is dryer and warmer.

So, how wet is the NE part? Are we talking "rain all day, day after day" or rain at night, or most likely "it's a crap shoot"?

I'd welcome any insights from those who have spent time on Hawaii.

According to this: Hawaii (Big) Island Weather Guide - Go Visit Hawaii it's mostly rain at night.

Can't recall if we've been to Hilo in Feb , but the times we've been there the weather has either been fine or a bit wet. Only once when we went there
just before a possible hurricane was there constant rain..............and it was well known and forecast.

Wife and I stayed on the the west coast - Kailua area but drove the entire circumference of the island plus a trip up to Mauna Kea. Just an amazing island!!!! It was in September so no help with February weather. I was just watching some video I took there the other day, great memories!

We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid in January around President's day, it was on the West side, it was nice and sunny. I didn't go to Hilo at all.

We go to the Big Island every year and stay in the Kohala Coast area, but we always drive over to the Hilo side at least once. Hilo is basically a working class community. There are some beaches there, but it is definitely not a resort area. And it is very wet. So I think it depends on what you are looking for in your retreat. I personally would not enjoy staying in the Hilo area, as it just feels like a normal every day suburb where people work, live, and raise families. It's not a tourist destination, although I'm sure there are plenty of things to do on that side. And there is a lot of poverty on that side, so it doesn't feel very luxurious over there. But that's just my observation of it.

We typically spend a big chunk of January in the Poipu area of Kauai, and find the weather delightful. Kona will be warmer, but you really should acquaint yourself with Vog: Big Island Vog Index

If you've got asthma, it can be a BIG deal.

We were in Oahu and Hawaii in December and Maui in April. It rained some time almost every day on each island. But, it's warm, doesn't last long (usually) and was no big deal. (at least to this gal from the Pacific NW part of the US!) The days were 99% sun.

We spent a week at the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island about 1/2 hour north of Kona in early February four years ago. The weather was wonderful, though it did snow on Mauna Kea while we were there. A friend who lives in Kona took us on a tour around the island on a Saturday... it was a long day but the changes in topography in a very short distance was very interesting. Beautiful place.

We go to the Big Island every year and stay in the Kohala Coast area, but we always drive over to the Hilo side at least once. Hilo is basically a working class community. There are some beaches there, but it is definitely not a resort area. And it is very wet. So I think it depends on what you are looking for in your retreat. I personally would not enjoy staying in the Hilo area, as it just feels like a normal every day suburb where people work, live, and raise families. It's not a tourist destination, although I'm sure there are plenty of things to do on that side. And there is a lot of poverty on that side, so it doesn't feel very luxurious over there. But that's just my observation of it.

Hilo, by itself is a big town. If you go to the Big Island for its scenery, then you can't miss Volcano National Park, the top of Mauna Kea, and if you like to explore Akaka Falls State Park near Hilo has a great drive through a tropical forest ending at an overlook of the falls.

The wet side is more humid and you can expect rain most every afternoon and overnight. The Kona side is drier, has nicer beaches, and many more places to explore. Grab a guide book for great suggestions, then go over to Tripvisor for reviews.

On Big Island, you can just about have any weather you want - and you may just have to go around a corner to change it. Rarely does rain set in for days or even a day at a time. You get showers and then it's nice for several hours. If you demand sunshine all the time, none of the Islands are guaranteed.

The only bummer is the very occasional (like every few years) two, three, four weeks of rain every day. I've never seen it myself, but I had a boss who took my recommendation to honeymoon on Oahu. It rained for two weeks straight. Oddly, DW and I flew into Oahu the same day the boss left. We got no more than a couple of showers the next two weeks. Just before we moved to Oahu 10 years ago, there was the legendary 40 days of rain! (Rain every day for 40 days.)

If you stay leeward, you typically will have less rain days, less rain when it does rain and often desert conditions. But in this life and especially regarding rain in the tropics, nothing is guaranteed. Right now and for the past several years, Big Island has been considered to be in draught conditions. Folks who use catchment water sometimes have to truck in water to fill their cisterns.

I second the notion to be certain about the VOG areas on Big Island. Some areas are really bad though I'm no expert. I can tell you that when we get Kona winds (out of the SW) the VOG gets as far as Oahu and it can be very unpleasant though typically less than a few days at a time before the trades blow everything away.

I forget whether you have been to the Islands before. If not, I sort of recommend trying Oahu instead of one of the other islands. Most of the scenery that is touted for each of the other islands is also available on Oahu - and you don't have to travel so far. It's just "less of a good thing." True Oahu is "spoiled" by all the tourism, but that also means there is lots more to do in a small space. You're not likely to get "rock fever" in a couple of weeks or a month. It can actually be less expensive to stay on Oahu, though you have to do your research to avoid the occasional "dump" of a hotel. I'm sure you'll find lots of folks who disagree with me, so YMMV>

Oh, and you will almost certainly need a car on Big Island. Unless you stay in a resort and hang around the pool, there is very little to do without a car. It's even "worse" that way than Kauai in my opinion. On Oahu, you can live without a car, but the other Islands simply do not have many transportation options other than rental cars. YMMV

OK folks, we are set for The Big Island. Spending the first two weeks in February in a cottage on a farm, about 15 minutes north of Hilo, (the wet side), and the next two weeks in a little cottage slightly south of Kailua-Kona (the dry side).
So rather than spend 3 months in Florida, we are going to endure January in NY State, February in Hawaii, and then March (cold and wet, typically) back in NY State.

I am hoping to spend a week or two at the beginning of April in Georgia.

If you haven't found a good guide book yet, I usually suggest the series by Andrew Doughty (Oahu Revealed, Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, etc.) About $10 on Amazon. Haven't been to Big Island recently, but the Oahu Book is excellent, so I assume the Big Island book is too. Have fun. Aloha.

If you haven't found a good guide book yet, I usually suggest the series by Andrew Doughty (Oahu Revealed, Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, etc.) About $10 on Amazon. Haven't been to Big Island recently, but the Oahu Book is excellent, so I assume the Big Island book is too. Have fun. Aloha.

thanks, Koolau, I have already picked the book up, as well as the one for Kauai. I think I did so based on a recommendation you made in another post.

I have a question for you: when someone from The Islands says "Aloha", or ends a communication with "Aloha", is it OK for we obvious tourist types to say "Aloha" back?

thanks, Koolau, I have already picked the book up, as well as the one for Kauai. I think I did so based on a recommendation you made in another post.

I have a question for you: when someone from The Islands says "Aloha", or ends a communication with "Aloha", is it OK for we obvious tourist types to say "Aloha" back?

Heh, heh, I guess I'm getting old and forget what I've said to whom, but I have age to blame... :cool:

Absolutely okay (maybe even somewhat expected) to say "aloha" back. Even though it sounds and maybe feels a bit "touristy" at first, you begin to pick it up and may find yourself saying it upon your return to the mainland. The other thing you want to do in the Islands is to smile at folks. Just a very casual smile pays big dividends and you will find yourself doing it upon your return as well.

Spent last few years in February near Waikaloa Resort and Mauna Lani Resort. In
those years only got rain during the day once, for less than a hour. Some rain during the night but that might have been water from the sprinklers for the trees, shrubs, and golf courses. Going to Hilo side it is just the opposite. If we didn't get rain it was a surprise. We always take some kind of rain gear when going to Volcano park or Hilo area.

Pololu overlook, Hawi, Waipio valley, South point, Vocano park and Hapuna beach are just some of the main places to go/see. Unfortunately they are scattered aound the island so you will spend time in traveling. Saddle Road is your friend, but they were working on the Hilo side of the road this past February, with one way traffic.

If you plan right, you can group a couple of the attractions in a day excursion. We depended on the Blue book a lot (... Island Revealed), and still do. Ken's house of pancakes is good, not only for pancakes. Big Island Grill in Kona is good for breakfast; not been there for other meals.

We spent a whole day at Volcano park first visit. Rained off and on (and every visit thereafter). At the end of this first long visit at the park, the drive home was miserable due to the VOG and all day exposure to the volcano fumes. Eyes burned something fierce. Suggest picking up eyedrops before the visit.

If you like to try out some of the 'off the beaten path' beaches and sites, rent a true 4-wheel drive (not a AWD) if for just a day or two and plan accordingly. Many turn-offs from the main highway start as blacktop but quickly turn into crushed volcano rock where a normal car wheel can drop into a foot deep hole or need to go over a boulder sticking up a foot. The blue book usually notes these roads. State park roads are normally kept fully improved.

For us, the rain in Hilo feels warm. Since you are wearing swim trunks with pockets, flip-flop "slippahs", an all-polyester T shirt, and maybe a hat to keep your glasses dry, a little warm water doesn't matter. Your phone and your wallet are in zip-lock bags. It isn't a rain storm, it is just a short shower, mariners may call that a "squall". On the leeward side, there is less rain closer to the coast, and more rain as you go higher on the slopes, which can happen in portions of a mile when driving into a deep ravine then out again on the paved coastal highway.

If the lava is flowing in the Kalapana area, spend the money to see it. Take the boat at night for the first visit, and if that is not enough, then go again to where you rent the bicycles to ride on the closed road to the flow.

At Volcano Nat. Park, the visitors center has a scale model of the island next to the main rest rooms. The model is interesting to those who aren't familiar with topo maps. Also look at rainfall maps to see how the altitude harvests the rain.

At the Waipio Valley lookout, take a good look at the big rock in the ocean at the far end of it. Hours later, at the Pololu Valley lookout, look up the coast at the same rock. Do hike the trail at Pololu, it is steep, and muddy in spots, but much shorter than Waipio. Wear shoes/closed toed sandals with tread for hiking, not your flip-flops. At the bottom, it is a miniature, uncrowded version of Waipio Valley.
Another vote for the blue guidebook, Big Island Revealed.

We're going to the Big Island in August and appreciate all the info in this thread. We're splitting our time between Hilo and Kona. We're not interested in the big resorts as we expect to be spending our waking hours exploring. We're flying in and out of Hilo as that was a couple hundred $$ cheaper at the time we booked. In Hilo, we're staying at Arnott's lodge in a deluxe suite and doing two of their tours - one to the volcano and one to the Mauna Kea summit. We will do the waterfalls on our own. In Kona we opted for the Holiday Inn Express which looks like it will provide the overnight comfort we want as well as a base for the Kona side of the island exploration. We're still planning out our other activities. Will pick up a copy of Big Island Revealed ASAP!

We're going to the Big Island in August and appreciate all the info in this thread. We're splitting our time between Hilo and Kona. We're not interested in the big resorts as we expect to be spending our waking hours exploring. We're flying in and out of Hilo as that was a couple hundred $$ cheaper at the time we booked. In Hilo, we're staying at Arnott's lodge in a deluxe suite and doing two of their tours - one to the volcano and one to the Mauna Kea summit. We will do the waterfalls on our own.

On our last visit to the Big Island, we stayed at Arnott's for 10 nights in a deluxe suite as well. We found the accommodation to be to our liking - clean, safe & quiet. In addition, we took the same tours with them as you are planning on. Both had excellent, informative guides. You'll want really good footwear for the volcano hike and bring lots of water (like a Camelbak) as there will be no shade and it can get quite warm on the lava field. Bring along some trail mix (no chocolate as it will melt).

You will definitely want to have a breakfast or two, or three :) at Ken's House of Pancakes. Ono grinds!

On our last visit to the Big Island, we stayed at Arnott's for 10 nights in a deluxe suite as well. We found the accommodation to be to our liking - clean, safe & quiet. In addition, we took the same tours with them as you are planning on. Both had excellent, informative guides. You'll want really good footwear for the volcano hike and bring lots of water (like a Camelbak) as there will be no shade and it can get quite warm on the lava field. Bring along some trail mix (no chocolate as it will melt).

You will definitely want to have a breakfast or two, or three :) at Ken's House of Pancakes. Ono grinds!

"Clean, safe & quiet" was our thinking too. With its kitchenette, the deluxe suite will allow for breakfast and/or lunch for those days we're not at Ken's ;) Thanks for the tip on the Camelbak; I wasn't sure we'd take them but now we will.

Forgot to mention - a wide-brimmed hat for that volcano hike is another must (sunscreen always a given in Hi.)

DW and I are headed to Maui and the Big Island next week, after a 12 year hiatus. We have been to Kauai twice since then.

Mai tais on my radar, although I plan on overdosing on fresh seafood, a bottle of chilled Sauvignon Blanc, would be great.

We always stop at local farmer's markets for produce where ever we travel, and use the grill at the condo for some great meals on the lanai. Don't have to worry about crowds, or poor service.

Seems like instead of spending half the time in the Hilo area, you should spend at least a couple of night in Volcano National Park. Otherwise you are going to miss out on something really special about the big island.

Back
Top Bottom