Blue Ridge Parkway from N Carolina to Virginia

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, looking for advice on driving the Blue Ridge Parkway from N Carolina.

Coming from Dallas TX, hoping to catch the BRP around Asheville all the way to the border of NC and Virgina.

MP

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.

But were you looking for more specific advice?

Coming from Dallas TX, hoping to catch the BRP around Asheville all the way to the border of NC and Virgina.

MP
What is the final destination, because the far nothern part of the BRP goes thru Shenandoah National Park? That puts you on I -66 into Dc. Or I 64 which goes into Charlottesville, from the South End of the park, or the 3rd best place is Roanoke. Of course pretty much any exit can lead west to I-81 which runs up the valley to the west of the parkway.

Note that from Dallas you could take 20 to 59 to Chattanooga, up 75 to Athens to Catch the Cherohala skyway, to Asheville. It is a national scenic byway :The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway In the drive you gain and loose 4500 foot in elevation.

I'd probably alternate between the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads. 100 miles of winding road with a 45 mph speed limit is about all I want to do in a day.

I live in the summer on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Linville NC. Beautiful area, great weather, the parkway is especially beautiful here. There are many great views and hikes.
What specifically do you want to know? The parkway takes awhile to drive. Go slow and enjoy the scenery. Will you be straying in motels or camping? Let me know your schedule and I can suggest places to stay and eat in my area.

For something a little different plan to stop at Altapass Orchard which is directly on the parkway at Milemarker 328.3 just north of Spruce Pine, NC. It is an apple orchard (apples in the Fall) that has been turned into a music venue. Live music Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Two bands on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I have just returned from there this afternoon. They have good food and great dancing, especially on the weekends. It would be a great place for you to meet local people and learn how to do the local dancing--clogging, flatfooting and mountain two step.

Let me know when you are coming through and maybe I can meet you somewhere and show you around. Shoot me a PM.

You will not be "disappointed" in the Blue Ridge Parkway , Mr/Mrs Disappointed.

I'd probably alternate between the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads. 100 miles of winding road with a 45 mph speed limit is about all I want to do in a day.
I was recalling maximums of 35 mph in parts of Virginia. You might want to plan for a test portion with a reasonable exit, just in case. :rolleyes:

In my area of the BRP the speed limit is 45. It has some curves and rolling but an easy drive. It is not superhighway but that is the point isn't it? I have done Asheville to Roanoke on the BRP, took a few days, no problems.

Spend a night at the Skyline Village Inn in Spruce Pine. Get a balcony room as they have the best views on the parkway from Asheville north. If your tastes are simple, they do either steak or crab cakes for about $15. There's an slightly upscale restaurant across the street with awesome views. At SVI, Mike does breakfast for about $7 a head. There's an "all you can pig out" buffet about a mile north if needed.

SVI is an older, but clean and classic place to stay (awesome history). Google them. We spend several nights a year there escaping the Charlotte area summer heat. FWIW, Mike is a little different, but in a good way. His DW and wing -woman is a gem. her name escapes me at the moment.

Visit Mount Mitchell (also great place for lunch with a view) and Linville Falls.If you are (sort of) healthy, go up to the second overlook. The third, meh. Grandfather Mt is a bit too touristy for me, but very educational.

And yeah, in the summer, it can be a combo of slow moving RV's, a thousand Harleys all committed to cracking the throttle at every turn, and folks who think 45 s/b 70 and glue to your bumper accordingly.

It's a great road trip, but manage expectations accordingly!

MP
When you get to California, turn right up the coast to Seattle.

Get on the BRP at Cherokee, the 'beginning'. from there to
Asheville is the highest elevations, best views, best riding (if on a motorcycle). i've ridden from Cherokee to front royal, va --top to bottom-- and it does take a couple days. Floyd VA,8 miles off the BRP is a bluegrass destination if you are partial to bluegrass music. if the brp gets boring, take the next exit and drop down off the mountain for 6 miles of 'twisties'. then turn around and come back up--it's called a 'gap attack' on two wheels.

Good info here already. From Asheville area up to Virginia is maybe 90 minutes on the parkway. That's long enough for me.

I suggest you take time and look around the Linville/Boone, NC area. We enjoy going through Valle Crucis and staying at a great B&B--and visiting the original Mast General Store.

I used to travel middle Virginia for work and would jump on and off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Parts are beautiful, but driving a.slow and crooked road can also get boring.

My sister lives in NW NC summers in a equestrian/private airplane neighborhood. She often runs into ladies shopping in local stores she calls "the forgotten people". They are authentic hillbillies that have never even left their small communities. And they have very different and refreshing personalities.

Thanks for all the comments.

My final destination is Mount Airy around the last Saturday of July.

From Asheville to Mount Airy taking BRP, I would like to spend a night along the way before I reach Mount Airy. Is Blowing Rock a good candidate? Doughton Hall BB in Laurel Springs is another candidate?

This will be our first time in the area and we have absolutely no idea. Spent couple of hours last night researching, quite an interesting area.

How long does it take to drive from one end (Asheville) to the other?

MP

Have you come across this Travel Planner app from the Blue Ridge Parkway Association? Based on what I've seen though, it will tell you everything you need except travel time.

Here's a discussion of time from the Fodor's Travel forum:
It is up to you & when you'll be driving. The Speed limit is 45 max. thru out (Less than that in high traffic/scenic areas). But if it is a weekend, you'll be doing more like 35 a lot of the time. Part of it is/was closed so you'll have to navigate around that - http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/. To break it up you may want to do part en route & part on the way home. That would probably be my inclination.
And the itineraries listed on the Association website are mostly day trips. :rolleyes:

I don't have much to add, other than it sounds like a great time! Definitely on our short list of things to do once fully retired. We're also looking at the Natchez Trace parkway.

Thanks for all the comments.

My final destination is Mount Airy around the last Saturday of July.

From Asheville to Mount Airy taking BRP, I would like to spend a night along the way before I reach Mount Airy. Is Blowing Rock a good candidate? Doughton Hall BB in Laurel Springs is another candidate?

This will be our first time in the area and we have absolutely no idea. Spent couple of hours last night researching, quite an interesting area.

How long does it take to drive from one end (Asheville) to the other?

MP

Blowing Rock is a nice mountain town and a great place to stay. There's lots of lodging in town - walking distance to many very good dining spots.

If time permits, checkout Pilot Mountain state park near Mount Airy.

get off the parkway at Meadows of Dan , va for Mt Airy. visit the Poor Farmers market, and take Squirrel Spur down the mountain. Maybre mill , on the parkway, is one mile from Meadows of Dan --GOOD food. if you are into 'physical' activity such as hiking or biking, or whitewater rafting i can offer a little info.

Attachments

• 26 (13).jpg
    26 (13).jpg
    641 KB · Views: 13
  • 7 (3).jpg
    7 (3).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 13
Coming from the south it's a bit of backtracking to go to Mabry Mill then to Mt. Airy, but I'd say it's worth it. Mabry Mill is one of the most photographed spots on the Parkway and many people have seen paintings of it and thought it was made up by the artists.

Mt. Airy, of course, cashes in on Andy Griffith who grew up there. You'll see lots of Mayberry references.

Again, watch out for current road maintenance along various stretches. It's got a lot of motorcyclists annoyed lately due to the loose gravel.

Last edited:
maybre mill is one mile from meadows of dan. Squirrell Spur connects meadows of dan with Mt Airy, or 58 to 8 to Mt Airy--they are all beautiful mountain roads!

I don't have much to add, other than it sounds like a great time! Definitely on our short list of things to do once fully retired. We're also looking at the Natchez Trace parkway.

I.live 10 miles from the Natchez Trace. It is beautiful drive south of Nashville to the Tennessee River, but the other 350 miles is really boring. I do drive it the 90 miles to Tupelo, but take 4 lane highways for there when heading southwest.

I was recalling maximums of 35 mph in parts of Virginia. You might want to plan for a test portion with a reasonable exit, just in case. :rolleyes:
35 is the speed limit on Skyline Drive, which is what the BRP turns into inside Shenandoah Natl Park.

There are a few places, for example as you approach NPS visitors centers, where the speed limit drops but for the most part it is 45mph. Often it is slower when you get behind gawkers, but it is a road for gawking, not making time. There are also many curves where you can't maintain 45. It really is a pleasant drive, but it can be demanding on the driver.

You'll pretty quickly find you can't stop at every overlook, or it'll take forever. I'm not sure if there's a website for the "can't miss" overlooks, but you can usually see from the car if it's a drop dead view you shouldn't miss, and that can vary with the weather. But one of the closest ones to me has kind of a narrow opening for parking so you can't really see how great the view is unless you go in.

Back
Top Bottom